Texas Hunting Forum

Age question help??

Posted By: DTack

Age question help?? - 09/23/15 03:37 PM

Just curious on the age of these 2 bucks. Any help and opinions is appreciated.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Age question help?? - 09/23/15 03:45 PM

4.5 and 3.5
What county?

Re: Age question help?? - 09/23/15 03:51 PM

Atascosa.

Thanks for the help - I think the bottom deer is at least 4.5. I saw him a couple years ago and again last year... but we had someone else say 5.5 or 6.5. Just trying to get other opinions
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Age question help?? - 09/23/15 03:55 PM

Any other pics?

Id put both of them at 4+

Aging pre rut deer is tuff doing it from one black and white photo in a poor stance makes it almost imposible without prior experience with the deer etc.

Re: Age question help?? - 09/23/15 04:07 PM

Agreed Red... we've been on a MLD progam and are currently on level 2. Our manager guesstimated the first deer at 6.5... and I REALLY don't think that is the case. 1 picture does not make it a full proof age assessment. I would like to see this deer stay around for another year - but he said shoot - so I know it will be taken this year.

Same deer last season...

Just looking for other opinions.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Age question help?? - 09/23/15 05:12 PM

They both look 5+ to me.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Age question help?? - 09/23/15 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
They both look 5+ to me.

+1
Posted By: BowMan59

Re: Age question help?? - 09/23/15 05:58 PM

I'd say both are 5.5 mature enough to take unless your 100%sure they can make it through till next year, if i was saving one it would be the second one, good width and ones, get more length and mass and you've got a dandy 8! JMO
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Age question help?? - 09/23/15 06:23 PM

If that pic is last year that one is at least 5 this year to me. Im with the others, they both look mature. We aren't mld and we are low fence if he looks good enough at 4 YO we shootem if they are regulars and we feel like they have a shot we will let them walk a little longer.

Re: Age question help?? - 09/23/15 06:59 PM

Thanks for the input - I know for myself, i'm no expert when it comes to aging. I just wanted to hear from others what your thoughts were.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum