Texas Hunting Forum

Post pics of your natural bow blinds.

Posted By: Captain Luke

Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 03:05 PM

I am going to bow hunt for the first time ever this weekend. I'm after a mature buck that I've seen on camera. I don't have a pop-up blind, so I'm going to have to make a blind out of south Texas brush. Can you guys post pics of your previous bow blinds so that I can get a good idea of what I need to do?

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 04:09 PM

This is where I'll be setting up.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 04:32 PM

if your going to do this right before the hunt I wouldn't touch a thing.... find a good pinch spot in a cedar or mesquite and back into it... your going to have to pic one shooting lane that way you wont move and hopefully be able to come to draw before hes in your sight.... that buck will know if you just happen to brush up a blind that quick I promise.. you need to leave it untouched

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 04:33 PM

I see a perfect spot right in the back of the picture.. you will want to work the wind and be sure your setting somewere no deer is going to walk through

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 04:34 PM

like the base of that bigger brush tree back left of the pic
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 04:36 PM

I have done something similar the past couple years.

Like Nav said, you want to conceal yourself as much as possible, give yourself 1 solid shooting lane and minimize your movements. It is difficult, but fight the urge to turn and look at every little noise you hear. Remember the typical wind dirrections, you will likely have a SE wind in our area.

I have had decent luck sitting up next to a tree in cover with one shooting lane, think ahead for when your going to have to draw/turn etc.
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 04:43 PM

dig a hole so only your shoulders and head are above ground. Us brush thats already there to help conceal drawing bow

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Kenny Powers
dig a hole so only your shoulders and head are above ground. Us brush thats already there to help conceal drawing bow

rattle bug trap lol

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 04:57 PM

This is all great advice. The camera that took those pictures is facing Northwest. So as long as the wind is coming from the usual southwest direction, I should be able to hide somewhere under that tree.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 06:10 PM

I have cut a hole in a cactus and brushed it in for a blind. Take a cattle panel and bend it into a round circle. Then take and wire or zip tie brush/grass to it to make a natural blind.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Take a cattle panel and bend it into a round circle. Then take and wire or zip tie brush/grass to it to make a natural blind.

This^^^^^ ....couple of T-posts, cattle panel, zip ties, and a set of loppers to cut cedar branches.....
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 07:21 PM

Cactus makes a good blind, but you gotta watch out you don't wind up with a pin cushion for a but! Been there done that. Our cactus patches are full of rats too. I put up a popup in a small clearing amongst some pear and staked it down and tried to brush it in best I could. Went back the next morning and when the sun came up a gust of wind blew it off the ground with me sitting in it roflmao rats chewed the stake holes off over night realmad
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: Kenny Powers

rattle bug trap lol

Just have to check it before entering.

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 07:43 PM

Well there seems to be two schools of thought here. 1) Don't disturb what the deer have grown accustomed. 2) Use what's around you to build a blind. I guess I'll have to go there ahead of time and see if I can conceal myself properly without disturbing anything. If not, then I'll follow #2.
Posted By: TXGH

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/28/15 10:23 PM

Walmart is having a sale on pop up blinds they are like 60.00 to 70.00 If you are on a budget and that is not an option go to academy and buy the burlap 3/d blind material. its like 15.00 for a 15 foot my 30 foot section.. I am sure you can set something up easily with that. You could even drape it over and attach it to the brush int he background like a make shift tent.. Cut a shooting hole in it and will have better luck than just in the bushes.

Re: Post pics of your natural bow blinds. - 09/29/15 05:04 AM

I'll make my way to Wally Workd tomorrow.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum