Texas Hunting Forum

stuck my first doe but no luck funding her

Posted By: Cowboy9215

stuck my first doe but no luck funding her - 10/04/15 05:32 PM

She was 15 yards broadside. Stuck her in the back of the lungs. I clearly seen my arrow hit the rear of the vitals so i know for a fact i made a good shot. The arrow only went in about 6 inches or so. Had a good dark blood trail about 30 yards out i find half my arrow. Keep following her blood trail. About 60 yards in i find the rest of my arrow with the blades broke off. (Mechanical) it was covered heavy in blood. Kepted going for 200 yards or so and the blood slowly stopped to a drip. Then nothing. Such a frustrating thing to happen. Btw im using a barnette youth bow set at 45 lbs. 27 in draw. Shooting 28 inch wolverine arrows. With nap mechanical broad heads. I know its a cheap set up but i am on a budget. But regret not getting a better bow. My guess is 45lbs aint strong enough to go through bone and maybe stopped at a rib or somethi. Anyone have any logic on this?
Posted By: artrios60

Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her - 10/05/15 12:59 PM

You answered your own question. Good luck on the next one, it's happened to all of us. Seems like I always wound up on a long blood trail
Posted By: ancuegar

Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her - 10/07/15 10:58 AM

if you plan on keeping your setup, switch to fixed blade broadhead. you dont have the energy to use mechanical. 45 lbs is enuff with the right point on the front of the arrow. a fixed blade wouldve penetrated more. dont know if it would have helped in this situation because of the shot placement. if you had dark blood, thats liver blood. you were too far back.
Posted By: 07FJ

Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her - 10/07/15 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ancuegar
if you plan on keeping your setup, switch to fixed blade broadhead. you dont have the energy to use mechanical. 45 lbs is enuff with the right point on the front of the arrow. a fixed blade wouldve penetrated more. dont know if it would have helped in this situation because of the shot placement. if you had dark blood, thats liver blood. you were too far back.

This
Posted By: cliffy

Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her - 10/07/15 05:19 PM

+1 on moving to fixed broadhead, and buy a good broadhead. I had some so-so broadheads and they just don't penetrate like they should. I switched to good ones and get complete pass through and they only run 20-40 yards. Even with higher poundage bows I still shoot the fixed broadheads instead of mechanical.
Posted By: bbqfan5909

Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her - 10/07/15 06:29 PM

If blood was dark, then that is a liver shot. Deer will need a few hours to die and sounds like you may have pushed her. Not worth going into a mechanical vs fixed...they both work with proper shot.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her - 10/07/15 06:44 PM

use a fixed blade and you will be fine. We will not let anyone hunt on our property with mechanicals to many issues over the years.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum