Texas Hunting Forum

your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/25/15 08:43 PM

We're getting mixed results from our crew, wondering what the thoughts of the THF Brain Trust are on this one, age, growth/potential, etc
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/25/15 08:45 PM

Almost everything says middle-age, 3-4 yr old except the forehead from that one pic. More pics might change that quickly though. Is he a broken G3 8 point?
Posted By: MikeC

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/25/15 08:47 PM

I've been wrong before but from that one pic I'd say 3.5
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/25/15 08:48 PM

Looks like 4.5-5.5 to me, lots of white in the face and head of that guy. Would say he's about what he's going to be..

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/25/15 08:51 PM

I have seen 3 yr olds with a gray face this time of the year. Never seen it on a 4yr old and then on older bucks.

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/25/15 09:57 PM

Thinking this is the same deer....
Posted By: Apretz

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/25/15 10:20 PM

Looks 4 or 5 to me
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/25/15 10:28 PM

I hunt about an hour from you. First pick looks 3.5, second pic looks even younger. That will not get you a cup of coffee though....
Posted By: MikeC

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 12:31 AM

I don't think it's the same deer. Looks like the buck in the first pic has his G3 on his left antler broken off. The second pic was taken 14 minutes later and the 3 is there. Maybe the second buck is what the buck in the first pic is looking at. ?????
Posted By: TCB

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 12:49 AM

Yep, 2nd deer is different. Look at the left brow tine...deer #1 has a little curve the 2nd one doesn't.
Posted By: Apretz

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 12:59 AM

I say it's the same deer. The g3 is there in the first pic it's just in line with the g2. And you can't see the curve of the brow tine in the second pic cause it's curved backwards. The G3 on his right side has the same curve at the last inch in both pics.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 03:44 AM

I think its the same deer and he looks to be 3.5 from those photos
Posted By: TxHunter18

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Apretz
I say it's the same deer. The g3 is there in the first pic it's just in line with the g2. And you can't see the curve of the brow tine in the second pic cause it's curved backwards. The G3 on his right side has the same curve at the last inch in both pics.

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 04:18 PM

I think it's the same deer, and the 2-3 line up perfectly in the first pic.

I think 3.5-4.5, some are way older guesses...

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 04:29 PM

Same buck. I am seeing a 4x5 rack with a busted G4 on his left side in the second pic. The points just lined up perfectly in the first pic to hide the left G2. I still think he is middle-aged, more 3 in the last pic. The gray forehead is throwing some off I think that are thinking older. In another month he will look his age more I would think.
Posted By: Western

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 05:42 PM

I also think it is the same buck in both photos, my guess on age would be 4.5. I actually like the white patches on the forehead, just a bit more "character" and a nice solid 8.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 05:49 PM

Middle age. If the debate is to kill this year or not depends on you and your group. Some want to grow 8's to full maturity. Good looking buck and nothing to scoff at. Personally, I don't see this buck eclipsing 140 when mature. I target 8's and 9's at his age unless they are really wide, really tall or show non-typical characteristics.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 05:59 PM

I would guess this buck at 4.5 but even if your off a year and he is 3.5, he would be dead on my place as anything less than a 10 point at 3.5 is green lit.
Posted By: Trozacky

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 08:50 PM

I'd say 4.5. Depends on your mgmt program but he'd be a shooter cull on our place.
Posted By: Dead Shot Ecky

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 08:54 PM

3-4 yr old
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Apretz
Looks 4 or 5 to me
I agree. First pic, he's awfully thick. Second looks younger, but, if I saw him it would be curtains for him.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: your thoughts on this one from North-Central Texas/Foard County - 10/26/15 09:58 PM

4yr old
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum