Texas Hunting Forum

Skinning deer

Posted By: huskerman

Skinning deer - 11/03/15 02:48 PM

Does everyone in Texas skin their deer right away after field dressing. Last deer I shot was in 20 degrees and 4 inches of snow in Nebraska. We field dressed and hang out our deer for a week or two.l before skinning and processing. With the heat here I've seen many skin their deer right away. Or do some just take it to the processor right away if they don't have a way to cool it down.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 02:50 PM

I never field dress a deer I take it back skin, quarter, debone, process all at once
Posted By: TravisP

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 03:01 PM

I hang, cut hide back. Take a filet knife and cut the meat off the bone on site. Trash bag it. Haul the whole carcass to the creek bottom for the dogs and coyotes. I always leave the guts in. I do it immediately as its always too hot here.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 03:04 PM

I've done both. If we have a bunch to clean, I'll just gut and hang in the walk-in for a couple days. Then quarter before heading home. If only a couple, I'll skin, remove quarters, backstrap and trimmings and put on ice. Never have to gut the deer this way. They're much easier to skin and quarter when warm, as opposed to pulling them out of the walk-in and doing so. We never gut deer in the field. Everything comes back to the headquarters and is processed there. One gut pile (bulldozed pit) for all carcasses.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 03:06 PM

I will gut the deer in the field, then depending on how cold or not it is, will skin and process it the next day or two after the kill.

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 03:19 PM

How hot are yall hunting in? Iv left guts in deer for a few hours while its 70-80degrees? they can sit much longer

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 03:28 PM

I've always gutted mine right after the kill. Regardless if its 90 or 20.

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 03:44 PM

I've always gutted after kill, but I've hunted colder temps. But left skin on while it hung for a week in freezing temps. For people that don't process their own which I am likely not going to die to apartment living, do you just bring in whole deer or just the quarters and back straps
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: huskerman
I've always gutted after kill, but I've hunted colder temps. But left skin on while it hung for a week in freezing temps. For people that don't process their own which I am likely not going to die to apartment living, do you just bring in whole deer or just the quarters and back straps

Most processors will take a deer either way, but I always quarter mine myself and then take the quarters into the processor. It should save you a little money and isn't all that hard to do.

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 03:58 PM

Skin on or off

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 04:00 PM

They will take it either way.
Posted By: CoachKM

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 04:10 PM

I field dress right after the kill. Usually hang it and finish the job that night. If it's cold enough i'll let it hang until after the next day.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 05:11 PM

I don't field dress.

I will skin, quarter, onto ice all at the same time. Either process myself or drop the quarters with a buddy for grind/sausage/jerky.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 05:44 PM

field dress and then quarter, put on ice and let it rest for a day or so. Changing the ice once before taking it to the processor.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 09:01 PM

I field dress every deer I kill. All go into a walk-in cooler when it is available and a few are skinned and quartered, then put on ice.
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 10:05 PM

I don't gut my deer if I can make it home quick and I find it quick. If I don't have to take the chance of cutting intestines, I'm not going to. The tenderloins are the only thing I miss. I skin it, get the quarters and backstraps and leave the guts inside the ribs untouched.
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 10:15 PM

Yeah but if your a mile back in the thicket and have to drag it out on your own your going wanna gut it...unless your the Hulk with a fresh new young back!!
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 10:22 PM

Spill the guts where they fall immediately. Then skin,quarter and on ice as fast as possible. Process everything myself.

My son worked for a processor last year while in highschool.

I WOULD NEVER BRING A DEER TO A PROCESSOR AFTER TALKING TO HIM...PERIOD.

Folks actually bring un gutted deer in for processing. Blew my mind. Gut shot, etc. All the sausage meat is mixed, etc.

No thanks.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 10:38 PM

I skin and gut usually within the hour. If it's cold enough I let it hang as long as possible (up to a few days) if not I wet age the meat in the cooler, keep the drain plug open and add ice as it melts. Don't know if this actually does anything but its tradition.. up
Posted By: newulmboy

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 10:39 PM

After the shot, we load up the deer and bring it immediately back to camp. Skin, gut, quarter and throw it on ice. Usually takes about 30 min to an hour for everything depending on stand location of the shot. Process the deer ourselves. It's a lot of work, but the end product is definitely worth it.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 10:43 PM

depends on temps....if its warm...gutted in the field and taken to processor immediately...if it's below 40 degrees...i'll gut it in the field and may let it hang overnight but it will be in the processor by noon the next day...either way, I leave the skin on.

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 10:46 PM

Why don't yall gut your deer?? You're losing a lot of good meat just taking the quarters.. Particularly the tenderloins! I keep all the scrap meat (neck, ribs, flank, etc) for grinding and.. Call me crazy but the heart is one of the best parts! Slice it thin, season with Tony's and pepper, dust in flour and fry it up! grill
Posted By: maximum

Re: Skinning deer - 11/03/15 10:46 PM

i strive to get mine apart and in the cooler a.s.a.p.
they skin and cut up way easier before they get stiff.
if it's cold it's also easier on the hands to work with
a fresh carcass instead of a block of ice.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 01:05 AM

Well, i guess here in texas most of time is not cool where you can hang a deer that night,
though at times yes you can. but our exierence has been its easier to get the hide off
the animal when its somewhat warm, rather than days later from a cooler! easier on the
hands and knuckles in my book! Never had a walk in cooler to hang the meat for days like
curing or aging beef, so for us hide off, knifes out and quarter it to the cooler til we get back
to house for final cleaning.

As for the guts, we save the heart, lungs here if its not gut shot, makes great gravy or catfish
for the following spring, if you fish! holds well in the freezer if you zip loc the bags tight with no
air!

Ready for some fresh jerky in couple weeks!

hunt safe.....
Posted By: Swamped

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 01:58 AM

I like to gut,skin,and quarter in camp and haul everything to the gut pile when done. If its below 40 will I will let it hang over night. Let it set on ice in the cooler for 3-4 days then proccess myself. Would like to make an old fridge into a meat locker one day.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
Why don't yall gut your deer?? You're losing a lot of good meat just taking the quarters.. Particularly the tenderloins! I keep all the scrap meat (neck, ribs, flank, etc) for grinding and.. Call me crazy but the heart is one of the best parts! Slice it thin, season with Tony's and pepper, dust in flour and fry it up! grill

When many people use the term "quarter a deer" they mean more than just the four shoulders. Using the no-gut method I get the quarters, straps, tenderloins, neck meat, etc. I can even get the heart and liver if I want. Only meat I don't get is the rib meat, which I didn't take even when I used to field dress.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 01:17 PM

I've gutted, skinned and quartered the deer I kill but the last few years I just skin'em and quarter and get them on ice.
Posted By: huntingdomer

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 03:32 PM

I just quarter my deer and don't gut them. I leave the carcass for the coyotes. I don't take the tenderloins or any neck meet. Just the front shoulders, the hind quarters and the back straps.

If I understand the TPWD rules correctly, you can only legally transport a quartered deer or a gutted deer. Under the quartered deer definition it doesn't include the tenderloins.

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: huntingdomer
I just quarter my deer and don't gut them. I leave the carcass for the coyotes. I don't take the tenderloins or any neck meet. Just the front shoulders, the hind quarters and the back straps.

If I understand the TPWD rules correctly, you can only legally transport a quartered deer or a gutted deer. Under the quartered deer definition it doesn't include the tenderloins.

Meaning you can't de-bone cube or grind the meat before transport. They don't require you take the tenderloins but why anyone wouldn't take them is what I'm confused about.

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 04:46 PM

As I understand it, if you are processing on-site you can do whatever you want with the deer before you transport.

But if you aren't, you can only legally transport a gutted deer or a quartered deer, as I previously posted. This is my understanding of the TPWD rules. I just want to comply with the rules in case I get stopped by the game warden.

Others can chime in if they read the rules differently. TIA

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 05:09 PM

As I understand it, if you are processing on-site you can do whatever you want with the deer before you transport.

But if you aren't, you can only legally transport a gutted deer or a quartered deer, as I previously posted. This is my understanding of the TPWD rules. I just want to comply with the rules in case I get stopped by the game warden.

You can't do whatever you want before transport. You can process in camp IF camp qualifies as final destination. If it doesn't, you can quarter, but cannot de-bone, cube, grind, etc. and proof of sex is required. Processing in Camp
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 05:15 PM

Field dress only if unable to skin and quarter right away. Is it unlawful to debone the quarters at the lease if you do have refrigeration?
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 05:29 PM

Field dress immediately after killing and take to local processer. If it after hours put in their cooler. They do a much better job than I ever could or would.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 05:33 PM

You can only process a deer further than 4 quarters for immediate consumption in camp. Otherwise it must remain quartered with proof of sex as well.

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985

I take everything but the ribs... and still don't gut the animal... ribs are just not worth it imo.. the flank is kept, tenders, strap.. neck meat, shoulders, hams... I usually got a big hole in the heart so its no good anyway

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 05:40 PM

you guys wanting to process and transport you can fill out a W.R.D.
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 05:41 PM

Are ya'll saying you can't transport the deer whole?

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Jacob645
Are ya'll saying you can't transport the deer whole?

you can transport whole but you have to keep it edible.
Posted By: TravisP

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 07:36 PM

I do the same.. it helps rid it of that game flavour that at times can be super strong.

Soaking it in ice water for a few days.
Posted By: Sugars Pop

Re: Skinning deer - 11/04/15 10:50 PM

You can debone a deer in camp only if you have an on site walk in cooler or equivilent and have the TPW cold storage log book.
Posted By: rseveer63

Re: Skinning deer - 11/06/15 07:36 AM

Newbie question, for proof of sex do you have to bring the head of the doe or buck with you to the processor?
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Skinning deer - 11/06/15 01:13 PM

We used to do a lot more. I didn't even know til 2 years ago that you could take a gutted, unskined deer to the processor. I'll let them do the dirty work now. I just gut them in the field, and cut the head off it I want to make a European mount. Take both with me to the processor and drop it off.

Re: Skinning deer - 11/06/15 02:01 PM

For the newbie, yes, take the head the head of the deer to the processor for proof of sex.
Posted By: hermano W

Re: Skinning deer - 11/06/15 02:37 PM

I get the deer skinned and the meat on ice as soon as possible. If practical I skin before I gut. If I have to handle him by myself, I gut him where he falls and skin him later. For those who don't keep the neck meat let me share this. Cook the neck in the pressure cooker with potatoes, carrots, and onions and it is a great tasting roast (the neck meat has more flavor than any other meat on the deer). Now the neck has become one of my favorite parts. The neck is also excellent for making tamales.Once again cook it in the pressure cooker then "string" the meat out for carne desebrada.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum