Texas Hunting Forum

Mock Scrape Success

Posted By: jcarroll3

Mock Scrape Success - 10/28/15 07:46 PM

So, thought I would try something new this season and I started doing some research into Mock Scrapes. I saw people having alot of luck with them, and thought I would give them a shot.

I ordered some Magnum Drippers utilizing Golden Estrus Scrape Starter. Made a mock scrape line near an existing real scrape, ensuring each scrape was under a limb around 40" high . Set up three drippers above the limb, and created a total of 4 scrapes. I utilized Buck Fever Synthetics Pre-Orbital gland spray on the limbs, and created about a 24" diameter scrape underneath with my boot. I wore rubber boots, and rubber gloves and was extremely careful not to let my body come in contact with anything. Unfortunately I ran out of time , and didn't set a new trail camera up on the scrape line at that point. I also sprayed some BuckFever Synthetics spray on a few of the saplings that are rubbed,as well as one large tree that was a rub last year.

Went back into hunt this morning, and noticed there are now 6 total scrapes, with 2 of the ones that I made significantly bigger. I looked in the scrapes and there are doe tracks, and buck tracks in them. The tree that was an old rub I sprayed the stuff on is now a new rub. Checked the one camera i have in the general area, and there were two new bucks on camera, and more does than I have ever seen at this site. No sign of my big buck yet though, but I am guessing as soon as he gets a whiff of the "intruder buck", which is dripping only in the day time, he will start stopping in more frequently. I would definitely say that they are working so far, just have to get him to checking them regularly. Thought I would share some good news/review with you guys.
Posted By: Western

Re: Mock Scrape Success - 10/28/15 07:53 PM

I have had the same results, clearing a spot with a rake or my tractor bucket along known travel routes, never went to the trouble to set up a pee drip, they catch on pretty fast if they like the spot (limb overhead).

I have dumped some buck pee in a few though, some I bought and some I collected myself from dead bucks, It may get them on it faster IDK, never could tell a real difference. I think using a bottle of buck pee from a totally different area, may draw in local bucks to mark their territory though, makes sense, same deal with coyote trapping.
Posted By: jcarroll3

Re: Mock Scrape Success - 10/28/15 08:00 PM

They say the best thing to do, is find a neighboring property and a real scrape on that property. Use rubber gloves and retrieve some dirt from that area and put in a plastic bag, and move it into your mock scrape. Chances are, he will have smelled that bucks urine at some point and will recognize it and will think he is attempting to move into his area.

Re: Mock Scrape Success - 10/28/15 08:09 PM

That makes sense, but I'm thinking a buck from maybe 3 counties away or more. A totally unknown buck, may get the local king of the hill all up and bothered.

I would have reservations buying it in a bottle since there is no guarantee from, or what is all in there. I like your dirt idea, easy enough. The times I took it from bucks, I have swapped with a couple other fellas in Texas that did the same thing, kill a buck, use rubber gloves and a syringe and empty the bladder, put in sterile bottle.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Mock Scrape Success - 10/28/15 08:29 PM

Just pee in it yourself, same results.
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Mock Scrape Success - 10/29/15 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

I have done the same thing, it seems to really irritate them.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Mock Scrape Success - 10/29/15 01:17 AM

One time I pooped in a scrape and he pooped right back on top of mine. We had crap sacked a foot high before season was over. I never did get that buck either.

Re: Mock Scrape Success - 10/29/15 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: texashelms
One time I pooped in a scrape and he pooped right back on top of mine. We had crap sacked a foot high before season was over. I never did get that buck either.

You need to tell your neighbor to stay on his side of the fence peep
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Mock Scrape Success - 10/29/15 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Yep. No need to spend money on "buck urine"! Just pee in it and walk away. The first deer to check it out will leave scent for you on the licking branch.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum