Texas Hunting Forum

Buck with doe already

Posted By: Aggieman775

Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 02:06 PM

The rut is just starting so I was shocked. I saw a nice mature buck in a field last week with a doe already. They should be chasing but he had already had her. Have yall seen any of this lately?
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 02:13 PM

This buck has been with this doe all summer. Most of the pics I have with him she is there also. Not sure if they are related or not but have not seen any sign of an early rut on my place. Most of the bucks are still grouped up that I have seen.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 02:19 PM

My two biggest bucks are not with their groups anymore, so it's got to be getting close to the rut. I hope it holds off for 10 more days.

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 02:21 PM

It hasn't started just yet on my place but none of the bucks are together.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 02:35 PM

My bucks split up a week ago. I still catch them on cam but there is always a doe or two with them now.
Gonzales County near I-10 if that matters.
Posted By: Bill_OA

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 04:21 PM

How do you know he "had already had her?"
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 05:32 PM

What part of the state?

Texas is big, the rut occurs over a large period of time over the whole state. Our observations and a link someone posted to some TPWD data indicate the peak rut activity in our area begins in late December to early January.
Posted By: wtr

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 05:54 PM

Watched a buck chase a doe for 20 minutes yesterday in college station. It was a really young doe.
Posted By: Western

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 06:00 PM

Seeing a few young bucks harassing does here, almost like they know they should chase'm, but don't know why LOL
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 06:06 PM

Watched a 4 year old 9 point chase a group of does Saturday afternoon in the rain. The does didn't look at all receptive.

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 06:22 PM

I saw them over in northeast Texas
Posted By: js4242

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 06:38 PM

I had a younger buck with a single doe Sunday morning. She came into a hand corn pile and he bedded down behind her. Once he got back on his feet she sprinted away like she didn't want any part of it. He gave a slight chase, but gave up and went in a different direction. Bucks have definitely split on my place, but I don't think the rut has truly started. I am hunting out of Eastland Co.
Posted By: BuffaloSpringsRD

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 06:52 PM

We hunt in Clay county and they are already chasing pretty hard. Our biggest deer was chasing a hot doe on Saturday evening and then chasing 2 does on Sunday am.
Posted By: Texas45

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 07:13 PM

He's too small to do anything, but maybe it is a sign.
Posted By: SouthTXhunter07

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 07:22 PM

I would say the rut comments are useless without stating your counties. Deep south TX (Dimmit County) is late December early January.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 08:32 PM

Along the coast and SE Texas area the rut has been going on for a while. Pockets in East Texas and small areas of the Hill Country north of SA the rut just started in mid Oct. When I hunted eastern Kent and western Stonewall on the same ranch the peak of the ruts were about 10-14 days different on that ranch. Kent County area of the ranch was the start of the second week of the season and the western part of Stonewall was the week of Thanksgiving. We had 2 separate pastures of 9,000 and 5,000 separated by about a mile of another ranch. Deer reacted differently to rattling on each according to the rut also.
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 08:34 PM

In Kent county young bucks have their nose to the ground. Old boys are too busy filling up on groceries. Does aren't ready.
Posted By: decook

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: WCallaway
How do you know he "had already had her?"

He was smokin a cigarette. bolt
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 09:58 PM

Nothing yet in Erath. 2 weeks away from chasing.
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 10:08 PM

I'm not seeing any antlers either his awful young or the got LGBT deer in your part? confused2
Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/27/15 10:35 PM

Watched a an 8 chase around does on Sunday evening in Clay Co. North Texas. Head was and has been with another buck but that one just watched and ate....
Posted By: Texas45

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/28/15 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: RangerRick
I'm not seeing any antlers either his awful young or the got LGBT deer in your part? confused2

I have pics of him later in the night, he has buttons just breaking thru the skin. My first thoughts were "WTF" when I saw it. And I forgot to state location, it is Jasper County.
Posted By: MontagueMonsters

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/28/15 12:59 PM

In montague county, the rut is usually the opening weekend of rifle or the next week. Even if it's hot, like clock work every year
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/28/15 03:33 PM

Out near Brady last weekend there were still bachelor groups of smaller bucks but the mature ones we saw were by themselves.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/28/15 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: js4242
I had a younger buck with a single doe Sunday morning. She came into a hand corn pile and he bedded down behind her. Once he got back on his feet she sprinted away like she didn't want any part of it. He gave a slight chase, but gave up and went in a different direction. Bucks have definitely split on my place, but I don't think the rut has truly started. I am hunting out of Eastland Co.

The young bucks on our place just south of you are harassing the girls. Don't think the older guys are willing to expend any energy at it yet. Northern Brown County. I expect that to change in the next few days though.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/28/15 04:40 PM

Are you sure that buck isn't with that rabbit? Lol
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/28/15 08:19 PM

Had these 2 showing up together back in September on many occasions.

Posted By: joeycoates

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/29/15 03:27 PM

The bucks have split up in my part of Cherokee Co (around Alto) but I have not seen any receptive does as of last weekend...
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/29/15 03:59 PM

I have a fawn humping another fawn on camera 3 nights in a row in Grayson Co.. Horny little booger. I've never seen that before.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/29/15 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: UTMallard
I have a fawn humping another fawn on camera 3 nights in a row in Grayson Co.. Horny little booger. I've never seen that before.

any blue kernels mixed in your corn?
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/29/15 04:18 PM

^^^ I just got the joke...zing!

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/30/15 09:30 PM

Over here in camp county my dad saw a nice buck trailing a doe today but winded him and I saw a small buck with a little doe.
Posted By: TXGH

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/30/15 10:29 PM

In Trinity County, yesterday I had it happen two different times while int he woods. A doe ran past at full speed, then 10 second later a nice buck hot on her tail. 2 TIMES! The rut is on in Trinity County
Posted By: lmd59

Re: Buck with doe already - 10/31/15 12:26 PM

Saw nice 8 point chasing in Anderson County Thursday evening when I arrived at my place. Two doe were feeding on breast of dam and 8 point came up over dam with nose to the ground.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum