Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut

Posted By: TurkeyWhisperer

Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 04:33 AM

If you only had 3 days to hunt the Texas Rut in NOVEMBER, what dates would they be?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 04:49 AM

Texas is a big state...what part grin
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 04:54 AM

Rut where I hunt is around christmas. Need a part of the state. South Texas I like rattling
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 10:30 AM

Here in northwest Tx, I have noticed most rutting, right around the 11th of November. So my favorite 3 days would generally be, 11th, 12th and 13th.
Posted By: Bobbaganoosh

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 12:49 PM

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
Posted By: SouthTXhunter07

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: quackills05
Rut where I hunt is around christmas. Need a part of the state. South Texas I like rattling

I agree!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 01:51 PM

Our rut is typically between Christmas and new years, second rut will hit in February.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobbaganoosh
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday

This during rut when there is very little to no moon light
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 02:16 PM

My favorite 3 days to hunt, rut or no rut is the Friday-saturday-sunday after thanksgiving.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 02:21 PM

My favorite 3 days to hunt, rut or no rut is the Friday-saturday-sunday after thanksgiving.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 02:25 PM

Our rut takes place about December 10th-17th. You see lots of bucks December 6th-9th looking for the first doe to come in and December 18th-21st looking for the last doe to go out of heat. Secondary rut is after the season is over.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 03:02 PM

Your best chance is opening morning and the days following. Your chances for success go down exponentially after that.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 03:08 PM

For me I like to hunt the week priour to the peak of the rut or the week after the peak of the rut. Bucks are moving around more and not locked down on does. During the peak of the rut if a doe shows up at a feeder or food plots you are hunting with the buck you are after in tow it will be great for you. If that same doe takes the buck or is pushed into the thicker cover away from where you are hunting, it will be a disappointing rut for you. For me bucks respond better to rattling, calling and moving around checking for does better in the periods before or after the peak of the rut. Not saying you can't kill a big buck in the rut, I just have had better success before or after it. Like posted above Texas is a huge state with many different rut periods. I hunted in the Hill Country and it was different in that county even. Our rut was mid October and the rest of the county to the west was early to mid Nov.
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 03:14 PM

I'm going next week Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday. Some might say it is a bit early for Rut, but rattling tends to work best Pre-rut and in the Cross Timbers area where I hunt, it gets better everyday starting about now. We've always seen the biggest bucks very late October. By 2nd week in Nov, they seem to all be locked down with does. My 2 pennies.

Keith
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 03:58 PM

I hunt SE Panhandle so with the new moon on 11/11 and full moon on 11/25, pick any three days in between. Personally, I watch the weather and try to optimize all of the factors as best I can but I am able to take off just about anytime I want to, so there's that.
Posted By: TurkeyWhisperer

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/22/15 09:09 PM

I live in North Texas...but was curious about the rut wherever you hunt.
Posted By: wtmartinaggie

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/23/15 06:25 PM

the day before thanksgiving, the day i see a good one but dont get a shot, and the day i come back and get him
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/23/15 06:33 PM

That's gonna be a different answer for different parts of the state, but if I had to pick regardless I would say the weekend before Thanksgiving.
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/23/15 06:51 PM

Along the Red River, anything in the teens is bueno. The 10th through the 14th should be good this year!
Posted By: D-Day

Re: Favorite 3 days to hunt the Rut - 10/25/15 08:42 PM

I concur w/ dates in teens for northern part of state at any longitude.

Opening 3 days are always your best chances at whatever you are looking to shoot. After opening days, you have to commit the time.

Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum