Texas Hunting Forum

East Texas Archery Newbie

Posted By: TxPacker4

East Texas Archery Newbie - 10/04/15 02:26 AM

I'm still relatively new to archery hunting/hunting this early in the year. I'll be up in Red River county up by the river. Have access to about an 80 acre pasture, and 120 acres of pine woods with a couple acre pond on the back corner of the pines. Any suggestions on where to set up would be appreciated. Looking to try some new spots from the ground this year.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: East Texas Archery Newbie - 10/04/15 03:03 AM

Your running late. Assuming you have no feeders up I'd be looking for a game trail leading to the pond and get a tree stand up ASAP. Corn the open areas along the trail to up your odds. Good luck!
Posted By: kry226

Re: East Texas Archery Newbie - 10/04/15 04:27 AM

Check out the pasture edges too.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: East Texas Archery Newbie - 10/04/15 07:09 PM

If you have any nut producing trees, you won't need corn. One thing I would look for is deer poop, and a LOT OF IT! If you have acorn trees with lots of deer poop around, set up around this keeping the dominant wind in mind.
Then, find a spot along the field edge. This will make a good evening hunt.
If you don't have any oaks, just start hand corning places. If there are deer there, they will find it pretty quick.
Posted By: boonee

Re: East Texas Archery Newbie - 10/04/15 07:14 PM

2X on the wood line/transition from open to trees. Find the trails to acorn trees, deer poop, check the wind direction and find you a spot. Pop up blind or brush in front of you to break up your outline. AND practice your draw FROM your hide... yep, been there/done that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum