Texas Hunting Forum

Best opening weekend ever!

Posted By: gunnut81

Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 12:39 PM

First if anyone can help posting pics if really appreciate it every time I have tried it has gone wrong.

This weekend went as good as any could go in north central Texas, on Saturday evening I went and sat in a little (emphasis on little) spot we cleared out in some very thick woods between the double mountains in Palo Pinto County. This spot is only 40 yards from stand to feeder and I have had my doubts about it because we always get good bucks on camera but I have never seen anything but a hog in person so I figured the set up wasn't right it's a double tree stand only about 6 ft off the ground 40 yards from the feeder in an area barely big wide enough to drive a pickup through. I got there exhausted as usual on opening day from the first day of getting up at 4:45 am and downing 5 hour energy several times that day just to stay awake. About 40 minutes in I look up and see a nice 10pt walk in I recognize him from the camera I knew I had to act fast so I procedded to blow his lungs up with my faithful Browning 270. He was one of only two bucks on our hit list and I nailed him.
On Sunday morning I took my friends son to my spot just a couple miles away in Erath Co his dad is blind so I take him hunting since he can't. We saw a ton of deer mostly does we got to see two little bucks fight under the feeder and does toy with the young bucks, we don't shoot does and no legal bucks but it was a great morning. That evening I went back to the same stand for an evening hunt about an hour and a half in I saw a big body appear at the feeder then he raised his head he was a heavy horned 8 pt possibly one that got away from me last Thanksgiving that I never got a shot off at. I raised my rifle and dropped him. So now I'm done in Palo Pinto Co and Erath Co and on to my property in Hood Co. I am lucky I happen to live in an area where I have property in 3 counties to hunt.

I'd would like to post the pics if anyone can show me how.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 12:52 PM

I use photobucket and hit the share button, then copy\paste the [img] code.

You can also upload images from your device using this symbol....
In the top left of the main reply screen.
Posted By: jsplinter

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 01:00 PM

Pm sent
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 01:40 PM

worthless
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 02:11 PM

Why don't you shoot does?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Why don't you shoot does?
Not enough deer. We don't shoot doe either. Can someone post his pics? Great job taking your friends Son hunting, gunnut. up
Posted By: Western

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 03:36 PM

Cant wait to see the photos, but in the mean time, congrats, sounds like a textbook hunting weekend for you brudda up

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 03:38 PM

I sent him a PM with my email but he hasnt read it yet
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 03:45 PM

Congrats, can't wait for pics
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 03:48 PM

worthless
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 04:00 PM

popcorn
Posted By: lsbrim

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 04:12 PM

Waiting for pics!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 04:23 PM

Where da pics??????
Posted By: Randallc

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 04:40 PM

confused2
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 05:37 PM

Guess I never realized ARs were per county and you could take multiple deer that were 13" or greater if they weren't the same county. Makes sense, it just didn't occur to me.

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Guess I never realized ARs were per county and you could take multiple deer that were 13" or greater if they weren't the same county. Makes sense, it just didn't occur to me.

yup its an awesome rule!

I live on a 4county line
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

yup its an awesome rule!

I live on a 4county line

My father-in-law and I have this conversation every year. He'll shoot a legal buck in Houston County then he'll say he can only shoot one buck in Kimble Co. Kimble is a 2 buck county and he says that it's 2 bucks total regardless of county. I tell him we have 3 buck tags for a reason. He says it's only for 3 buck counties. It goes on and on.

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Originally Posted By: Navasot

yup its an awesome rule!

I live on a 4county line

My father-in-law and I have this conversation every year. He'll shoot a legal buck in Houston County then he'll say he can only shoot one buck in Kimble Co. Kimble is a 2 buck county and he says that it's 2 bucks total regardless of county. I tell him we have 3 buck tags for a reason. He says it's only for 3 buck counties. It goes on and on.

It use to be like that until recently.. very happy with the change
Posted By: YanceyTX_Hunter

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 06:36 PM

no pics yet huh?

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: YanceyTX_Hunter
no pics yet huh?

Nothing sent to me yet
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Best opening weekend ever! - 11/10/15 10:45 PM

hello??