Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting deer in Coryell county

Posted By: tejaschaos

Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/12/16 09:44 PM

Greetings,

I got back onto a deer lease with my best Marine Corps buddy this year. My kids are old enough to go out with me now, my 6 year old son is EXCITED! Anyhow, I've never hunted in Coryell County (our place is just southwest of Gatesville) and was wonder if any of you have? What can I realistically expect?

I appreciate anything you may have to offer.
Posted By: KCH

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/13/16 12:41 AM

Should have good numbers and a few good deer if it's not shot out. If you have creek, River or large tank you should have more game. Good luck!

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/13/16 01:49 AM

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it!
Posted By: jsplinter

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/13/16 02:24 AM

I hunt right outside of copperas cove. In this area you will normally have good numbers but not great size.
Posted By: tx hunter

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/13/16 02:46 AM

I hunt between Pidcoke and copperas cove and have seen several nice bucks this year. Typical buck for that area is 13"-14" wide and real spindly lol. But, during the rut I always see one or two monsters that I otherwise would not have seen. Rut doesn't seem to kick in until around thanksgiving week. I'm headed out tomorrow for two weeks straight.

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/13/16 02:55 AM

Here's some examples

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/13/16 02:56 AM

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/13/16 02:58 AM

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/13/16 02:59 AM

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/13/16 03:02 AM

Nothing overly impressive but not as bad as it was 10 years ago before AR's. Back then I was lucky to hunt all weekend and see a spike lol.
Posted By: KCH

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/13/16 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: tejaschaos
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it!

No problem...get a feeder and camera running!

Originally Posted By: tx hunter
Here's some examples

This guy is pretty strong buck...you can tell he's got good genetics!

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/14/16 01:39 AM

I ran down the 2nd week of September and put my feeder/ blind out. Did not leave a camera. I'm really excited for my son to see some deer and have a good time with the guys! I didn't figure there would be huge bucks, but that doesn't really matter to me. I'm looking for volume to keep his eyes busy!

Thank you all!
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/14/16 04:22 PM

We hunt closer to Evant. Numbers haven't been great but getting better year after year.. our place suffered due to mismanagement several years ago, so you could be better off. Good bucks range in the 120-130 range, but seen a few in the 160+ killed in the area. A 140 would be a great trophy for us right now. All kinds of frames to tall basket racks to some 20" plus inside. seen several deer over the years with trash, kickers and stickers.. Our mature bucks weigh around 165-175 live..
The rut really started to kick off this weekend but typically full blown the week of thanksgiving..
we did kill a 5.5 yo 8 at 120 and a 4.5 yo 7 management deer this weekend.. when acorns are thick, hunting can be extremely difficult over feeders like this year but getting better every weekend..

Here's the 8
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/14/16 05:16 PM

I live there and what the others are saying is accurate. Decent numbers in most of the county and a good buck will be 120 - 130. There are however some very big bucks roaming around in certain areas. The Leon River always has some great deer hanging around. Both of these are recent trailcam pics on low fence places near Gatesville. The big 8 point was just south of town on the river and my buddy got him with his bow off of our little 200 acre bow lease. The gnarly looking deer is just north of town, also on the river on some land my boss just bought.

Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/14/16 05:47 PM

we have hunted in coryell county for the past 20 plus years...in a couple different places but always been out west close to the event area... Deer numbers are pretty good...usually turkey and a few hogs too..... The place we are on now has been really good to us. the area has decent numbers of deer and seem to be growing but the quality of bucks is really good...imo...here are a few game cams and bucks we have gotten the past 5 years...

I got this 12 last night...

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/15/16 12:16 PM

I really do appreciate all the pictures and information fellas! My son is so dang excited, but not as excited as I am! It's shaping up to be a great weekend!

God bless
Posted By: BassAssassin88

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 11/15/16 08:20 PM

You'll be good to go. I wish I could upload the pic of a Coryell buck I had on camera. He was shot the following weekend, he was a good one.
Posted By: Chef Shawn

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 12/02/16 02:44 PM

I am hunting just up from mother neff state park anyone hunt this area and have a report any info will be great
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 12/02/16 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Chef Shawn
I am hunting just up from mother neff state park anyone hunt this area and have a report any info will be great

my dad knows a few guys that hunt next door to mother Neff and they always get some really good bucks...
Posted By: Chef Shawn

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 12/02/16 03:16 PM

Right on the river?
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Hunting deer in Coryell county - 12/03/16 06:34 AM

we're near Topsey. This year is turning out to be an excellent year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum