Texas Hunting Forum

Mule deer from the house

Posted By: Duckhawker

Mule deer from the house - 11/30/15 04:07 PM

We were at our lease last week. Because of a lot of scheduling conflicts, we had only one day to try to shoot a mule deer. The morning hunt was literally a wash. Pouring rain and 40 mph winds. It calmed down a little midday. We always see plenty of mule deer around the ranch house, so we set up a fixed rifle position to be ready. At 2:30 pm, I was out checking feeders and my fiancee told me she had shot a buck and he was down. It's a cull buck, but it's her first mule deer. The thing was massive. I know it at least weighed 160 and I would guess 180. She's exactly five feet tall, so you can see the body size.

We found two rattlesnakes in the yard. They were probably trying to hibernate under the ranch house. One before it got cold and another snakesickle trying to make it to his hibernaculum in a pouring, 45 degree rain. Before all the snake haters start bashing, yes, I'm a professional herpetologist and the snakes were relocated to hibernate under an old shack. I took one "artistic" photo of the big one.

Posted By: jshouse

Re: Mule deer from the house - 11/30/15 05:10 PM

hibernaculum
Posted By: Duckhawker

Re: Mule deer from the house - 12/01/15 03:07 AM

It's a technical term. smile
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Mule deer from the house - 12/01/15 03:11 AM

'Not a buzz-tail fan, but darn if that picture isn't art.

Congrats to your fiancée. Cute young lady, by the way. And the sniper position is impressive.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Mule deer from the house - 12/01/15 12:32 PM

Congrats to her on the muley. I do not like rattle bugs, but I agree cool picture.
Posted By: JH117

Re: Mule deer from the house - 12/01/15 05:38 PM

Really cool picture!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum