Texas Hunting Forum

Buck down (no pic) but lost and then found bolt

Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Buck down (no pic) but lost and then found bolt - 10/27/15 12:40 AM

Two weekends ago I finally took a buck with my crossbow. Knowing this buck came in the feeding area about an hour before sun-up and stayed around till shooting light. I decided my strategy would be to sneak in well before his arrival. I got in the popup around 4:00 AM. I ended up dozing off a few times, but would wake to see nothing in the field. I was worried I may have scared off any game with my snoring.

The sun starts to peek through and still nothing. Several does came in and ate peacefully, then a few spikes. I was about to give up and saw horns coming through the tree line. It was the 8pt buck along with the bachelor group he was hanging around finally showing up at 9:00 AM. I guess they slept in. He gets to within 30 yards, I released the trigger, the bolt flew straight and I heard impact and saw the buck take-off. I waited and started to look for the bolt. Nowhere to be found and no blood. I was starting to get really sick, did I miss and the bolt hit his quarter and he ran off injured.

I continued looking for blood. Still nothing. I expanded my search grid in larger semicircles. I finally found a drop of blood 40 yards from the shot. My thought, crap, I wounded him. Then I started to see more blood spray. Not 10 yards from where I found the first drop of blood, there he lay.

After getting him back to camp to dress, I found the entry wound but no exit. So odd. It was a perfect shot, right where I was aiming. I finally found the bolt. It was still in him! It had gone through both lungs, impacted on his rib and went 90% down his body and perpendicular to the shot. I was dumbfounded, it was like the magic bullet. Anyway's it did its job, and now I have meat at the processor ready to be picked up this week.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Buck down (no pic) but lost and then found bolt - 10/27/15 12:47 AM

clap
Posted By: wtr

Re: Buck down (no pic) but lost and then found bolt - 10/27/15 12:52 AM

bananapics coming??
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Buck down (no pic) but lost and then found bolt - 10/27/15 12:53 AM

I have found my bullet in a deer, but never a bolt. That would have been neat.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Buck down (no pic) but lost and then found bolt - 10/27/15 01:07 AM

worthless
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Buck down (no pic) but lost and then found bolt - 10/27/15 01:52 AM

Pics... We need pics loco_too
Posted By: passthru

Re: Buck down (no pic) but lost and then found bolt - 10/27/15 02:34 AM

Congrats on the kill. Post pics when you can.

Like now. yawn
Posted By: Western

Re: Buck down (no pic) but lost and then found bolt - 10/27/15 02:50 AM

No pics, hmmm sure it wasn't a doe? grin BTW, WHO DOESN'T TAKE PHOTOS IN 2015? roflmao

Glad you got one down though (so you say no photo), makes getting in early worth it for sure.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Buck down (no pic) but lost and then found bolt - 10/27/15 12:11 PM

Congrats. Mechanical or fixed broadhead?
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Buck down (no pic) but lost and then found bolt - 10/27/15 05:18 PM

What no pic!
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Buck down (no pic) but lost and then found bolt - 10/27/15 06:21 PM

Sure sure, I got a big buck down, biggest of my life too, and unfortunately left the camera film in the sun too long and it baked, no pics either....

roflmao

Really though, cool story. Glad you were able to get him and find him, and the bolt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum