Texas Hunting Forum

How many deer have you killed?

Posted By: 68A

How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:05 PM

Curious as to how many the average hunter has killed.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:06 PM

In a season or lifetime?
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:09 PM

I'm going by lifetime. 50+ for me.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
In a season or lifetime?

Or day?

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:15 PM

Lifetime, obviously. I realize it'll be different for those who have only been hunting for a few years. Flawed poll, not everyone was brought up hunting, I take that for granted.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:17 PM

This is my 11th season and have shot 12 deer.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:22 PM

I never kept count but guessing by how many years I'm hunting I'll be in the 50+ category.
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:24 PM

The very next one will be 200 (145 does, 54 bucks).
Posted By: AmerMirza

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:24 PM

15 in 1 year. My friends dont hunt so I shoot for them as well. Most include Exotics.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: AmerMirza
15 in 1 year. My friends dont hunt so I shoot for them as well. Most include Exotics.

If I read that correctly, and I'm not sure I do, I wouldn't advertise that you're taking more than 5.

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

If I read that correctly, and I'm not sure I do, I wouldn't advertise that you're taking more than 5.

I think he stated "Most include Exotics" or he could be hunting MLD places also. The only limit there is permits issued.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:34 PM

MLD

I have a buddy that did MLD doe hunts for years he would shoot 10 deer a hunt 2 times a day multiple times a year. That's 20+/- deer a day a couple times a year plus his normal hunting.
Posted By: Aggieman775

If he is including exotics I would think he would be fine since you can shoot them whenever. The question is how many of those are whitetail
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Using MLD tags. I've taken 28 in 1 season.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:35 PM

I killed 68 in one season on a MLD lease I had. Mainly because we had 6 other members who pledged to cull but only wanted to hunt trophies. If you think that sounds fun, you should try it sometime. Don't know that I've ever worked harder. No idea how many I've killed in my lifetime. But it's in the many hundreds.

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:41 PM

Using MLD I have taken over 130 in a 5 month MLD season and my lifetime total is a lot.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:47 PM

The doe clean up hunts make for long nights on mld
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:48 PM

I think he stated "Most include Exotics" or he could be hunting MLD places also. The only limit there is permits issued.

I hunt MLD, so I fully get it, but:

This guy was a first-year hunter that asked a ton of questions last year. While he may have access to an MLD place I am betting that he didn't. His statement that 'I shoot for them' implies maybe he tagged his deer with their tags. 'Most include Exotics' is not very clear, either. If I took 15 deer off MLD I would likely mention that in my post.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:57 PM

I'm on lower end, even though I've hunted for more years than I like to admit. Now add turkeys to the mix while in stands and I'm guessing I've shot 50+. Truthfully, I enjoy hunting turkey more than deer, and given a choice between a gobbler and a doe, the turk goes every time. Plus, I am the only venison lover in my house, so 1 deer a year will usually last between seasons.

Guess everyone has their own style, preferences, and opportunities, but what really counts is how much pleasure can be found sitting in a blind when the sun comes up (or goes down) and watching nature, whether you shoot or not. Funny, I spend many hours every year filling feeders, planting food plots, pulling cam pics, cutting trails, scouting, etc., and then have a year like 2015 when I saw deer at every sit, and never fired. I still wouldn't trade a minute of the prep or hunt!

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 02:59 PM

I have been hunting for 26 years, 9 of those were public land only. In 26 years, I've killed 10 deer. There's been years where I've had intentions of shooting a deer but I've found myself just sitting there enjoying watching and enjoying the solitude and peace. To me, it's not always the kill that makes a season, its memories made with my dad and on duck hunts with my friends.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: 68A
I have been hunting for 26 years, 9 of those were public land only. In 26 years, I've killed 10 deer. There's been years where I've had intentions of shooting a deer but I've found myself just sitting there enjoying watching and enjoying the solitude and peace. To me, it's not always the kill that makes a season, its memories made with my dad and on duck hunts with my friends.

Amen!
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 03:39 PM

I haven't killed a deer in over 10 years. I think my kids combined now have more than I do. Thinking once they're out of the house I'll start pulling the trigger again. Until then my job is that of outfitter and guide. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 03:52 PM

This guy was a first-year hunter that asked a ton of questions last year. While he may have access to an MLD place I am betting that he didn't. His statement that 'I shoot for them' implies maybe he tagged his deer with their tags. 'Most include Exotics' is not very clear, either. If I took 15 deer off MLD I would likely mention that in my post.

I agree.. Just a few months ago he was asking basic hunting questions and was just getting started. Now he's killing 15 a yr... Fast learner.. Born killer..
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 03:52 PM

What I wanna know is what is considered "a lot of deer"?

20, 30, 40, 100?

My deer per season went way down in the last two years. Last year I didn't shoot a whitetail at all

Posted By: dogdown23

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 03:58 PM

Your friends dont hunt so u shoot for them as well? So you take your limit then turn around and use your friends tags to kill more?? Just curious where are you from?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 04:09 PM

I am in the 20-50 category, but I think a better pole would be, "How many deer did you kill in your first 5 years of hunting."
That would be 3 for me, but then I was in junior high and could only go when someone would take me.
I don't know how to do the polls but another one I would like to see is,"How many years have you gone before without killing a deer." That would be 6 for me. I Don't have to kill just to be successful on a hunt.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 04:40 PM

Maybe a hundred in my lifetime. Several states includes. Only 3 does out of the whole. banana
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
Maybe a hundred in my lifetime. Several states includes. Only 3 does out of the whole. banana

How many with your rifle vs. with your truck? confused2
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 05:43 PM

Three deer with vehicles and a few hogs with vehicles. Not included in my count. Tree rats, rabbits, bird, and snakes are uncountable. Roadkill just happens. Poisonus snakes are a target alll the time with any weapon.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 05:53 PM

I've been hunting for about 18 years and probably average about 2 a year, so I'll guess 36ish.

I've killed 5 in 2 days on MLD places, but I'd also bet there were years in there I didn't take any before I had my own land.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 05:53 PM

Less than 5 for me....both my boys have shot more than me.....it was more fun taking them than hunting myself....I prefer pigs anyway....
Posted By: redfred

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 07:13 PM

I shot 4 when I was between the ages of 13 and 17, then didn't hunt for a long time, and have now killed 4 between the ages of 55 and 61. I have let a lot more of them walk, because I just want one doe a year for meat, but I really want a nice buck before I give it up. My most memorable deer was actually shot by my son when I took him hunting for the first time.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 07:57 PM

Like Fouzman and STX said, shooting does on an MLD lease is work. Especially when it's hot. I haven't kept tabs, but my personal lifetime number is well north of 100. That doesn't include the dozens that I was dispatched to put down after colliding with cars over the past 27 years.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 08:04 PM

My hunting profile fits one that I saw quite a few years ago and was a general description of the typical deer hunter. "First you want to kill a deer, then to kill a lot of deer, then to kill a big deer. Then, you are not as mad at the deer anymore." I used to hunt to shoot a deer, now I hunt for the enjoyment of hunting and the kill is not the most important part. What is important is the opportunity to get out and hunt and enjoy all that goes with it. Over the years I have shot a good many deer and in the last 15 years have shot but 4 and had the pleasure of seeing many, many more.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 08:18 PM

juggle I think I'm around 68.5 for my lifetime. But I've also never kept up with the last 45 years in the woods. grill Wish I'd kept count of the sacks and links of sausage though! banana
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/02/16 10:02 PM

I stopped counting how many deer I killed along time ago. I killed my first one at 11 and i'm 31, so in 20 years time if I avg. 5 a year I would be at 100, some years I killed less than 5 some years much more. I would venture i'm in the 110-120 big game animal range. I've guided hunters to at least that many too.

most I have killed was 6 in one day + a unlucky turkey.

Posted By: 603Country

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/03/16 12:36 AM

Long ago I lost count. The lifetime total, as best as I can recall, is between 275 and 300 deer. It wouldn't have been that many, but for 5 years or so I had to cull a lot of does in south Texas. The most I've killed in one day was 11 and the most in 10 seconds was 3 (lever action Marlin 336 in 35 Rem in that instance).

Like someone else said, my deer shooting has tailed off in the last few years. I'll put two in the freezer every year now, and continue to search for the big buck (12 points at least). Mostly I focus on pigs and coyotes. Eat the pigs and just do my war dance over the dead coyotes.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/03/16 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: jakebunch
My hunting profile fits one that I saw quite a few years ago and was a general description of the typical deer hunter. "First you want to kill a deer, then to kill a lot of deer, then to kill a big deer. Then, you are not as mad at the deer anymore." I used to hunt to shoot a deer, now I hunt for the enjoyment of hunting and the kill is not the most important part. What is important is the opportunity to get out and hunt and enjoy all that goes with it. Over the years I have shot a good many deer and in the last 15 years have shot but 4 and had the pleasure of seeing many, many more.

This is true for a lot of people. I killed several hundred in my youth, and don't get too fired up to kill a deer anymore. I usually let one of the boys kill mine for me.
My grandfather was completely different. Every year he killed his five opening weekend. He always said, " I didn't come down here to look at them." He would still go every weekend but opening weekend we would always have to process his five and whatever we killed when we got back home. I saw him trade an old massive 13 point for 2 young does one time at a gas station in Rankin.
The old man loved to train dogs and quail hunt but he viewed hunting as going out to get meat. Every day of quail season he hunted after work and ate bird every night.
Mule deer season was the same way. He, my cousin, and I would camp out on the Rio Grande every year, 8 miles from the highway in a tent, for at least a week hunting. My cousin and I always killed nice deer but he would shoot the first buck that showed his head. That's what we would eat on while we camped. Those depression era WW2 vets were a different breed.
Posted By: postoak

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/03/16 03:12 AM

If you look at his posts, it's pretty clear that he was mostly shooting exotics. I only remember him shooting two whitetail does, and I think that was off an MLD place. He has friends and family who want wild game and he gives/sells the meat to them. He didn't mean he shoots and put their tags on the deer.
Posted By: bp3

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/03/16 04:09 AM

To old to count back that far
Posted By: DH3

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/03/16 09:52 AM

Hundreds
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: How many deer have you killed? - 11/03/16 02:55 PM

I think this will be my 48th season. My count is somewhere well north of a hundred. There were quite a few years where I killed 4 or 5 during the season, but recently it's gone down to 1 or sometimes 2 if I decide I want to make sausage. The joy to me is in the hunt, not the kill. Killing a deer is the best way to screw up a perfectly good hunt. cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum