Texas Hunting Forum

Opening Weekend Conundrum

Posted By: Big_Ag

Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/06/15 04:52 PM

It never fails, and I am positive I will see this when I head out later today. Who are these guys that are hauling deer blinds and feeders out to hunt this weekend? Are they day leasing or just really bad procrastinators? I could understand if someone said they were taking replacements out that were damaged from recent floods, but I see this every year in wet and dry years on the Friday before opening day. It has always made me scratch my head. And yes, I am pretty worthless at work today.
Posted By: TXduckCommander

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/06/15 04:59 PM

It never fails. I drive from Stephenville to Brownwood everyday for work and this morning I passed a guy hauling a feeder and a blind.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/06/15 05:00 PM

I'm dreading my drive out I-10W to 35S this afternoon. There will be a million bubbas towing trailers and driving in the left lane, especially between here and San Antonio. Drives home are just as bad on Sundays. I can't believe these folks haul all their stuff back and forth all season long. But I'm not coming back until Monday, the 17th so that drive won't be too bad. Everyone drive safe, be patient and good luck!
Posted By: huntincoach

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/06/15 05:17 PM

I'm not even heading out til sunday after church. But not coming back till tuesday banana
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/06/15 05:48 PM

I saw three different trucks hauling feeders in Sherman this morning. All headed west!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/06/15 05:51 PM

Heck, I gotta work Sunday updating the system and then work all next week to get the bumps out. I have 14 days of vacation saved up and the boss is terrified to be here without me. I am not honored by that. I might get to hunt Thanksgiving.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/06/15 05:55 PM

We have guys at the lease that set up the the before season (today). They trim trees, set feeders, etc.
Oddly they seem to shoot just as good of deer as everyone else that have been set for years. Ticks me off.
Posted By: blindcowboy

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/06/15 06:07 PM

I have neighbors like that. It annoys me but I figure it helps me in the long run. They own their land and from what I understand from others, I don't know them, live about an hour and a half away. They will show up opening morning morning and set up feeders. In almost 3 years of owning the place we haven't ever seen them there outside of deer season. I figure the pressure they put on on their side of the fence and the change of routine just pushes the deer in my direction.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/06/15 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: TXduckCommander
It never fails. I drive from Stephenville to Brownwood everyday for work and this morning I passed a guy hauling a feeder and a blind.

East Texas Hunters..
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/06/15 07:23 PM

Went to the feed store this morning for alphalpha. I was the only person of about a dozen that wasn't wearing camo and buying corn.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/07/15 01:09 AM

I know of a few places that did not allow hunters on their lease till opening weekend. Strange setup but the guys have been on that lease since 1989. I do think now they can go out a few times a year to check feeders.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/07/15 02:57 AM

It doesn't take some guys very long to get it out of their system. They show up the day before the season opener and hunt until 8:30 or 9 the next morning. Once they get back to camp and grab a bite, they start busting caps. About three weeks into the season, they're back to watching TV and playing video games.
Posted By: kmkellar

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/07/15 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
I'm dreading my drive out I-10W to 35S this afternoon. There will be a million bubbas towing trailers and driving in the left lane, especially between here and San Antonio. Drives home are just as bad on Sundays. I can't believe these folks haul all their stuff back and forth all season long. But I'm not coming back until Monday, the 17th so that drive won't be too bad. Everyone drive safe, be patient and good luck!

I sure hope you got out before all that mess in Brookshire this afternoon. It took me an hour and a half to get from Katy to Sealy...and yes there were a few stands on trailers in that backup.

X2 - Everybody have a great opening weekend and be safe out there!
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/07/15 03:54 AM

I put up a stand and a couple feeders this week the LO suggested I do something in a pasture that I had not had permission to hunt until last week so, you never know the story.
Posted By: jrpbullrider

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/07/15 04:10 AM

I am very glad I am only about 6 to 7 miles from my hunting area. and can go out year round.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/07/15 04:13 AM

I have had the same thoughts for years. However i was guilty today and all i could think about was how dumb i looked. This was just a replacement stand for an alternate location but nevertheless i felt ignorant.
Posted By: Western

Re: Opening Weekend Conundrum - 11/07/15 04:33 AM

Got that beat, I didnt have a license until Friday evening. Went to 2 walmarts throughout the week after work (2-3am) and they said their sporting goods section was closed? WTH? Azle and Lake Worth wally worlds bang

So at 5pm today, I go to Decatur walmart figuring I would be the only dumb azz that hadn't got a license yet, nope, I stood in a 30 minute line.............But now I'm legal up

You never know what is going on out of the thousands of folks hitting the stand in the morning.

Good luck tomorrow fellas and safe hunting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum