Texas Hunting Forum

Age?

Posted By: Jase

Age? - 11/16/15 03:04 PM

Is this guy 3.5? I hope he makes it through though I don't know if he'll get wide enough to be legal.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 03:11 PM

Young deer, 2 yr old maybe a 3 with better pics. Can't tell how wide he will ever be at this age. My guess is he will be much wider at 5 yrs old.
Posted By: HuntingJunkie

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 03:17 PM

Looks like a 2yr old to me.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 03:43 PM

Could be a stud yearling, normal 2.5 yr old, or a thin 3.5. If he's 2.5, I don't know that he'll be a lot wider later in life, but I bet he'll be legal in a year or two. If he's a yearling, he still has a ton of potential. If 3.5, get on him early next year and see if he's legal.
1.5 - 20%
2.5 - 70%
3.5 - 10%
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Young deer, 2 yr old maybe a 3 with better pics. Can't tell how wide he will ever be at this age. My guess is he will be much wider at 5 yrs old.

cheers

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 05:18 PM

That's why I asked. I suck at judging age. This is a new lease to me and only have this and that ugly buck on camera. Have a nubbin or two showing up also.

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 05:19 PM

Move your camera around on trails, water sources and scrapes to see what activity you are not seeing at your feeder.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 05:29 PM

Are you able to mow that pasture?

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 05:30 PM

Lots of healthy oak trees in that pic too.. gona be a while before they start hittin corn hard again..

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

You think they are hiding in them broomweeds Nav? hammer

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Navasot

You think they are hiding in them broomweeds Nav? hammer

grin I don't think they like walking through broom weeds... and would make way for a nice plot... unless that's an active creep feeder I see
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 05:44 PM

I'd be very suprised if that deer is older than 2.5

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 05:52 PM

I don't have the equipment to mow it as much as I'd like to. I have thought about a food plot in a couple of areas on this lease but have nothing to do them with. Plus have to keep the cows out of it.

The broom weed is crazy at this place. It is waist high in most areas. Didn't run into this stuff in the hill country where I used to hunt so I hope a good freeze will kill the stuff.

Lots of game trails through the broom weed and when it's been wet we get tracks all over the place so plenty of potential. It's just me and another guy on this lease and my first time "managing" one and first time in an AR county.

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 05:55 PM

na aint worth messin with a plot unless you can keep cows out..

How thick is it inside those oaks
Posted By: Cast

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 05:57 PM

Cut that broom weed a few times and grass will begin to replace it.

Re: Age? - 11/16/15 06:00 PM

You can rent a tractor and shredder in many locations to shred them if the landowner is okay with it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum