Texas Hunting Forum

Protein blocks around cattle and hogs solution?

Posted By: BLUERIBBONS

Protein blocks around cattle and hogs solution? - 09/20/15 02:25 PM

In the past we have had feeder pens torn down by cattle because members had a protein block in the pen. Has anyone ever tried drilling a hole thru the block and hanging the block from a tree? Hang it high enough the cows can't reach it and the deer can rear up to get a lick.
Maybe even hang it close to the trunk where deer can rear up and use the trunk to balance themselves. Will the cattle do the same to get to it?

thanks
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Protein blocks around cattle and hogs solution? - 09/20/15 02:29 PM

You have some seriously hungry cows if they are tearing down pens for a block.
Posted By: Western

Re: Protein blocks around cattle and hogs solution? - 09/20/15 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
You have some seriously hungry cows if they are tearing down pens for a block.

Maybe put a couple sacrificial blocks somewhere else. They aren't that expensive really.

Re: Protein blocks around cattle and hogs solution? - 09/20/15 03:04 PM

The cattle are angus and angus cross. When a 2,000 lb bull or the large cows want something a normal deer pen isn't going to hold them out once they get a whiff of that molasses. smile

And yeah putting a $10 block on the ground unprotected would be pointless. It would be gone in less than 24 hrs either by the cows or hogs rolling it off. I put a 125 lb protein tub out to supplement my free range 19 head of sheep and it only lasted 6 days.
Posted By: Western

Re: Protein blocks around cattle and hogs solution? - 09/20/15 03:21 PM

Maybe a liquid tank would last you a lot longer, they only get the amount on the wheel as it turns.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Protein blocks around cattle and hogs solution? - 09/20/15 07:32 PM

The best thing that comes to my mind for your solution is an electric fence. A single strand will keep the cows out and not bother the deer. I'm not sure it would work for hogs though, never had that problem. Hanging a block from a tree would only feed the coons.

Re: Protein blocks around cattle and hogs solution? - 09/20/15 11:59 PM

I have an extra camera so I believe I am going to give it a try. As you suggest I may get some pretty comical pictures of coons swinging on the block like Tarzan!

I will get one out this week and report back.
Posted By: 2012hvt

Re: Protein blocks around cattle and hogs solution? - 09/21/15 02:07 AM

Here's what I did with mine. I doesn't keep the hogs or cattle off, but they won't destroy it or roll it off. I used 3-18" stakes to anchor it down.
Posted By: sectxag06

Re: Protein blocks around cattle and hogs solution? - 09/21/15 03:20 AM

that's pretty ingenious.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum