Texas Hunting Forum

Mule deer eating all my corn

Posted By: steven h

Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/26/15 06:29 PM

I bought 120 acres a couple years ago which has both whitetail and mule deer. I have set up a stand and feeder on the property and as soon as the feeder goes off, both morning and evening, it is covered with mule deer does (usually between 15-20) which clear out the corn within 5 minutes. As the does are by permit only and our biologist issues me one doe tag per year, what do you feel is the best way to draw the whitetail in? I see plenty of WT on camera but seems as they are just passing through as I rarely see the same one more than a couple times.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/26/15 09:44 PM

Chec with the game warden, see if he knows of anything. I got nothing.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/26/15 10:26 PM

Start corning the roads by your stand.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/27/15 11:51 AM

Don't know what your place looks like, but maybe you can establish better cover so the whitetail feel more secure.
Posted By: bg75074

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/27/15 02:18 PM

Plant some soybeans or oats maybe?
Posted By: Loanman

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/27/15 02:19 PM

Try putting a protein feeder 20 yds away, if you have a pen around your feeders, add a feeder on the outside for hogs and the fawns will also eat there, when the pigs aren't around.

We do 15 panel pens with stand and fill and protein on inside of pen, bucks and dominant does eat there mostly, then have (Hog) feeder outside of pen, stand and fill, staked down of course, hogs are moving from area to area so alot of the fawns and younger deer will eat from there....not cheap but the deer know where to get groceries.20-30 deer at a time...
Posted By: steven h

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/27/15 10:14 PM

Thanks for the advice! I will give the protein feeder a shot. Do you recommend the second feeder next to the pen or say 150 yards on the other side of the stand?
Posted By: Loanman

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/28/15 01:07 PM

We put it 20 yds away...hogs come in and circle the big pen everytime, deer get worried, then they head over to their feeder and start eating, then deer keep eating....works well when you want to bring in all of your animals to one location.
We have bow blinds in range of everything.
Posted By: jsplinter

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/28/15 04:04 PM

So a regular mule deer doe tag doesn't work in your area? If it does I can come help take out one of those does for you grin
Posted By: txvarminter

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/28/15 06:41 PM

We have both mule deer and whitetail on the place we guide on.
We have found that the mule deer do not like the smaller feed pens. We have several that are only 8-10 cattle panels around and the mule deer don't seem to like them. We set up multiple corn feeders in areas where we see both and stagger the feed times so that everyone gets a chance. And of course we run Total Deer Protein to keep the Mule deer happy, they LOVE it.

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/29/15 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: jsplinter
So a regular mule deer doe tag doesn't work in your area? If it does I can come help take out one of those does for you grin

In most counties that I am aware, MD does are by Antlerless Mule Deer (AMD) permit only, which are issued each year by the local TPWD biologist.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/29/15 02:01 PM

More corn, lots more corn. Feed late morning as well
Posted By: Mikel H

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/30/15 02:32 AM

Bow hunt does.
Posted By: Bowtech1233

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/31/15 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226

In most counties that I am aware, MD does are by Antlerless Mule Deer (AMD) permit only, which are issued each year by the local TPWD biologist.

^^^This
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/31/15 07:43 PM

set them out a giant alfalfa square and put a no mule deer allowed sign on your feeder
Posted By: jsplinter

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 12/31/15 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Bowtech1233

^^^This

Ok wasn't sure, I get the super combo with my military ID and it has a mile deer doe tag so I wasn't sure

Re: Mule deer eating all my corn - 01/01/16 08:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Bowtech1233

^^^This

Ok wasn't sure, I get the super combo with my military ID and it has a mile deer doe tag so I wasn't sure

That throws a lot of people, but always read the regulations for the county in which you're hunting. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum