Texas Hunting Forum

My nephews first Muley

Posted By: Jkd106

My nephews first Muley - 12/01/15 02:26 PM

Thanksgiving weekend, I told my nephew,who is 9, I had a muley buck for him, if he wanted to go with me for the evening hunt. Since I put him on his first WT buck last year he has faith in me as his guide. ( I will never tell him its just luck) He normally shoots a 223 youth model fot WT, but since this deer was a big bodied, older deer, I wanted him to shoot my 280. We practiced with it at camp, letting him aim it and simulated the shot, so we were set.He was totally in, so as we, crunched through frozen broom weeds, to reach the stand, we jumped a muley doe and her younguns. It was cold, sleeting, and blowing at 25 from due north, but I have a good dry box and a buddy heater. As the evening went on, only a doe and fawns showed, it was getting colder and I could tell he was getting bored and uncomfortable. I kept telling him there is still daylight and the big boys sometimes show right at dark. At last light I catch movement, as a deer steps out of a heavy brushed draw, I know its a muley before I pick up the glasses. Sure enough its him, then its go time, I turn in to a quiet and still nazi. Dont move a muscle, I whisper, as my hand holds him in the chair. I open the window, put the gun out, and let him take over. Its really dark gray overcast, late, and this old gray muley is hard to see. I asked, you on him, he said yes. Well when he stops broadside let him have it. The deer stops quartering to us, I said wait not that shot! The deer turns and walks the other way, stops pretty as a picture, you on him, yes, well then shoo(Boom)! The deer never hunches, or moves(uh oh) wait the deer starts walking backwards, I mean straight line, not running just backing. He backs about 20 yds straight up then gets the wobbles, hes done!

Posted By: Duckhawker

Re: My nephews first Muley - 12/01/15 02:28 PM

Great hunt. Crazy what they will do at the shot sometimes. Congrats to your nephew.
Posted By: Bbcat78

Re: My nephews first Muley - 12/01/15 02:28 PM

Outstanding
Posted By: BenBob

Re: My nephews first Muley - 12/01/15 02:32 PM

Young man looks excited. Good for him.
Posted By: Western

Re: My nephews first Muley - 12/01/15 02:41 PM

If they young man smiles any harder, it will be permanent! grin Heck of a deal and no doubt you helped make one f=of his most memorable moments, congrats to you both!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: My nephews first Muley - 12/01/15 04:03 PM

He's gonna split the sides of his mouth smiling so hard. What a great, mature old mulie. Congrats to both of you. cheers
Posted By: dkershen

Re: My nephews first Muley - 12/01/15 04:36 PM

Great job all around!!
Posted By: OffCoor1

Re: My nephews first Muley - 12/01/15 05:50 PM

Congrats to the young man !! clap
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum