Texas Hunting Forum

These deer are not coroporating

Posted By: jsplinter

These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 01:17 PM

See day on my cam all night long but they won't come out in the daytime. So frustrating
Posted By: Tenacious Hunter

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 01:23 PM

I have the same thing going on and read another thread that asked how much corn was being thrown in the evening and if there was corn left on the ground past sunset. Makes complete since, if you throw just enough in the evening that none is left over then they have nothing to eat at 2 am! I am adjusting my feeders after the hunt this Sunday to see if it helps!

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 01:26 PM

I thought about that too last night, but there are so many other hunters around that I am worried about them just going elsewhere to eat at night
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 01:46 PM

The deer have pretty much stopped coming to my feeders for the last couple weeks. The acorn crop is very good this year, and until they sour, the deer probably won't come to the feeders.

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 01:55 PM

Mine are coming to the feeder, they are just coming at night

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 01:58 PM

Also there is a black cat probably 30-40 pounds roaming around the feeder that I can't get a pic of because of the distance but I feel like he is messing some stuff up
Posted By: Someone

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 02:02 PM

they need a feeder timer you can control remotely with your "smart" (stupid) phone

then from the comfort of home you can change the throw time 5 minutes a day until you get the deer showing up when you want

start out at night/early am and over a month you could change the time 2.5 hours even with just 5 minutes a day (30 days X 5 minutes a day = 150 minutes = 2.5 hours)
Posted By: Western

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: jsplinter
Mine are coming to the feeder, they are just coming at night

That is after they have been to their preferred foods. Your corn is a tiny part of their diet, the "dessert" so to speak.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 02:04 PM

Quit hunting feeders and hunt travel corridors, edges of bedding areas, etc.

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 02:05 PM

That would be cool
Posted By: wtr

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 02:09 PM

Also there is a black cat probably 30-40 pounds roaming around the feeder that I can't get a pic of because of the distance but I feel like he is messing some stuff up

roflmao stir banana

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

^^^^this, where they are finding groceries as well.
Posted By: noland

I kinda have to disagree about not having any corn left over after dark. If the deer are feeding after dark then I want there to be corn left so that if they do walk by they now they can get corn there. Maybe where you have your feeder set up is not a place they travel or feed during daylight hrs. The deer are somewhere during the day and that's where u need to be set up. Just an opinion

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: wtr

roflmao stir banana

Would this not mess up the deer or keep it away?

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 02:16 PM

Are talking about a house cat,if so no. I have deer chase my daughter cats all the time. Lawd I love those deer that do that grin
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

^^^^this, where they are finding groceries as well.

Yep. We have a food plot that we don't really hunt, but we had a buck a few years ago that would show up there just about the time you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. However, I figured out his path, moved about 400 yards up the trail, and got a good look at him with plenty of shooting light left. He ended up living another year but it shows sometimes you have to change it up.

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 02:21 PM

No not at all. We do have some house cats running around. And this thing is no where near as little as a house cat. We were out checking the cams last week at night and got circled by a large cat that would not leave from rocks being thrown or anything we did. We left and asked the neighbor if they had ever seen anything. They said the old owner said he saw a very large black cat several times. if it is a house cat it has to be a world record size.

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 02:43 PM

Well, to be honest, there has never been a documented "black" cat iirc in Texas. And from this article maybe 5 in the world, within the range of cats here.

Here is a great read on them and one existing photo of one from 1959 in Costa Rica

http://karlshuker.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-truth-about-black-pumas-separating.html

Cats are so illusive, they are hardly ever seen, even once captive ones, revert quickly to their instincts to avoid people. Not sure what you and your bud ran into though.

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 02:47 PM

You may consider how often and when you are checking your TC, sounds like you may be at your feeder more than deer, you don't want that unless you do it year round. I would also say, let the deer have your lease at night, they don't tolerate intrusion well, unless it is a daily routine.

I live where I hunt and the deer know me pretty well, they also know which dogs I have that are in a pen and who my German Shepperd is, since I take her walking everyday. They will run from her, but will stand by the dogs fence and look at the others.

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 03:00 PM

I will try and get a pic of it, even if it's a longe range. I know we are probably out there too much. We just got the land the week before opener so we are trying to tweak everything.

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 03:04 PM

I will try and get a pic of it, even if it's a longe range. I know we are probably out there too much. We just got the land the week before opener so we are trying to tweak everything.

Understandable, but not good for your hunting IMO. You will have all summer to tweak (work your azz off) grin

Is this land you bought or a lease?

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 03:09 PM

I'm renting until I find out I can get water then I'm buying

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 03:16 PM

If your neighbors have water, you should be able to as well. BTW, that is something I would try to put in the loan if I had to, best to do with cash to avoid the interest, but it sure isn't cheap to get a well these days.

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 03:23 PM

Ya the neighbors have water. Just need to make sure it isn't at max capacity. I have high hopes. I just need to get a couple doe for meat this year then I will get it set up for next year. I don't like where the previous owner has the blind set up. I have already learned a lot from the cameras on where the deer are coming from I just don't want to get to crazy with making changes. Overall it has been a great learning experience and am happy to have gotten all the advice I have from here and look forward to the years to come. The best part is I got my 10 year old out for his first time in the blind last weekend

Re: These deer are not coroporating - 11/14/15 03:26 PM

10-4 on getting your 10yo out, that is the real reason for all this if you have kids. If the neighbors have water, you should be fine, could be any kind of set up you need I.E. slow well with above ground holding tank, to a high production srt8 well, it can be done easy enough, for a price.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum