Texas Hunting Forum

deer attractants

Posted By: basspromaster

deer attractants - 10/28/15 03:27 AM

So I've seen people talking about deer cane, rice bran, vanilla scent, apple scent, etc etc. The other day a buddy suggested I rake peanut butter and smear it on apples and hang them on the trees. Anyone ever done this? Results?
Posted By: MexicanTexan

Re: deer attractants - 10/28/15 04:55 AM

i think we all know that deer love sweet things one time i took a deer down i was brewing some mint tea while my bud got the truck ready and a doe walks out in front of me i dont know if it was coincidence or what ever but she just ran away as soon as she saw me
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: deer attractants - 10/28/15 12:22 PM

Deer love peanuts and apples.

If you are hunting an area that lacks these, it might take a while for them to try it, just a defense mechanism they have so they don't eat something that will kill them or make them sick.

Once they try it, they will come back for more. up
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: deer attractants - 10/28/15 12:45 PM

I use Indian Corn. The different colors seem to keep the deer at the feeder longer. I buy it from a co-op in New Mexico and have it shipped here. But the apple and peanut butter is a excellent idea. banana2
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: deer attractants - 10/28/15 01:15 PM

Everyone knows deer are color-blind. The Indian corn works because each colorful kernel has its own distinct flavor. That's what keeps them hanging around the feeder longer trout
Posted By: Ajpp

Re: deer attractants - 10/28/15 01:46 PM

I screw a jar of peanut butter to a cut down stump in my feed pen as well as throw apples on my place often. The deer love them. I also mix apple corn with regular corn in feeders.
Posted By: SouthTXhunter07

Re: deer attractants - 10/28/15 05:19 PM

Deer attractant = 50lb bag of corn. I don't waste money on all the other stuff.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: deer attractants - 10/28/15 06:42 PM

With acorns dropping, it's going to be tough to find something that they like better right now. Best to have something out there year round that they get used to and develop a taste for. I would still try, but I wouldn't expect very much out of it until the acorns begin to rot. Hopefully the last storm and the one predicted for this weekend will speed up that process
Posted By: Western

Re: deer attractants - 10/28/15 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: SouthTXhunter07
Deer attractant = 50lb bag of corn. I don't waste money on all the other stuff.

My thoughts as well. If you own the land, you may be better off in the long run, planting things they like. Pear trees do great when established and deer like them better than apples IMO.

I have even taken pears from town tree's and dumped them for the deer, after they try them, it is game on.

Note that much of food stuff we put out for deer can and will draw in other vermin like coons, possums and skunks.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: deer attractants - 10/29/15 01:43 AM

I had all the kids on my block have an "acorn collecting contest". Crazy what 6-10 year old kids will do for a $10 prize. All added together I've got a 50# feed sack filled with acorns. Store em in a cool dry place like garage and they'll last for months. I take a grocery sack full each time I go to the property and put them out. Works really well when the native acorns have all dropped and are gone.
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: deer attractants - 10/29/15 03:55 PM

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Ajpp

Re: deer attractants - 10/29/15 06:27 PM

This!! My nephews with a shop vac picking up acorns and offer some kind of reward. Cleans up the yard and feeds the deer in mills county.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum