Texas Hunting Forum

Tumor?

Posted By: WesTexHunter75

Tumor? - 10/19/15 03:57 AM

Been watching this deer for 3 yrs now. Noticed that he has a big knot on the side of his head. Do y'all think it's from an injury or tumor? Thanks

Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Tumor? - 10/19/15 04:02 AM

My first thought would be an abscess.
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: Tumor? - 10/19/15 04:08 AM

If you're out west, I'm gonna guess cactus needle that's infected. Seems pretty common out west where we've always hunted.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Tumor? - 10/19/15 10:57 AM

I have seen one buck that developed one just below and in front of one of his eyes very. Looked very similar to this one, except for the location. He did not have it the year before in the TC pics.
Posted By: don k

Re: Tumor? - 10/19/15 12:18 PM

Probably a hematoma {SP} I had a Ibex get one on his shoulder a few years ago. Gets puss and blood under the skin. I talked to the vet. He said to try to graze it with a pellet gun to open it up to drain. Finally caught him and the vet cut it open and drained about a quart of puss out of it. Was fine after that. Said it usually comes from some type of injury or like was said earlier maybe a thorn or cactus.
Posted By: WesTexHunter75

Re: Tumor? - 10/19/15 03:14 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope its just a cactus needle as some have mentioned. Do y'all think he'll be alright? Would like to give him another year or two. Here's some pics of him last yr.

Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Tumor? - 10/19/15 03:58 PM

He'll probably be fine. It will likely rupture out on its own at some point. May leave a scar to some degree.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Tumor? - 10/19/15 09:22 PM

Look at the area on this bucks jaw...

Posted By: don k

Re: Tumor? - 10/19/15 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: txbobcat
Look at the area on this bucks jaw...

That is more like he has food impacted in the gum.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Tumor? - 10/19/15 10:51 PM

Saw something just like this in 2004. A guy on the place shot him and when he cut the bulge open it had a small part of a tine from another buck in it that had broken off during a fight.
Posted By: D-Day

Re: Tumor? - 10/25/15 08:57 PM

I agree with wound infection. Probably a puncture would from cactus or mesquite daggers. Shouldn't be an issue for the deer.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Tumor? - 10/26/15 12:24 AM

Could be cactus or a mesquite thorn should be ok. I would just watch him if he stops eating and looking sick take him out.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum