Texas Hunting Forum

High Winds

Posted By: TX TCAT

High Winds - 11/19/15 03:34 PM

Interested in what the hunting tactics are for days when there are high winds since Saturday's forecast is calling for wind speeds of 20-30 mph. Is it best to hunt the low areas? Will the deer even move?
Posted By: TravisP

Re: High Winds - 11/19/15 03:43 PM

Inside thick cover works for me. They have to eat and shitt still
Posted By: DH3

Re: High Winds - 11/19/15 03:46 PM

I have not had a lot of success during high winds. Light rain is a completely different story.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: High Winds - 11/19/15 03:46 PM

They're cautious about moving in high winds and will usually be pretty skittish. But this time of year the bucks will still move, and if you aren't in the field you can't kill one. Sunday morning after the winds lay should also be a great hunt.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: High Winds - 11/19/15 03:51 PM

If there are any hills, hunt the sides of the hills protected from the wind and any low thick places. Deer are extra jumpy when the wind blows, but they can be predictable also.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: High Winds - 11/19/15 03:51 PM

I am looking forward to Sunday after the winds quit.
Posted By: TravisP

Re: High Winds - 11/19/15 03:52 PM

Going to be a ice box out there sunday. Perfect conditions for moving deer!

Re: High Winds - 11/19/15 04:19 PM

Yea, Sunday definitely looks like prime conditions. Looks like I'll be getting home late Sunday night.
Posted By: joeycoates

Re: High Winds - 11/19/15 05:46 PM

I watched a little spike two weeks ago when it was very, very windy in East Texas. He was jumpy, but he still wanted to eat acorns and visit his scrapes (that were being hit by several bucks). He still came out though. While I do not anticipate a whole lot of movement on Saturday, they will still be out chasing so I would rather be out as well. Sunday however looks to be promising. I took off all of next week to hunt so I will be out every day Saturday through Wednesday morning and then again on Friday through Sunday. Bound to see something (I hope!)
Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: High Winds - 11/19/15 09:59 PM

In our area they are used to the wind blowing. It doesn't seem to really bother them. I've seen as many big bucks out then as any other time.
Posted By: Branden

Re: High Winds - 11/19/15 10:24 PM

If the deer didnt move in Paducah where I hunt they would die, cause it always blows.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: High Winds - 11/19/15 10:41 PM

find the deer to be more skittish with the wind blowing. They like to use their ears to help detect what's around. As mentioned above, if you can find a draw or back side of hill out of the wind or thick cover, you're going to better your chances. If the rut is still going good, there will be some bucks moving regardless. The thought of "Doe-reen" is too much for those guys to just lay down!!!
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: High Winds - 11/19/15 11:03 PM

I love to still hunt / stalk in the wind.
Start on the south end of your property and slowly wokr north. Seen some of my best bucks on long slow still hunts.
Posted By: huntincoach

Re: High Winds - 11/20/15 02:16 AM

^^^this
Posted By: Curly

Re: High Winds - 11/20/15 02:45 AM

If the bucks are in rut in your area, wind shouldn't matter.
Posted By: Anytimeoutdoors1

Re: High Winds - 11/20/15 03:52 AM

I just whacked a nice buck in 30+ mph winds. He's was definatly skittish. The reason I looked at him for a full 7 seconds before I squeezed. He was ready to bolt and even stepped quatered like he was going to run.
He Was the only deer we saw that day with the nasty winds. Next morning calm winds and cool deer moved again. Small windows of calm winds that have been blowing hard for a few days are always good for me. This weekend is looking great. We are here and ready. Hope to get a client of mines 6 yr old daughter her first deer. Good luck to everyone... May ur shot fly tru...
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: High Winds - 11/20/15 12:48 PM

Yep, thought crossed my mind too! have a blind near the woods, kinda out of way,
out of the wind. One thing for sure deer will be skidish! big boys will be laying low,
i know for sure unless your in a rut area, then you might get lucky!

Looking for meat this weekend, sausage on the stick!.... deformed buck or devils deer!
or my little porkers around?

hunt safe.....

Re: High Winds - 11/20/15 12:55 PM

I'm headed out this afternoon. The forecast actually has the wind dying down around 5pm tomorrow afternoon. Should make for a solid evening hunt. I've got one spot in mind that fits all the descriptions above of good hunting areas (low spot, south side of a hill, thick cover, lots of doe activity), and I plan on camping out there all weekend.

Good luck to everyone out there!
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: High Winds - 11/20/15 06:02 PM

So true Branden! Haha
Posted By: deerslayer96

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 11:29 AM

My tactics when it's windy like this? Stay in bed! It's 25 mph winds gusting to 30s.
Posted By: shadams

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 12:25 PM

Dead quiet here...high hopes...
Posted By: Outfishdya

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 12:44 PM

Took a 15 point opening weekend when it was calm. Gonna sit out this morning. That wind is insane. Gusts have to be pushing 40 in Knox County. Good luck to yall
Posted By: shadams

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 01:30 PM

Just as it got daylight all hell broke loose...the only deer I have seen are running around everywhere...gonna tough it out a bit...
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 01:41 PM

It's blowing in Comfort hard only seen one deer.
Posted By: Fat Tire

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 01:48 PM

Have 2 does at the feeder and my buddy has a 9pt that's borderline legal at his. Surprised to see anything moving in this wind.
Posted By: banderabound

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 02:04 PM

I'm sitting in it right now. Wind is horrible.

Saw a little 2.5 y/o 5-point half hour ago. Heading to camp. This sucks!!!
Posted By: jsplinter

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 02:09 PM

Atleast you all are seeing stuff. I'm in it and haven't seen a thing yet
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 02:12 PM

Rough up on this ridge this Mng ....ROUGH
Posted By: Espy

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 02:17 PM

nothing at the feeder this mornin usually have a couple of small bucks and a few doe. nada this mornin. I only hunt 10 mins from the house so I am posting from the house. The wind won today
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Rough up on this ridge this Mng ....ROUGH
Scooter, it sounds like it could end up being a "bloody Mary morning" cheers
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 03:27 PM

Gonna be some good bucks taken from now thru Thanksgiving weekend. Cooler days will help that. And he will follow her wherever she goes. In the draws would be a good place to start! JMO
Posted By: js4242

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 04:20 PM

Brutal here in eastland. Sticking it out with a 7 and 10 year old. They're being troopers. Boy wants his first deer. Nothing yet and I don't have high hopes for today.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 04:38 PM

We just had a guy take an old 7 point with a crossbow at 10am. I already had breakfast cooked and feet up.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 07:13 PM

We hunted most protected setup here in Southern Oklahoma until 11:30 and didn't see a thing. I'm optimistic for tonight wind starts really dying after 4 pm and those bucks will be extra motivated to move. Hunting Wednesday and Thursday the bucks were cruising like crazy, saw 2 different shooters bow hunting. Trying to get my 75 yo mom on rifle buck this weekend.
Posted By: PiePuncher

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 07:25 PM

I have been going out about twice a week since opening day of bow season and I have noticed that I see much less on windy days. The deer just don't move as much.
As someone else stated, Sunday evening should be money. I too will be out and will probably get in trouble for getting home late.
Posted By: tx hunter

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 07:51 PM

I'm sittin in mine now. Stand faces the north so I'm gettin blasted. The wind is actually picking the front of the stand off the ground every now and then lol. I am seeing deer though..

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 09:35 PM

Back at it after a short break. Wind still blowing and kids motivation is down. Not as bad as the morning though.
Posted By: TurkeyWhisperer

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 10:13 PM

I'm in the blind with my son in Palo Pinto county. Wind is starting to lay down a little now. Hoping to see some deer moving soon!

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 11:06 PM

Ripped cedars for 4 hours through lunch on the other side of the property. Back in the blind. Lots of wind. Tons of dove. No deer. Got a stew going that'll be done at 6:30. Sure hope I miss supper!!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: banderabound
Ripped cedars for 4 hours through lunch on the other side of the property. Back in the blind. Lots of wind. Tons of dove. No deer. Got a stew going that'll be done at 6:30. Sure hope I miss supper!!

up

Re: High Winds - 11/21/15 11:42 PM

Reckon the winds win. I'm starting to shiver.

With the exception of a 5 pt and 2 jack rabbits, I have seen nothing today.

Re: High Winds - 11/22/15 02:57 AM

Ended up seeing 9 doe but no bucks. All doe started to move after 5 when the wind started to die down. Saw the Bucks opening weekend, none today. Any theories out there as to why they might have been following the does. Already with another lady??? In eastland btw.
Posted By: Outfishdya

Re: High Winds - 11/22/15 05:00 AM

Wind didn't slow em down at all. It was brutal, but they were all over the wheat fields. Every hunter saw animals and I was the only person who didn't shoot. I saw a great buck in the neighbor's wheat. I looked like he was going to knock on their camper door.
We had 2 misses today, but a miss by the father became the sson's luck as a spike came out an hour later and the 15 year old showed his dad how is was done. Dropped the deer in the same spot his father missed.
His dad took huge pig shortly there after.
30 mile an hour gust. Hunt the fields
Posted By: D6Ranch

Re: High Winds - 11/22/15 05:27 AM

I didn't hunt today but saw around 20 deer and 10 turkey here by the cabin. Seen a interesting buck just a little down the road, he was an 8pt but the right side of his rack grew down behind his ear. Most likely a injury earlier in the year and will be back to normal next year.

The wind was brutal. I didn't even want to climb up on one of the feeders to fill it.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: High Winds - 11/22/15 12:58 PM

Our winds died down with about 90 minutes left of shooting, but it didn't improve the activity. Looks like bucks moved about midnight, saw 2 different ones on camera half mike apart.

Posted By: waderaider1

Re: High Winds - 11/22/15 01:30 PM

Eight pt pased back and forth along fence before coming over yesterday evening. Old Dime Box , Lee cty.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: High Winds - 11/22/15 06:01 PM

I climbed in the stand in Gorman, Tx, Eastland Co. at 3:30 Saturday, with the wind still whipping pretty dang good. I wasn't expecting any action till closer to dark when the wind was projected to die down. At 3:37, this buck busted across the field, headed straight into the wind. I can only assume he was looking for love grin instead of love, he found a 30-30 160 gr Hornady LeveRevolution and didn't make it out of the clearing rifle

Re: High Winds - 11/23/15 09:16 PM

In Throckmorton, we opted out of the morning hunt on Saturday. It was gusting 30-35mph, and judging by some of the comments from Saturday on this thread, we may have made the right decision. We decided to get in the blinds early on Saturday afternoon. The forecast called for the wind to die down around 4, and the weatherman was actually right. According to the on hunter that hunted a wheat field, the wheat fields were loaded with deer. Said he saw 12 does being chased and pushed around by 3 young bucks. As the sun went down, this guy peaked out into the field to get in on the action. I guess he bit off more than he could chew... I especially like his brow tines.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum