Texas Hunting Forum

What makes a good management hunt?

Posted By: TxAgHunter

What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 03:11 PM

What would you guys consider to be a good deal for an inclusive management buck hunt up to 150”? Would you purchase a hunt if you didn’t know who the outfitter was prior but the deal was attractive enough?

I'm looking at going on a management hunt here pretty soon and I am just trying to get someone elses opinion?
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 03:17 PM

High fence or low fence?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 03:18 PM

"Up to" is a red flag to me. And no, I would not hunt a cull buck "up to" anything with an outfitter I didn't know. Instead of "up to" there should be prices for each class of animal. 120-129, 130-139, 140-149, etc. "Up to" is typically a selling point and you will end up with a lower end cull.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 03:20 PM

Ask for recommendations or find referrals.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 03:21 PM

I agree with "fouzman". Up to: means to me way below that number. Up to 150 may in reality mean a 130, and that could be the biggest one you see. And why would anyone sign up and pay good money to go with an outfitter where you could not checkout any references.

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 03:31 PM

It is a High fence ranch. So do y'all think I should ask for a range (130-150")? You are right "fouzman" that did worry me a little bit as well.

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 03:32 PM

What else should I ask about? Lodging? Food? Anything else?

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 03:40 PM

References. Acreage. Terrain type. Number of hunters on property at one time. Deer density and sex ratio. Hunting methods (stand, spot/stalk, still, safari style). Fully guided? Since it's supposedly all inclusive, yes, I would ask about lodging, meals and adult beverages (if you imbibe). Game preparation. Transportation while on the ranch. Gratuities. What are acceptable calibers (if gun hunting). References, references, references!

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 03:40 PM

Are you going to have a 1x1 guide or as a lot of ranches do a 2 hunters to 1 guide. How many days do you get to hunt. Is it a sit in a stand hunt or stalk hunt. Most important to me is the hunt a "Guides Choice." which many management hunts are. That means he can see several bucks and tell you which one to shoot. If there are 3 bucks standing in the field and they are 130-140-150, he can tell you that you have to shoot the 130.

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 03:46 PM

One other thing. Most of these up to cull buck hunts promise a shot at a deer that meets the criteria you agreed to. Elect not to shoot, you still pay. Shoot and miss or worse yet, wound and lose, you still pay. Get very specific details of what the seller is providing, in writing.

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 03:53 PM

Okay awesome. I agree references would be nice to see. Thanks for helping me out fouzman and Mr. T. Is there anything else that y'all recommend that I ask about or research a little bit more?

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 04:09 PM

As fouzman said, "References, references, references!," but he should have added one more references, But the best place by far to get References about a ranch in Texas, is here on this form. Put the name out and you will get enough information to make an informed decision about booking this ranch.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
As fouzman said, "References, references, references!," but he should have added one more references, But the best place by far to get References about a ranch in Texas, is here on this form. Put the name out and you will get enough information to make an informed decision about booking this ranch.

banana
X2..rather X4..I have many bad experiences..So fallow Mr.T.s instructions. food

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 06:01 PM

What would y'all recommend as far as places to look? Outfitter websites? Brokers? Etc.?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 07:39 PM

High or low fence is actually irrelevant IMO

130-150 means... I have 150" management deer but there are more number wise under it.

Aka: "If you hold out for the 150 you just narrowed you success odds by a bunch but it's your world and you may get him... Don't be upset though if you passed a ton of 130-140's holding out for the 150, then last second on the last day you settled for a 130 1/8."

All outfitters you should check references LF or HF

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAgHunter
What would y'all recommend as far as places to look? Outfitter websites? Brokers? Etc.?

Stay away from websites unless it is that outfitters own website.

Look up places and call don't book online.

Most brokers have a way of upsetting guides and messing up scheduling especially "online brokers" or not actually doing anything but taking your money. Not that all brokers are bad guys.

Like others said post their name here and you will find out a lot if they ask you not to or something its for good reason.

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 07:59 PM

I guess im chopped liver hammer

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/06/15 08:04 PM

Word of mouth

Look up ranches in the area you want to hunt and call directly. If the ranch has a website, check out their recent hunts.

NEVER use a broker for white-tailed deer in Texas.

Prices advertised for hunts or classes of animals on websites are often intended to keep tire kickers away. You can typically negotiate a price below that which is advertised.
Posted By: Cevin

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/07/15 04:48 PM

If its with Band of Brothers, dont do it!!!! Want details, PM me
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/07/15 10:11 PM

Careful there, this guy shot a cull, too...It made the rounds a few years ago, not sure if it's real or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkzaSpdDz0c
Posted By: tlk

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/07/15 10:16 PM

check out LazyRhunts.com I know personally - all first class - cant go wrong

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/07/15 10:41 PM

There ya go. Word of mouth recommendation right there!

SD, real deer. But staged for TV. The man killed the deer he was supposed to. Producers got the Perlitz boys to go along with the prank. Though I doubt it took much coaxing. Those two have had fun at guest's expense for years.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/07/15 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
There ya go. Word of mouth recommendation right there!

SD, real deer. But staged for TV. The man killed the deer he was supposed to. Producers got the Perlitz boys to go along with the prank. Though I doubt it took much coaxing. Those two have had fun at guest's expense for years.

Yes it was staged.
Posted By: Steven Bates

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/08/15 07:09 PM

word of mouth.... these guys on here know who is legit and who is not.....

I would recommend Lonnie Walker.... great guy and he will be straight up with you about price.

I've heard good things about Cody Malone as well but I have not personally hunted with him.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/08/15 08:49 PM

I'd heard rumors that video was staged, just wasn't sure. They did a good job!

Re: What makes a good management hunt? - 10/08/15 10:00 PM

TxAg, my best suggestion would be to tell us how much you can pay for the hunt, low-fence, high-fence, native deer or introduced genetics? I could name 10 good ranches off the top of my head for you as could many on this forum, but without knowing a little more about what you want, I wouldn't know where to begin.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum