Texas Hunting Forum

Oklahoma 8-Point Rifle Video

Posted By: Rob Lay

Oklahoma 8-Point Rifle Video - 12/01/15 04:13 AM

Well, this has been a frustrating hunting year. I had a Oklahoma rifle tag I got when guiding my mom last weekend. After being in Kansas a week today just felt right for hunting today. It had been raining a bunch last several days and today was one of first clear days. I caught up on work this morning and didn't make it to the blind until 3pm. Literally 5 minutes later still unpacking my stuff a doe strolls into food plot. Not a big surprise, but then I see a big body behind her and it was a nice 8! He was calm as she was, but trailing her 25 yards. I prefer to take deer with a bow, but no shame taking them with a rifle either (the buck was 25 yards from one of my bow stands too. :(). Single shot with the 7 mag at 80 yards and he went 15 yards. The largest 8-point I've ever taken at 125". Both of his 3-5' brow tines were broken off or he would be well into 130's. I think a solid mature deer, at least 3.5 yo, we'll see the final results of jaw.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Oklahoma 8-Point Rifle Video - 12/01/15 05:21 AM

Nice !!! Good shot! What caliber
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Oklahoma 8-Point Rifle Video - 12/01/15 05:37 AM

I liked the video. What a nice deer too. Dandy.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Oklahoma 8-Point Rifle Video - 12/01/15 11:58 AM

Nice video
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Oklahoma 8-Point Rifle Video - 12/01/15 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: daniel1381
Nice !!! Good shot! What caliber

7 mag, over kill, but I needed some confidence with the gun after losing that Texas Elk a couple months ago. frown

now I have an archery tag and 6 weeks for a big one. neighbor has a big 12 showing up, so I know there are more than 8's in area. smile

he had 19" inside and 4" bases (and H2's).
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum