Texas Hunting Forum

My guess at age

Posted By: jsplinter

My guess at age - 11/19/15 09:38 PM

Well thought I was gonna be able to get out hunting this weekend but it doesn't look like good. I decided to go check camera, feeder batteries and fill feeders since I wont be out for a couple weeks. I wanted to take a guess at age to see if I am learning anything.

Im going to guess between 2 and three

Then look at this guys antlers, kind of hard to make out but they look all sorts of messed up.

Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: My guess at age - 11/19/15 09:39 PM

Yep, I'd say 2
Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: My guess at age - 11/19/15 09:49 PM

That's 2 different deer in the first 3 pics. The first is a sort tined 3.5 yr old. The other 2 are a tall tined G3 8 point that I would guess is at least 3.5 and maybe even 4.5 yrs old. The last one is mature and needs to be taken out given the chance.
Posted By: Branden

Re: My guess at age - 11/19/15 09:50 PM

3yr Top and the bottom one 6+ rifletake him out.

Re: My guess at age - 11/19/15 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: cowboybam58
That's 2 different deer in the first 3 pics. The first is a sort tined 3.5 yr old. The other 2 are a tall tined G3 8 point that I would guess is at least 3.5 and maybe even 4.5 yrs old. The last one is mature and needs to be taken out given the chance.

I thought they were two different ones as well but thought they were same age. The last one doesn't look like it would meet AR does it?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: My guess at age - 11/19/15 09:58 PM

1st, 2.5-3.5
2nd, 3.5-4.5
Last, rifle
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: My guess at age - 11/19/15 09:59 PM

Top buck is 2 maybe 3. The buck in the 2nd and 3rd pic I would call him a 4 yr old off the second pic of him. He has the neck, brisket and shoulders to fit that for this time of the year. The last buck is post mature and if he is in velvet, he might be a stag.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: My guess at age - 11/19/15 10:06 PM

top buck 3 second buck 4 last buck old.. lol very old

Re: My guess at age - 11/19/15 10:09 PM

You guys are saying shoot the last buck but I can't can I? He isn't going to make the 13in

Re: My guess at age - 11/19/15 10:15 PM

I see one unbranched antler

Re: My guess at age - 11/19/15 10:15 PM

depending on were its base is

Re: My guess at age - 11/19/15 10:26 PM

Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: My guess at age - 11/19/15 11:23 PM

I got 3.5, 4.5 and very, very old.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 12:35 AM

I'd say 3.5 & 4.5
That last pic's not a good one to judge AR. Deer is old.
Posted By: Bruce33

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 12:54 AM

This

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
1st, 2.5-3.5
2nd, 3.5-4.5
Last, rifle

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
I see one unbranched antler

trout What deer are you looking at? trout

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: jsplinter
You guys are saying shoot the last buck but I can't can I? He isn't going to make the 13in

He is not a legal buck.

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

He is not a legal buck.

what if that one point is its own beam... they don't say how many they just say at least one..

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 04:01 PM

He is not a legal buck.

what if that one point is its own beam... they don't say how many they just say at least one..

He only has one base on each side. Do the math grin
Posted By: BuffaloSpringsRD

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 04:03 PM

He is not a legal buck.

LOL roflmao

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 04:06 PM

He is not a legal buck.

true but if that bottom point on his right side has its own base and not coming off of the bigger MB then its a beam itself... = one unbranched antler

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 04:10 PM

true but if that bottom point on his right side has its own base and not coming off of the bigger MB then its a beam itself... = one unbranched antler

Nav, that deer only has 2 bases... one on each side. He (by B&C) scoring system will have a mainbeam on each side with points off of that mainbeam. It is simple, he is not legal with points off of each mainbeam. Those points can be anywhere or anyplace on the mainbeam and still be branched from it.

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 04:22 PM

I have a game warden office across the road from my shop. I am going to go ask them in a little bit what they say. Hopefully they can clarify it all

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 04:34 PM

Nav, that deer only has 2 bases... one on each side. He (by B&C) scoring system will have a mainbeam on each side with points off of that mainbeam. It is simple, he is not legal with points off of each mainbeam. Those points can be anywhere or anyplace on the mainbeam and still be branched from it.

That's what im saying it wouldn't be on the main beams.. it would be an extra point coming off of another part of his skull with skin inbetween it and the other two MBs.

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 04:43 PM

this is all theory though roflmao grin

Re: My guess at age - 11/20/15 04:46 PM

Game warden says it's not legal from this picture. He will probably die of old age
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum