Texas Hunting Forum

Food Plor vs Feeder Where are the deer

Posted By: scdogman

Food Plor vs Feeder Where are the deer - 11/26/15 02:02 PM

I'm in Delta County. I got a cellular game cam on a wheat/oats food plot. I had been seeing deer hitting the plot late evening and early morning to and from bed. Nothing on the plot the last two days. I do have a couple of feeders east and west of the plot.

Are the deer hitting the feeders hard or just not moving?
Anybody with a foodplot seeing much action?

I'll hit the woods Saturday evening. Out of state now.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Food Plor vs Feeder Where are the deer - 11/26/15 03:31 PM

I'm seeing nothing, though my place has plenty of deer. Gotta think it's the acorns the deer are eating, and they don't need to venture into the open to find the acorns. And the warm weather doesn't help.
Posted By: Anytimeoutdoors1

Re: Food Plor vs Feeder Where are the deer - 11/26/15 04:14 PM

This is the greenest November I can ever remember in my 30 years in the woods. It's thanksgiving today and I will be dressed in shorts and shirt sleeves. The cold weather frosts are behind schedule by Atleast a month at my place in real county and comal county. Record rains have left a bountiful feast of greeneries to add to a decent acorn drop that was also a few weeks late. The full moon has also increased nocturnal activity from 2-6 am which doesn't help at all for whitetail hunters. Even the damn hogs have disappeared from my feeder cams they are rooting wild onions all night long in the brush. We need some arctic air to stay with us for a few days with hard freezes to kill all the growing goodies. Animals always prefer what's locally naturally growing food source over anything we hunters try to supplement and treat deer with. They no what's healthier for them and to me this is a sign of a late cold winter to come and they are fattening up to prepare. I got a nice mature buck last week that already had 1/2" of fat on him already. I'm isually dealing with this kind of pattern in early to mid October. Never this late in November. I'm still having movement thru my place just not to feeders. A ground feed spot away from a feeder and on the edge of a good trail helps put meat in the freezer.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Food Plor vs Feeder Where are the deer - 11/26/15 04:15 PM

I've watched bucks hammering the acorns lately. Not to mention, the pasture is green as a golf course. Deer are not hitting feeders at all. mad
Posted By: therock

Re: Food Plor vs Feeder Where are the deer - 11/26/15 04:41 PM

Food plots and feeders have been a waste of time. Went and sit just in the brush watching a large clearing and seen a bunch just grazing through the trees. More than I had seen in several days of watching feeders and plots.

Re: Food Plor vs Feeder Where are the deer - 11/26/15 06:19 PM

Thanks for the info. My celluar cam texting pictures saved me a sit on a non productive food plot. I'll pull the card from my feeder and adjust my plan from there

Hopefully the foodplot comes on later. I put a lot of work and sweat in creating it.

Re: Food Plor vs Feeder Where are the deer - 11/26/15 06:23 PM

Thanks for the info. My celluar cam texting pictures saved me a sit on a non productive food plot. I'll pull the card from my feeder and adjust my plan from there

Hopefully the foodplot comes on later. I put a lot of work and sweat in creating it.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Food Plor vs Feeder Where are the deer - 11/27/15 01:40 AM

When it finally freezes good a couple days in a row the food plots willbe more beneficial. I had spread some corn in my food plot two weeks ago and when I went by there today it was still out there. Nothing, including the cows are hitting the food plot due to so much green out there. I put another strong of electric fence on the food plot to help keep the baby cows out. It is green and good looking, but deer aren't there right now, at least not when I am there.

Give it time, it will be worth your time and effort. Just give it time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum