Texas Hunting Forum

Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas?

Posted By: Captain Luke

Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 03:30 PM

I've never hunted from one before, but now that I'm bow hunting, I'm considering either buying one or building an 8 foot stand from which to hunt. The only tall trees we have are old mesquites, so they are difficult to put tree stands on.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 03:38 PM

Captain, I've setup on many a tripod down in Webb/Zapata county area and have harvested multiple mature bucks doing so. Really like that you can place them in tough to navigate areas on short notice. I'd do it but make sure you try and conceal yourself with camo burlap or something similar.

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 03:47 PM

Thanks DQ. That's what I figured. I have burlap from Academy, so I'll use that. I just can't see too far from my ground-brush blind.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 03:49 PM

I have hunted a lot out of tripods from 6' tall to 15' tall. A good canopy/backdrop is a must behind you for bowhunting. A camo or canvas cover around you is okay for rifle hunting. What I like about tripods is the portability of them. You can literally move one in minutes to a new location. If you are bowhunting then using it for rifle hunting I would get one with a removable rest.

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 03:53 PM

I was thinking of bow hunting from the porch of this blind. I can wrap the burlap around the railing. Do you think this could work?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 03:55 PM

I don't see why not.

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 03:57 PM

I'm just worried that it may not be high enough.

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Luke
I was thinking of bow hunting from the porch of this blind. I can wrap the burlap around the railing. Do you think this could work?

What you have to look at is the height of the rail. It will effect how you draw and then your shot if you have to stand back farther or lift up and over rail so your limbs clear it for the shot. Shooting rails and bows do not go together very well.
Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 03:58 PM

It wouldn't work for bow hunting, but I hunt out of this little puppy a lot in the STX. It has legs, but I never even put em on so I can lay it into the bed of a truck and move it around, no hassle, by myself. I love hunting out of it.

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 03:59 PM

I killed my best archery buck out of 6' tripod backed into a scrubby Mesquite. I made sure I only a small hole to shoot out of and had good back cover so I was not silhouetted.

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: southtexascracker
It wouldn't work for bow hunting, but I hunt out of this little puppy a lot in the STX. It has legs, but I never even put em on so I can lay it into the bed of a truck and move it around, no hassle, by myself. I love hunting out of it.

pic?
Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 04:11 PM

You don't see the pic?

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 04:14 PM

it's not showing on my screen.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 04:18 PM

Whatever you hunt from just be sure to do some practice runs drawing your bow back. It's a bad feeling when drawing on a buck and realize you don't have the clearance to make the shot bang

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 04:56 PM

I'll get out there early and practice for sure.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 05:08 PM

I just bought a tripod from Academy for $129 and it has a foldaway rest that would work good for bow hunting. Just make sure you put it somewhere to block your silhouette. I put the back side of mine in the branch cover of a tree and trim a few limbs for shooting lanes. The deer will walk right beside it. The deer in my area are leery of box blinds and wont get closer than 30-40 yards.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 05:15 PM

I hunt out of a tripod at our place in Central TX. You absolutely must have your silhouette covered and it can be tougher to do than you think.. especially in the scrub brush down south. Not impossible though! Also, Set up as far from your feeder as you are comfortable shooting.

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 05:27 PM

If you have a big enough Mesquite or Live Oak that forks at the right height, you can set your tripod up behind it or over it. I will take wire and make a screen that I then cut brush or cedar to tie to it to make my own backdrop. Certain brush in South Texas(like Guayacan) will stay green a long time and work well when making blinds. I have seen some guys use Palm Tree fronds also for cover on their tripods or blinds.

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
If you have a big enough Mesquite or Live Oak that forks at the right height, you can set your tripod up behind it or over it. I will take wire and make a screen that I then cut brush or cedar to tie to it to make my own backdrop. Certain brush in South Texas(like Guayacan) will stay green a long time and work well when making blinds. I have seen some guys use Palm Tree fronds also for cover on their tripods or blinds.

We don't have any oaks, but plenty of big mesquite. I'm leaning toward getting a tripod.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 06:11 PM

Another plus of the tripod is doe harvest. Set up a couple, corn those areas for a few days, slip in and kill every doe you see, then move on to the next one. Repeat until you reach your doe harvest quota. Save your good stands for bucks only. And yes, you may also kill some big, old bucks out of your tripod. Backdrop and camo are a must.
Posted By: SouthTXhunter07

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 06:46 PM

Id suggest if you are going to put up a tripod in a new location, get the tripod set up as early as you can. This will allow the deer to get use to it. I'd suggest a $50 pop up blind from academy, they are so easy to move and you can place them anywhere.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/15/15 07:48 PM

They're no different than any other type of stand. The key is to pick a spot where you have a good view without sticking out like a sore thumb. That's where tripods really work great in my opinion, because you can position them as needed to blend into the surroundings.

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/16/15 01:30 AM

Looks g
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
[quote=Captain Luke]I'm just worried that it may not be high enough.

They're no different than any other type of stand. The key is to pick a spot where you have a good view without sticking out like a sore thumb. That's where tripods really work great in my opinion, because you can position them as needed to blend into the surroundings.

looks good

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/16/15 01:40 AM

Here is one of my bow/crossbow tripod setups. I usually hunt away from feeders but this was to good of a spot and setup to not use the location. I only hunt it with an east wind. Deer usually do not approach from the NW in this location due to brush/cover. I brushed in the legs and the area behind the seat on the tripod. You can barely see the seat in the middle of the first pic. When I am in camo it is not visible at all.

Posted By: fouzman

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/16/15 01:49 AM

Sumpn's gonna die right there, stx. Probably multiple. Beautiful set-up up

Long range weather shows a large area of "tropical moisture" and atmospheric instability over the 3rd coast, next week. That food plot may come up yet.

p.s. That ground blind xcross the meadow needs attention grin
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/16/15 02:05 AM

I like tripods and use them. We only have mesquites and the occasional hackberry tree. Most of mine are in the hackberry for better back cover. I have found that the back drop is much more important than the cover in the front. If you can get in the shade, even better.
Posted By: hogreaper

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/16/15 02:11 AM

You are worrying too much a 10' tripod with a removable gun rest with a folding chair backed up in a good mesquite tree is more than enough just cover the legs with some branches and camo your self up real good and you will be set, even just a swivel chair on the ground and make yourself a make shift blind using branches and camo netting and you will be fine
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Tripod stands. Worth it in south Texas? - 10/16/15 04:18 AM

But as good as we might be at hiding from a deer's eyes, avoiding their nose is a much greater challenge no doubt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum