Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting in the freezing rain

Posted By: Swamped

Hunting in the freezing rain - 11/25/15 10:41 PM

I know there in a hunting in the rain thread going. I was just wondering with the forecast changing to freezing rain does that change anyone thoughts on hunting this weekend or how you would hunt? Thanks Zack.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Hunting in the freezing rain - 11/25/15 10:45 PM

Hard to believe you would have much luck in freezing rain. Give us a report and let us know how good it was.
Posted By: Swamped

Re: Hunting in the freezing rain - 11/25/15 10:53 PM

Will do sir.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hunting in the freezing rain - 11/25/15 11:04 PM

Be watching early afternoon, they might not venture out early morning, but come noontime until dark some will start moving.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Hunting in the freezing rain - 11/25/15 11:14 PM

Betcha either Sunday or Modnay there will be some threads of some bg ole deer shot this weekend. They are rutting and have nowhere else to go. Man I would love to see a couple inches of snow on the ground this weekend.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Hunting in the freezing rain - 11/26/15 01:17 AM

Will be up in pan handle, say about 3"
Posted By: 68A

Re: Hunting in the freezing rain - 11/26/15 01:34 AM

I'll be out in the stand as well. Like the odds a lot better than the wind we had last weekend. I think it'll get them up and moving, especially late morning/afternoon like DC said.
Posted By: Western

Re: Hunting in the freezing rain - 11/26/15 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Be watching early afternoon, they might not venture out early morning, but come noontime until dark some will start moving.

Seen this many times. A short cold front like this barely slows them down and they can wait it out.

I remember one Thanksgiving am, I was hunting with sleet and snow in the forecast. Had deer at the feeder early, then it started a hard sleet, hard like burn your arm kind. Watched every one of those deer walk into the oak trees and bed on the down wind side, right there in front of me. The trees blocked a great amount of the falling sleet, combined with the way the wind was blowing. About half curled up and put their nose under a rear leg, was really neat to watch since I always wondered.

As soon as it was over, they where back up.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Hunting in the freezing rain - 11/26/15 02:07 PM

This buck was shot by my wife on December 27 while it was sleeting and the wind blowing. All the way to the stand I was telling her how much of a waste of time this was going to be. Just goes to show you how smart I am when it comes to predicting the movement of deer. The sleet had stopped by the time we started taking photos. 34 degrees.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Hunting in the freezing rain - 11/26/15 03:30 PM

I like my chances better in the stand than on the couch. Buddy heater, thermos yea Think I am ready.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum