Texas Hunting Forum

I am curious about just how far you are willing to

Posted By: Deerhunter61

I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 01:04 AM

Take a shot with a rifle at a deer this coming Saturday? Curious if it would change based on the animal?

First is a doe:
100yds
200yds
300yds
400yds
500yds
750yds
1000yds

Second is a cull buck:
100yds
200yds
300yds
400yds
500yds
750yds
1000yds

Third is a Trophy buck:
100yds
200yds
300yds
400yds
500yds
750yds
1000yds

Guys, I am really requesting honest answers here which means having the rifle, scope etc in which to make the shot.

This is the first year I have ever hunted when I have the rifle/scope combo along with appropriate practice where I would consider taking a shot beyond 200 yards on a buck.

So my answers are as follows:

Doe - Perhaps as far as 500 yards depending on the conditions which I will define below. That being said I won't have to because I will have a chance at a much shorter distance and I will always take the shorter shot.

Cull Buck - As far as 500 yards again depending on conditions.

Trophy Buck - I am pretty sure I won't take a shot at more than 300 yards.

The conditions I am talking about is the wind. The wind would need to be pretty sedate in order for me to attempt a shot beyond 300 yards.

As for a hog I would take a shot out to 1200 yards.

And just for the record. I have two 6.5 Creedmoor rifles that I have shot at long range and with my custom Creedmoor I have been able to hit out to 1200 yards in relatively calm conditions. In high gusty winds I wouldn't even think of shooting a deer at more than 300 yards.

Please guys do not make this about the ethics of taking said shots at least beyond your own ethics, IE: For me to shoot beyond XXX yards would be unethical. And please do not infer that those who would are unethical. I have come to realize that the shots above taken by someone who has the ability and equipment is just not that difficult.
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 01:12 AM

1000 yds iron sights. 30-30 Model 94 150'grain bullet

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Kenny Powers
1000 yds iron sights. 30-30 Model 94 150'grain bullet

Thanks for being so honest....and serious
Posted By: 8th1

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 01:26 AM

About 200 yards on all of the above for me.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 01:29 AM

With the wind and rain we have forecasted I don't have a clue.
Posted By: swmays

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 01:38 AM

200+ max for me. Not 300.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 01:44 AM

400 max on a trophy, if I have a rock solid rest. I don't shoot Does or Culls, I let the kids take care of those. 400 max on Hogs. All my rifles are sighted in at 200.
Posted By: tlk

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 01:47 AM

doe, cull??? 300-400 max. A trophy deer that is worthy of respect for who he is? 200 max.

I get the allure of long range shots. Do it all you want. But for me when it comes to a trophy animal there are too many variables. As you stated - wind alone is a factor that causes mistakes. On our lease a shot at a trophy buck that is more than 200 yards is not allowed. A majestic animal deserves the respect of minimizing any errors. If I see a trophy that is more than 200 yards I go after him - that means stalking and trying to do a sneak on him to within 200 yards - it is called hunting - not shooting.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 01:49 AM

Why are some deer worthy of more respect than others? Why are some animals more respectable than others?
Posted By: rickym

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: 8th1
About 200 yards on all of the above for me.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 01:57 AM

300 on all the above. I don't shoot as much as I used too and wouldn't trust my shot beyond that right now.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 01:58 AM

My longest shot ever on a deer was 284 yds. measured with a range finder. I won't shoot beyond 200 unless I know the exact distance. Also, I have a ballistic plex scope so I don't have to guess hold over. If the wind is howling, I won't take a shot much over 100. Just my personal preferences. I'll sling lead at a hog no matter the distance.
Posted By: passthru

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 02:15 AM

I'm happy to shoot 30 yards and under from my bow stands.
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 02:17 AM

Longest shot from any of my stands is 600 yards. I've shot yotes at that range, but not deer.

Doubtful I take a shot at a buck from over 200 yards and likely much closer. I can't tell a trophy from some of the culls at 400 yards, so I wouldn't take the shot. I question those who say they can. I'm the only hunter on 450 family owned acres and have had that privilege for almost 20 years. I know my herd well, but not well enough to risk a mistake. Granted, I'm picky having taken 3 "trophies" in those 20 years and the first two wouldn't be trophies today.

Will say terrain makes a big difference. When I mule deer hunted on the plains, taking 600 yard shots wasn't out of question. Can't have a shot half that distance on place I currently hunt without many trees and elevation change.

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: KennyLee

Doubtful I take a shot at a buck from over 200 yards and likely much closer. I can't tell a trophy from some of the culls at 400 yards, so I wouldn't take the shot. I question those who say they can.

Swarovski optics, yea I can tell the difference between a cull and trophy at 400 yards.
Posted By: djs303

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 02:32 AM

I will take a shot at a deer within 400 yards as long as the conditions are right and the shot is not rushed. I prefer shots inside 300 yards as I sight my rifle so no sight correction is needed out to this distance. Hogs and coyotes will get lead thrown at them at any distance. My longest shot was a coyote at 436 yards and I have taken several animals in the 300 to 400 yard ranges.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 02:38 AM

I don't shoot over 175-200 on any deer, yote or pig would be different. I don't practice enough to shoot past that, I don't care if it's my biggest buck ever.
Posted By: wtr

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Why are some deer worthy of more respect than others? Why are some animals more respectable than others?

Agree
Posted By: JCB

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 03:02 AM

Under ideal conditions about 350 yards for me on deer and hog. I have taken a few shots farther than that before and connected but I wouldn't do it again. I have seen times with heavy winds that I wouldn't have shot past 100 yards though.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: tlk
doe, cull??? 300-400 max. A trophy deer that is worthy of respect for who he is? 200 max.

I get the allure of long range shots. Do it all you want. But for me when it comes to a trophy animal there are too many variables. As you stated - wind alone is a factor that causes mistakes. On our lease a shot at a trophy buck that is more than 200 yards is not allowed. A majestic animal deserves the respect of minimizing any errors. If I see a trophy that is more than 200 yards I go after him - that means stalking and trying to do a sneak on him to within 200 yards - it is called hunting - not shooting.

X-2
Posted By: MontagueMonsters

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 03:39 AM

200yds deer, no distance on varmints good practice
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 03:49 AM

300 yards max. I can ring the steel out to 800 yards. My rifle can shoot 1/2 MOA. But for me in target shooting I can take my time, I don't have the adrenaline rush and I know the exact distances. In the field I typically have much less time to ensure I dial in the DOPE correctly. Lastly the longest distance I have to in my shooting lanes is just shy of 225 yards.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 03:59 AM

I'd feel comfortable up to 200 but that doesn't mean I would do it. Regardless of animal. My longest kill was 150. I know that's chump change for some of you but I'd rather enjoy the view than mess up - again, regardless of the animal.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 04:10 AM

Maybe 300 on a trophy if I have time to range him and a good rest. We have does out the wazzoo, no need to stretch on one and take a risk, at least until my .308 is finished and Chad develops a load for it.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 04:50 AM

200 yards for me on anything but prefer about 80
Posted By: bull279

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 05:17 AM

I am comfortable shooting over 300 yards, but realistically I won't be shooting over 150-200 yds at the longest. More than likely under 50 yds will be the range of contact. I have a rifle that is capable of shooting 1,000 yds, but I would not try to shoot it that far.
Posted By: DH3

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 05:52 AM

200 yards for me. I hunt over feeders and the longest (measured) shot I take is 144 yards. I am not into crippling any animal and taking more than one shot wastes ammo. rifle
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 06:59 AM

250 yards with the right conditions. I took one last year at 220 and luckily they are easy to track with only two legs. Still went 300 more yards though. Took another one at 210 and went down after about 50 yards to the heart. I am dialed in right at 200 but need to be calm. I am shooting a fixed 6x Zeiss.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 07:14 AM

This is a good point. I would think an ethical hunter would treat all deer with respect. Different risks imply the shooter "doesn't care as much" if he maimes or wounds if the animal isn't a "trophy".

IMHO, an ethical shot is an ethical shot - regardless of the "worth" an animal.

I have passed on shots on both trophy or meat animals because, while in my maximum range, I didn't feel comfortable with the shot for one reason or another. Likewise, I have "pushed" my abilities on shots because I have felt comfortable- but it was never because the "quality" of the animal.

Each circumstance is different. While i make wait for a closer shot on a "trophy" , it is because of other circumstances not specifically due to quality.

Now, if you want to "practice" on live animals - then that's why God created hogs. I know that might sound hypocritical - but I don't consider feral hogs a "game animal". To me, they are more on the level of vermin or pests, like fire ants or rats.
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 07:44 AM

350 on all the above.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 11:44 AM

265 yards on bucks or does that are not a trophy, since that is my longest shots off of a sturdy rest. Longest on my biggest trophy buck has been 232 yards of a sturdy rest.
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 11:59 AM

My Savage 11 in 270 shoots MOA at 300 yards and I have practiced at that range
If I had a good shot at that distance, I would be confident for sure
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 12:13 PM

Nail on the head. 200 is my max on ANY deer. Hogs and yotes don't matter
Posted By: Bbear

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 12:51 PM

Depends upon conditions, time spent on each, and caliber.
To whit:

243 - 350 on all
25-06 - 400 on all
30-30 - 150 on all
30-06 - 300 on all
264 WM - 500 on all
358 win - 200 on all

I've taken the 243's, 25-06 and 264 out to 6-800 but I wouldn't take a shot at a game animal at that distance as my confidence level isn't that high. Also, if I am unable to take a good, solid set up or the wind/rain etc is interfering, all of those ranges could be cut in half or more.
Just depends on so many different variables.
Posted By: Branden

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy

Doubtful I take a shot at a buck from over 200 yards and likely much closer. I can't tell a trophy from some of the culls at 400 yards, so I wouldn't take the shot. I question those who say they can.

Swarovski optics, yea I can tell the difference between a cull and trophy at 400 yards.
On some of my NightForce Scopes I can count the ticks off a deer's a*s at 400yrds so yes it can be done easily with the right glass like Stompy said.

To the OP 500 on all the above and the right conditions wouldn't have a problem going little farther.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy

I was in a elk hunt last year and our guide had some Swarvoski binoculars he could tell if it was a shooter from half a mile. .308 I would shoot about 250-300 on all but with my .300 wsm 500 yards on all.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 07:51 PM

Doe -- 100
spike -- 100
big buck --- 200

But that's just me and what I know I can do every single time. And for me I can always get a doe or spike within 100 yards, no need to shoot any farther.
Posted By: TravisP

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Bbear
Depends upon conditions, time spent on each, and caliber.
To whit:

243 - 350 on all
25-06 - 400 on all
30-30 - 150 on all
30-06 - 300 on all
264 WM - 500 on all
358 win - 200 on all

I've taken the 243's, 25-06 and 264 out to 6-800 but I wouldn't take a shot at a game animal at that distance as my confidence level isn't that high. Also, if I am unable to take a good, solid set up or the wind/rain etc is interfering, all of those ranges could be cut in half or more.
Just depends on so many different variables.

<3 .264 winmag
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC
...I'll sling lead at a hog no matter the distance.

^^ up
Posted By: fouzman

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 09:03 PM

Hard to say. Weather conditions dictate so much. Longest shot ever was two seasons ago on a doe. 478 yards according to my Leica RF. 332 yards is the farthest I've ever killed a trophy buck. Both from a solid rest. And both with a 7mm-08. The 478 yards was really pushing the limits on that caliber, but I know my gun and its ballistics well. Plus I have a Sawrovski with the TDX reticle. Makes long shots much easier if you know the range. Still, at 478 yards there was a good bit of luck involved.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 09:09 PM

I have never really practiced at long range. 1-time I shot at a feed sack target at 400 yards resting off an old cedar fence post with a 223. I have shot 1 hog at 225 yards and a feral house cat at just under 200 yards. I feel comfortable with my shooting skills just haven't pushed the distance too far. With a good rest I will shoot 200 yards at a deer.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 09:32 PM

Well, I will be hunting from a stand that has 3 feeders this season- 224 yards (mine), 770 yards, and 880 yards. I plan to take a doe from the 770 or 880 yard feeder with my 300 WM. My other goal this season is to take a doe with my G29 10mm carry pistol.

Here's one I took at 280 yards, and this was relatively short range.

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert

This is a good point. I would think an ethical hunter would treat all deer with respect. Different risks imply the shooter "doesn't care as much" if he maimes or wounds if the animal isn't a "trophy".

IMHO, an ethical shot is an ethical shot - regardless of the "worth" an animal.

I have passed on shots on both trophy or meat animals because, while in my maximum range, I didn't feel comfortable with the shot for one reason or another. Likewise, I have "pushed" my abilities on shots because I have felt comfortable- but it was never because the "quality" of the animal.

Each circumstance is different. While i make wait for a closer shot on a "trophy" , it is because of other circumstances not specifically due to quality.

Now, if you want to "practice" on live animals - then that's why God created hogs. I know that might sound hypocritical - but I don't consider feral hogs a "game animal". To me, they are more on the level of vermin or pests, like fire ants or rats.

Put me in for this opinion right here.

I am very impressed with the ranges most guys are stating as their maximum comfortable range. Guys go to talking 400+ as the norm on game animals and this starts popping in my head: bs

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I am very impressed with the ranges most guys are stating as their maximum comfortable range. Guys go to talking 400+ as the norm on game animals and this starts popping in my head: bs

Me too. I know there are several people who eat drink and sleep long range shooting on here and for them 400 yards is a chip shot. I however know far more people who have never even attempted practicing at anything more than 100 yards. Also look around at the targets at the rifle range when you go before deer season, It scares me that some of those rifles/hunters are going afield! I would have to put some effort into finding a place on our property to shoot 400 yards.
Posted By: Armalite260

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Doe -- 100
spike -- 100
big buck --- 200

But that's just me and what I know I can do every single time. And for me I can always get a doe or spike within 100 yards, no need to shoot any farther.

There you go. I have no issues on does getting close so no need to worry about it. Longest shot I have on my place is about 410 yds, that's no issues for my 300 mag sendero..
Posted By: Cast

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 11:08 PM

I have practiced out to two hundred yards with all my center fire rifles. I'm comfy out to two hundred on any target bigger than a bug.

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Me too. I know there are several people who eat drink and sleep long range shooting on here and for them 400 yards is a chip shot. I however know far more people who have never even attempted practicing at anything more than 100 yards. Also look around at the targets at the rifle range when you go before deer season, It scares me that some of those rifles/hunters are going afield! I would have to put some effort into finding a place on our property to shoot 400 yards.

Before I had my custom 6.5 Creedmoor built I had shot at 200 yards a few times with my 7mag and then I shot a sign at 400 yards once. Then I fired three rounds with my 300 mag at five hundred yards once using holdover with a standard reticle. Yes, it was a crap shoot but I hit the target but seriously the group was about two feet. The first time I shot my rifle at long range, 600 yards, I had two friends with me. Frankly it was easy. I had the dope, the wind was less than 5 mph, put the crosshairs on the target and squeeze the trigger. Please know I'm not bragging...all three of us hit the target with ease. We had a solid rest and great rifle and scope. All of this was done without any pressure. We were just having fun. I said that to simply say this, it's just not that difficult to make these shots with the right equipment these days. That being said shooting an animal, and to me that even includes hogs, is another matter. But for those who question the ability of guys to make shots at this distance you should go try it. Find someone who is willing to let you shoot their long range rig and see if your opinion changes. Now that I've done it the skepticism I had prior to owning my target rifle is gone.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/04/15 11:54 PM

Nailed it Sneaky...considering my ability these days, I won't shoot much over 200 yds...usually less than 100 yds unless its at a yote....I'm good to 1k then....I just use Kentucky windage and let the lead fly.....
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 12:14 AM

Hogs get shot at from as far as I can see them and put the crosshairs on them.

Deer I limit my shots to 400. I respect all deer the same. I want it to be clean and quick. Regardless of age or score.

My rig will shoot out to 1000 yards but deer are too jumpy so I don't shoot at them at that distance.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 12:49 AM

200 is pretty much my max. If I practice more I'd feel better about going further.

If it was a buck that hadn't been seen on camera, it would be hard for me to judge him well enough at longer ranges. Not that it can't be done. I'm just saying that for me personally, I don't have the practice and skills to do so.

The buck I killed last year I saw at probably 800 yards and knew who he was because of lots of trail cam pictures of him.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 01:39 AM

Weather and wind taken into account. I would shoot any deer out to 1000 however to be practical it is hard to find a place when I am hunting to take that type of shot. I practice all the time out to 1k but the farthest I have shot a deer is 828 yards with a custom rifle I had made for long range hunting. Most of the shots are under 500.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 02:19 AM

I have finally come to grips with the fact that I'm not as good of a shooter as I used to be. If I have a really good rest and little wind, I'll go out to 200. I would much rather get closer, inside 100 if possible. I get more of a thrill out of trying to get close anyway.
Jeff Cooper taught his students to get as close to a target as possible. A student asked him how close is too close. He said, "When you can't get any closer."

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Before I had my custom 6.5 Creedmoor built I had shot at 200 yards a few times with my 7mag and then I shot a sign at 400 yards once. Then I fired three rounds with my 300 mag at five hundred yards once using holdover with a standard reticle. Yes, it was a crap shoot but I hit the target but seriously the group was about two feet. The first time I shot my rifle at long range, 600 yards, I had two friends with me. Frankly it was easy. I had the dope, the wind was less than 5 mph, put the crosshairs on the target and squeeze the trigger. Please know I'm not bragging...all three of us hit the target with ease. We had a solid rest and great rifle and scope. All of this was done without any pressure. We were just having fun. I said that to simply say this, it's just not that difficult to make these shots with the right equipment these days. That being said shooting an animal, and to me that even includes hogs, is another matter. But for those who question the ability of guys to make shots at this distance you should go try it. Find someone who is willing to let you shoot their long range rig and see if your opinion changes. Now that I've done it the skepticism I had prior to owning my target rifle is gone.

Like I said many people have the equipment and can do it, but I think if you knew the percentage of texas hunters that went to the blind every year with a custom build rifle with good dope(not the smoking kind) is an incredibly small portion of the hunting population.

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 02:03 PM

I haven't killed anything at real long distances but I have killed one WT at over 500, Elk over 400, Antelope over 400, several WT over 300 and several pigs over 300. But I do have a custom rifle and it's sighted in at 200 yards. It's a tack driving 300WM and I have complete confidence in the gun. However, all the long shots were off rock soild or sandbaged rests, (have sandbags in every stand) I would not consider a long shot if it weren't. I have never missed an animal with a long shot and they've all been one shot.
I do have a bit of an advantage though, I live on a ranch and have a long gun range,,and I practice.
I agree that most Texas hunters don't either own or have the skills for long shots. I've seen many guys over the years with good equipment that can't pattern a rifle at 100 yards.
Posted By: coach20

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 02:22 PM

Prefer shots inside 100 but fill comfortable at 200 with a good rest.
Posted By: GLC

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 02:25 PM

Doe/Cull buck 300 yards, big buck 200 yards or less. I can shoot farther but but light, weather or other conditions play a big role. To me even a cull or a doe is meat on the table so I am not taking a chance either destroying meat with a mis-placed shot or losing an animal. But then again I bow hunt most of the time so it will probably be within 30 yards.
Posted By: Spades

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 03:17 PM

Most comfortable to 250 on all 3. I will lob lead at hogs and dogs (yotes) as long as I can see them and know it's safe.
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 03:39 PM

Hmm my long shots are not really long to distance competition guys. But I did drop a Doe down in mason about 260 yds with a 22-250 resting it on the box blind window!I got the biggest camel size doe in Red river I ever seen with an off hand shot with a .300win mag at 220yds...Il never try that again I clipped her sternum, and any lesser of a round wouldn't have opened her up enough likely....We hunted her for 2 hours in the thickest( i mean not 3 yds of space in between pines,bramble and thicket) ,where did we find her 70 yds from where she had stood. I walked over her twice in that mess,you couldn't even see the night sky!
My eyes are really sad,gotten bad in last 5 years...I'm hoping with a my shooting stick to see them 150 or less! While not my Rifles limits its mine. Enjoy it guys accuracy at any distance is a perishable skill! All this ramble said Id bet 99% of all Deer and Hogs I've shot were inside of 100yds many inside of 50! FWIW...My Best buck was at 140yds and moving at a fast walk with his nose in the air!

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 04:29 PM

Guys,

Frankly, I have really enjoyed reading the responses. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by them because I thought the number of responses for shooting long range would have been higher. And just to clarify, I will not shoot a doe or buck at 500 yards to prove to myself or anyone else that I can. There are paper targets with life size deer on them that I can shoot at if that's what I want to prove to myself. Frankly in perfect conditions I already know I can "make" that shot. I will always be a hunter first and shooter second and I believe the responses I have been reading reflect the same of the respondents on here.

I wish you all the absolute best this season and hope you, your son, your grandson etc get the trophy of a life time!

Mel
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 04:32 PM

My longest shot ever on a deer was 411 yards with my .270. That is about the max range for that gun. I'm good out to 800 yards with my 300 WM.
Posted By: hogreaper

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 05:09 PM

200 yards and closer with my .270 really no need for longer shots imo
Posted By: lawndart956

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 05:19 PM

440 is the longest I have ever taken. I did it just to see if I could,but I feel like if you are doing this in most places in Texas you are just doing a bit. 200 is my max for anything,most hunting rounds don't need any dope if sighted in at 100. Wind is normally not a factor at less than 200. If you're a sub MOA shooter at 100 you should be fine at 200 with whatever you are shooting IMO.
Posted By: joeycoates

Re: I am curious about just how far you are willing to - 11/05/15 05:46 PM

I have taken a doe at 476yds with my 25-06, but I have practiced quite a bit, have verified that my app (shooter) matches reality, and the conditions were perfect i.e. no wind and ranged with Leica 1200. With that being said, everything depends on the conditions and amount of time I have to dial it in. If the conditions are not right, or I do not have time to account for all of the variables then I will not stretch it out.

Take for example the effect that rain has on a bullet and the POI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UusiTSu1tSU

This weekend it is supposed to be raining in East Texas on opening morning for rifle. After watching videos like I have posted from youtube, I will not be looking for any kind of a long range shot if it is raining when I see a deer. I can not account for all of the variables even though my 308 will do this at 500yds. Each persons max comfortable range depends on both their experience and the weapon itself.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum