Texas Hunting Forum

Game Camera?

Posted By: Auctioneer1

Game Camera? - 09/19/15 10:09 PM

I know this has been on here a 100X but I'm looking for a good game camera that takes good night pictures as well as day. I have the Truthcam 35 ultra but the night pictures stink. I don't want to break the bank, but I need a good camera. Any help would be nice and pictures with camera listed would be nice as well post them up Thanks.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Game Camera? - 09/19/15 10:13 PM

Moultrie for your money
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Game Camera? - 09/20/15 12:10 AM

I am using the stealth cam 42ng and I love them. there are 4 presets and you can customize them. I like the distance pics. I think they are on sale at Cabelas.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Game Camera? - 09/20/15 12:33 AM

Guys on my lease are using the Browning Strike Force. It takes good pictures.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Game Camera? - 09/20/15 12:55 AM

x2 on the Browning Cameras. I've had 4 of them for several years now and they work great day or night,and also whether taking pics or video. They are very easy to set up,and the batteries-AA's last a long time.
Posted By: redseal

Re: Game Camera? - 09/20/15 01:23 AM

I've been using the cabelas brand cameras for 3 years and I still have the same 3 in the field. They take good night pics imo.
Posted By: Bdontexoma

Re: Game Camera? - 09/20/15 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Txhillbilly
x2 on the Browning Cameras. I've had 4 of them for several years now and they work great day or night,and also whether taking pics or video. They are very easy to set up,and the batteries-AA's last a long time.

Another vote for the BrowninStrike Force.

They take great day and nighttime pictures and like Tx said, the batteries last forever!

You can get them on ebay for $85 no tax and free shipping at times. I had 6 of them. Down to 4 now. 2 got stole on public land... And believe me, whoever stole them had to work hard for them.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Game Camera? - 09/20/15 04:53 AM

my browning camera night pictures make deer look more like a ghost than a deer but it takes nice day time picture. Night pictures are very hazy. have a Bushnell Trophy cam that takes good night pictures
Posted By: LonghornVIP

Re: Game Camera? - 09/20/15 03:29 PM

I'm a big fan of the Bushnell Aggressor HD. I've had really good luck with previous Bushnell Trophy Cams, so I'm a little biased, but for the money, I think they are hard to beat. [img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...1d088f543c30903[/img]
Posted By: Western

Re: Game Camera? - 09/20/15 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: brandon f
Originally Posted By: Txhillbilly

Another vote for the BrowninStrike Force.

They take great day and nighttime pictures and like Tx said, the batteries last forever!

You can get them on ebay for $85 no tax and free shipping at times. I had 6 of them. Down to 4 now. 2 got stole on public land... And believe me, whoever stole them had to work hard for them.

Another vote for the strike force. IR cameras will mot look like the old flash photos, no matter how hard you clench your teeth, that is the trade off. The Browning Black OPs though suck IMO, better suited watching a shop door, much better night photos with IR Strike force.

These are Strike force photos, I get mine at http://www.trailcampro.com/browningstrikeforcereview.aspx Since it also comes with SD card and an extra 1 year warranty.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/20/15 04:28 PM

Those pictures look pretty good.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/20/15 05:26 PM

Is this the camera you guys are talking about?

Browning Strike Force 10.0 MP Infrared Flash Game Camera
$109.99 was $139.99
★★★★★
★★★★★ 4 out of 5 stars. Read reviews. (25)
Free Shipping on most Orders Over $25
Quick View

Re: Game Camera? - 09/20/15 06:15 PM

Link doesnt work, what site? Looks like the correct one by that description.

Browning Strike Force HD 2015 model number btc-5hd

Is this the same one? should be the same specs

http://www.trailcampro.com/browningstrikeforcereview.aspx
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: Game Camera? - 09/26/15 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: brianl
I am using the stealth cam 42ng and I love them. there are 4 presets and you can customize them. I like the distance pics. I think they are on sale at Cabelas.

I have a couple of these cameras as well and they are awesome. Plus I had cows get into my feeder pen and destroyed a camera. Knocked it into the mud and pee'd all over it. It rained as well and the camera allowed a little moisture. I sent it in on a whim that they might warranty it and low and behold they sent me a brand new camera. Couldn't believe it. Here are some pics.

Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: Game Camera? - 09/26/15 08:39 PM

I honestly believe if a camera has any kind of flash even red... It's spooks deer. I would only have cameras on day use only
Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Re: Game Camera? - 09/26/15 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Auctioneer1

$109.99 was $139.99
★★★★★
Quick View

I just bought two today at Academy. They take excellent pics. They take 6 AA batteries and they last forever compared to my Moultries.
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: Game Camera? - 09/27/15 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Kenny Powers
I honestly believe if a camera has any kind of flash even red... It's spooks deer. I would only have cameras on day use only

Sorry, but I disagree. I have my camera set to take a pic on motion with a 1min reset time. Have pic after pic of deer within 1-2 feet of the camera and they never seem to spook. Technology has come a long way.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/27/15 02:03 AM

Yea I got pics of big bucks to but then after a few pics when the deer was looking at camera ....gone. Are you seeing these deer during the day? Cause let's face it seeing them at night on camera dousnt do you any good.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/27/15 03:01 AM

$109.99 was $139.99
★★★★★
Quick View

All of mine are the older 8 mp cameras,but they all work great. That said,another guy commented on them looking like ghost. Some of my pics do too,but it's only because the camera has switched over to night mode when it is still light outside. If the camera is in the shade late in the afternoon,it will do this sometimes.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/27/15 03:07 AM

Yea I got pics of big bucks to but then after a few pics when the deer was looking at camera ....gone. Are you seeing these deer during the day? Cause let's face it seeing them at night on camera dousnt do you any good.

Kenny,The deer in my area will stand directly in front of the camera facing it inches away.They are not bothered by the flash unit on TC's. I also have solar powered spotlights shining around my feeders for hog hunting,and they don't bother the deer.They come on at dark,and shine bright all night long,the animals don't care.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Game Camera? - 09/27/15 05:03 AM

Browning strike force! Hands down the best camera for the money
Posted By: Bdontexoma

Re: Game Camera? - 09/27/15 05:04 AM

I believe some deer do get spooked by it. Particularly on public land with lots of pressure. I have seen numerous bucks stare at the camera when the flash goes off and in the next frame (4shot rapid fire camera) they are tails up and out of there. Now this could be the flash or the shutter clicking idk..
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Game Camera? - 09/27/15 05:56 AM

Originally Posted By: brandon f

I believe some deer do get spooked by it. Particularly on public land with lots of pressure. I have seen numerous bucks stare at the camera when the flash goes off and in the next frame (4shot rapid fire camera) they are tails up and out of there. Now this could be the flash or the shutter clicking idk..

I'm certain they hear the cameras. My E Texas bucks are awfully curious of the camera even after several years of use.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/27/15 08:21 PM

It's funny when these guys get pics of giant bucks at 2 am and then act like it's a good thing. They just know it's game over and that buck is as good as dead. And to top it off most are under feeders. Big bucks and sunlight and feeders don't mix. Lol
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Game Camera? - 09/27/15 08:27 PM

Almost all mature bucks feed at night during the heat of summer. Not unusual at all in most of Texas. A lot of bucks feed at that time since they do not live on the land the feeder is on, it takes time to get from their bedding area to the feeder location. On most TC pics in South Texas during the antler growing period mature bucks feed from 11pm to about 4 am. Many a big buck is killed coming to a feeder or standing underneath one.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/27/15 08:32 PM

Many a big buck are killed on trails . I agree. A pic of a big buck under a feeder at night only hurts you. Better to not even see it.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 03:30 AM

Many mature bucks are killed standing under a feeder in Texas. This buck showed up and picked a fight the very first time I saw him. No TC pics till the next day and they were in the daylight and night.

I had already filled my tag in a one buck AR county so all I could do was watch and take pics. I called my cousin to come hunt this buck. He stayed around after the fight and worked the does for over an hour.

The next day we hunted the same stand and the buck was at another blind inside the feed pen eating corn at the feeder in good shooting light.

He was killed the next morning at the original stand heading to the feed pen. He never made it.

I do not allow and have never allowed bucks or does to be killed inside a feed pen or under a corn feeder. IME every time you do that you educate the other deer around the deer you just shot. I have other pictures of mature bucks at corn feeders in the daylight during hunting season also. IME if you only feed for a few months and shoot deer standing under the feeder on a regular basis you will not see many mature deer at feeders.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 12:06 PM

Numbers of big bucks killed under a feeder are few compared to big bucks killed on a trail. Now south Tx with rifle yea i can see a lot of bucks in close proximity to a feeder. Rest of tx good luck.But thats just in my 40 years of hunting them. Nice deer what did he score 130?

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 12:17 PM

He scored 145. If the rest of Texas ran feeders year round and did not kill deer under feeders, they would see more deer under feeders. The difference between South Texas and a lot of the rest of the state is numbers of mature deer. You can't get something under a feeder that does not exist. I have been hunting them for well over 40 yrs also, all around the state.
Posted By: BowMan59

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 12:55 PM

I've seen it done by a buddy in Iowa on more than one occasion. He hunts a lot of grain fields, if he see a deer entering the area from a location he can't get to he starts placing camera and slowly moves that deer his direction by doing nothing more than putting out cameras. So yes cameras can spook deer!

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
He scored 145. If the rest of Texas ran feeders year round and did not kill deer under feeders, they would see more deer under feeders. The difference between South Texas and a lot of the rest of the state is numbers of mature deer. You can't get something under a feeder that does not exist. I have been hunting them for well over 40 yrs also, all around the state.

Oh it can be done I have seen big bucks under feeders to. For about 15 seconds. You better killem quick. They are always nervous aproaching feeders and being near them. In your situation youve probably raised them up like that their whole life so they are normal to them. The rest of us who get a few years at best on random land forget it!I would say if your killing deer near a feeder your doing it the hard way . Most folks think feeder equals easy hunting. Its obvious you know what your doing. Good luck this year!

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 01:27 PM

Oh it can be done I have seen big bucks under feeders to. For about 15 seconds. You better killem quick. They are always nervous aproaching feeders and being near them. In your situation youve probably raised them up like that their whole life so they are normal to them. The rest of us who get a few years at best on random land forget it!I would say if your killing deer near a feeder your doing it the hard way . Most folks think feeder equals easy hunting. Its obvious you know what your doing. Good luck this year!

IME people who continuously hunt only one feeder will educate deer, no matter if it is with a rifle or bow. They hunt that one spot no matter what the wind direction is. They arrive to late. They spook deer leaving their stand or entering to it and they leave to much of their scent around(no matter how hard they try not to). I like to have several setups for archery and usually have only one over a feeder, the rest are on trails or roads leading to feeders. I do not want to educate the deer or change their pattern or routine. What most forget is that feeders running year round allow deer to feed calmly and approach from all directions without any pressure or human presence...till hunting season starts. We are running around before daylight or after dark changing a deers routine. If you look at the times deer are approaching and then leaving feeders, most hunters are doing overlapping those times with their entry or exit. That change in our pattern is what changes deer patterns, not the feeder.
Any hunter that can outsmart a mature buck is doing something right. Good luck to you also.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 01:50 PM

I see more deer at our place if I just shut the feeders off and haven't killed a deer within 400yds of one. popcorn

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 02:15 PM

I have to admit most of my history, a little more than half was spent entirely on public land. If it works for you dont change it!I agree most "hunters" dont correctly hunt the wind and how they enter and when is wrong. If I had a little peace of paradise all to my self Im sure i would be doing what your doing. If and when I do get a chance at private land i always hand scatter corn and sweetfeed pellets and then come back a few days later hunt it.Deer are crawling out of the woodworks while the niehbors feeders are baren. Its hands down the best way I have found. I have killed a few pope and youngers off public land doing that. Again what ever works for ya keep doing it!

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
I see more deer at our place if I just shut the feeders off and haven't killed a deer within 400yds of one. popcorn

Stop putting trollies and gummie bears in your feeder bolt

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 02:53 PM

Might as well put PorkTrack in it.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 03:15 PM

roflmao Yeah, twizzlers clog too bad...

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 06:09 PM

It's funny when these guys get pics of giant bucks at 2 am and then act like it's a good thing. They just know it's game over and that buck is as good as dead. And to top it off most are under feeders. Big bucks and sunlight and feeders don't mix. Lol

You sure about that hmmmmm?

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 07:16 PM

There are always exeptions. Again Im going off what i have personally witnessed. All I can do. For all I know you spotlighted that deer. But to answer your question Yes im sure more big bucks are killed on trials than under feeders.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
Guys on my lease are using the Browning Strike Force. It takes good pictures.

We have been running 14 of these cameras since August. So far, they are holding up just fine.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 07:29 PM

There are always exeptions. Again Im going off what i have personally witnessed. All I can do. For all I know you spotlighted that deer. But to answer your question Yes im sure more big bucks are killed on trials than under feeders.

Big bucks, hunting pressure, and feeders don't go together. When we bought our property the deer were literally shot out, we saw 3 deer the first year total. We didn't shoot a deer for 4 years, in that time we had other deer move in and several deer reach maturity. Getting a picture of multiple mature deer in one picture wasn't uncommon. Fast forward a few years of hunting on those feeders and we get the results you are saying. Its not the feeder, it is the hunting pressure associated with it.

I have been trying to get our pressure off of feeders for the past couple years, but 40 year old habits are HARD to break!

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 08:03 PM

Again in my history hunting deer big bucks dont like feeders. Im sure you guys are right on what your saying. Again if its working for YOU you would be crazy not to keep doing it. And if it dont work youd be crazy to keep trying it! LOl
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Game Camera? - 09/28/15 08:45 PM

stx is dead on. You've got to have a bunch of set-ups. And you should never hunt one more than once, twice per week maximum. And only when the wind is right. I've sat in stands overlooking feeders until after 10PM, waiting on mature bucks who showed up before dark to leave. So as not to spook them. I will not leave my stand if there are deer nearby. PERIOD.

I hunted for 15 years on 12,000 acres in LaSalle County. The owner had 54 stands and wouldn't hunt the same stand more than every two weeks. He was so paranoid about scent, we took all our gear, including chairs into and back out of the blind on every sit. Mature bucks sauntered in at daylight and at 4PM in the afternoon. Early season, you'd see bachelor groups of 8 bucks with a couple fully mature deer feeding around and under corn feeders.

It's all about not educating the deer. Heavily pressured mature deer, sunlight and feeders don't go together, except during the rut. Go to great lengths not to educate the big bucks, and they will come to feeders consistently.

I hunt 1,800 high-fenced acres in Webb County now. We have 24 set-ups with stands and feeders. We have sanctuary areas where we do not allow any hunting nor travel. And we have portable set-ups to hunt the trails leading to and from feeding areas. Protein feeders with no stands. The place was hunted all wrong for years. We're in our third year of turning the place around, and the deer are beginning to calm down and come to the corn feeders (in numbers) regularly, now. Absolutely no riding around and shooting and no driving around at night.

As for TC's we use Cuddeback and Moultrie 880's. The Moultries were a good value, but don't last more than a year or two. Moisture intrusion seems to be the most common complaint. The Cuddebacks have been running without a problem for three years now.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 12:56 AM

Petting zoos are way different.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 01:07 AM

I have not noticed a problem with deer noticing the no glow ir at night. We have a working ranch with cattle, wheat production etc. I see more deer from the tractor than most while hunting. We also have some huge deer. During hunting season deer will find a way to avoid where hunters are. Late in the year I will rarely hunt at a feeder or stand. Also a big beliver in the Ozonic scent eliminator.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 01:12 AM

Well I can assure you I have a ton of big mature deer under a feeder at all times of the morning to mid afternoon to night time pictures. It's also in my opinion only that mature deer will hang around feeders if they feel safe and have a good exit with good cover close by and very little pressure. We kill a lot of big mature deer under feeders every year it depends on the place as well.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: brianl
I have not noticed a problem with deer noticing the no glow ir at night. We have a working ranch with cattle, wheat production etc. I see more deer from the tractor than most while hunting. We also have some huge deer. During hunting season deer will find a way to avoid where hunters are. Late in the year I will rarely hunt at a feeder or stand. Also a big beliver in the Ozonic scent eliminator.

That could be shutter noise too. I can hear some of mine when I walk by them and I know that means a deer can.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 01:36 PM

I agree with most of what has been said on this thread. Let me condense. Unless you have a petting zoo (deer raised under feeders since birth,high fence and or 10,000 acres for 25 years in the trophy triangle, South Tx ) feeder hunting is the way to go!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 01:49 PM

Corn taste good

Here two of many from east tx.. trinity river

heres one from central/east tx (sandhills)

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 01:49 PM

To the op.. iv used them all. Use to like the old cuddys but now I only use tasco

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 02:00 PM

And again depends on where your at and a lot of other things. If its working for you and it looks like it is keep it up! But this dousnt change the fact most big bucks at feeders at night equate into kills.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 02:07 PM

and yet there are still being pics posted to the contrary. Those pesky pictures.
And again depends on where your at and a lot of other things. If its working for you and it looks like it is keep it up! But this dousnt change the fact most big bucks at feeders at night equate into kills.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 02:17 PM

I dont know what your getting at. Most agree on here they feel same as i do about most night camera flash. Most here admit unless you own giant tracts of lightly hunted deer land,and certain areas like south Tx and high fence petting zoos. Not to mention having years upon years of raising deer up on feeders. Im just saying most of us dont have these options. Then dude shows pics of big east tx bucks at night at feeder(no suprise ) then shows kill pics. I dont know if he shot those deer under a feeder or ran over them with a truck. Dont know dont care.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 02:23 PM

roflmao

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 02:30 PM

I think 2 were hit by a truck and one was beaten to death with a bow.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 02:34 PM

Its just funny only night pics of bucks. Then just happen to be there when it showed in daylight? Why not a bunch of daylight pics then It would be easier to believe. Just sayin. Where you hunt maybe. Wher I have hunted deer last 40 years not gunna happen very often.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 02:40 PM

Flash does not scare deer off. If it did then lightening would have them scared out of their wits. I set a Camtrakker 35mm TC tied on a feeder leg in front of my house in the late 90's I would have 10-20 deer at the feeder every evening.(I had only lived there for 2 yrs and it was 25 acres). The actual sight of the camera hanging on the leg of the feeder scared the deer more than the flash. The first does were regulars and they stood back and surveyed the TC hanging on the leg. Those old cameras made a lot of shutter noise and noise with advance of the film for the next picture. That spooked more deer than any flash. I used to make a dummy camera decoy out of a block out of wood to hang on all feeder or trail locations I would put a camera on. That helped tremendously. Nowdays the IR red glow will get the deer's attention but the change around the feeder/trough/etc with something new hanging there that was not there yesterday is causing more issues. All IR cameras make an audible ping that can be heard also.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 02:47 PM

Well I admit im only not using camera at night(tape over red light) just in case. Cant say I know for sure it scares them but seems to. Your probably right. But pics at night have never helped me anyways. Now on the subject of mature bucks killed under feeder vs trails or down wind of feeder. Thats a different story. Where i hunt its a fact you are better off hunting trail rather than feeder.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 02:54 PM

I dont know what your getting at. Most agree on here they feel same as i do about most night camera flash. Most here admit unless you own giant tracts of lightly hunted deer land,and certain areas like south Tx and high fence petting zoos. Not to mention having years upon years of raising deer up on feeders. Im just saying most of us dont have these options. Then dude shows pics of big east tx bucks at night at feeder(no suprise ) then shows kill pics. I dont know if he shot those deer under a feeder or ran over them with a truck. Dont know dont care.

yawn

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 02:57 PM

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 02:59 PM

that's on 80acres^ feeder was put up the year before

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:01 PM

Its just funny only night pics of bucks. Then just happen to be there when it showed in daylight? Why not a bunch of daylight pics then It would be easier to believe. Just sayin. Where you hunt maybe. Wher I have hunted deer last 40 years not gunna happen very often.

I bought this place 2.5 yrs before these pictures. It is only 234 acres LF eastern South Texas, more coastal prairies.
This pic is early Aug of the buck heading across a plowed field to the feed pen.I had never seen a pic of this buck or seen this buck in a feed pen till Aug the year before. I had seen him a lot of times and lot of still pics of him on corn outside of a pen.

Pictures in late Sept. in daylight and in the feed pen.

Picture in the feed pen at a feeder a couple of days later.

The morning I killed him about 20 minutes before. I was setup in a ground blind about 125 yds away. I could not see the feeder but could see deer moving to and from the feeder thru the brush and trees.

End result of 4 weeks of hunting one mature deer. I clouded up and started to rain just before he came in.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:03 PM

I believe ya. You have pics of bucks in daylight under a feeder. I would hunt there to.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:04 PM

I will say this i know a guy who owns some land in Denton Co and he has a place where giants come to feeders. Its rare there but it works for him!Hes surounded by land that dousnt allow hunting. That probably makes the difference.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:05 PM

I hunt trails leading to feeders and will try to never kill a deer in a feed pen or under a feeder. With a feeder you can never tell which trail or direction a deer will come in from. I let the wind dictate what I do. Mature deer are not dumb no matter what the height of the fence is.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:10 PM

Yea I have a buck on the wall that says otherwise as well.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:11 PM

A agree Mr stxranchman

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Yea I have a buck on the wall that says otherwise as well.
Wow! A buck.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:14 PM

Lets see here. Most big bucks are killed during the rut.Most bucks loose a lot of weight during the rut. They eat very little. Dousnt add up that a feeder is the best place to hunt. Thats just my opinion and what Ive noticed where i hunt.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:14 PM

I hunt trails leading to feeders and will try to never kill a deer in a feed pen or under a feeder. With a feeder you can never tell which trail or direction a deer will come in from. I let the wind dictate what I do. Mature deer are not dumb no matter what the height of the fence is.

You're a better man than me

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:19 PM

Does eat the same amount year round. Mature bucks follow the doe. Does eat at feeders. Bucks are killed at the same feeders they fed at for 10 months now while they are looking for does.
The more mature bucks a place has on it the more you will see at feeders or food plots or acorn trees or water sources or etc. One buck is harder to pattern than 5 or 10 or 25. TC help people with those choices. In the early 90's with film TC's I would never set one up on a feeder. 24 or 36 pics would not not last a couple of hours on a feeder. So I set up on trails or rubs or scrapes or water leading to or around feeders. With the new cameras and computers no need to worry about getting 1000's of doe pictures or moving grass/brush. Just keep hitting delete till you find the pics you want to save.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985

You're a better man than me

The reason I do not kill deer in a feed pen is that I have a protein feeder in there also. If I had protein feeders in different locations that I did not hunt then I would probably say different if it was only a corn feeder. But still if you really want deer to use a feeder IMO you have to keep hogs, cattle and human traffic down to a minimum to keep from continually spooking the deer. They learn the routine and changes theirs. You can still use corn in the spots you are hunting. I use a roadfeeder and it works great. If I shoot a deer on corn around a feeder I do not get out of the blind till the last deer has left. No human connection with the deer being shot or laying dead on the ground.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:27 PM

I figure now after talking to you if lightning dousnt scare them the rifle blast wont either cause thats the thunder. And killing them around feeders dousnt teach the deer to avoid feeders only shooting them directly under them. Got it.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:31 PM

This feeder went up around lunch the day prior.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:32 PM

Ya kill him? Thats what ya want to see right there!

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:38 PM

I figure now after talking to you if lightning dousnt scare them the rifle blast wont either cause thats the thunder. And killing them around feeders dousnt teach the deer to avoid feeders only shooting them directly under them. Got it.

If a rifle shot scared off deer then no one would ever see a deer after the shots are fired around them. Deer do not associate the shot with a hunter till that hunters educates them with his presence... ie.. he shoots and storms out of the blind spooking all the rest of the deer. Educating them to the shot sound, the results, the blind location and finally a hunter. What happens when you do that repeatedly? I have killed a lot of deer with a rifle around feeders and never had a deer lift its head with the shot. I have also had them run like heck with the shot. Difference is what happened in the past. How we educate them before, during and after the shots is what makes all the difference. After you shoot a deer with a bow, what do you do? Sit quietly or storm down to immediately trail the deer?

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:41 PM

I storm in like a marine! Lol Im just wondering if killing deer under a feeder "educates" them how far do they need to be away from feeder to safely take one out with a rifle so not to teach the others the feeder is dangerous? I dont think it matters.But hey Im not the expert.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:45 PM

Oh snap...those pesky pictures keep showing up hammer
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...l_think?#UNREAD

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:47 PM

You must collar all the deer and follow them with GPS to learn they are educated to feeder kills. Pictures in daylight under a feeder. Yes thats what ya want to see. I wouldnt waste my time hunting a feeder without day pics.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:54 PM

No but I have spent 50+ years observing and learning from deer. I learned how spooky deer can become when a neighbor shoots and the deer under the feeder I am hunting run off. That is my education on deer education.
Does bring in the bucks during the rut as you said already. I hunt the does as much as the bucks when hunting a feeder. Keep the does around the bucks will show up. I would not waste time hunting without does around a feeder.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 03:56 PM

Ya kill him? Thats what ya want to see right there!

Yes. If they'll show up on a feeder after they hit age criteria I have always had opportunities to shoot them.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:02 PM

No but I have spent 50+ years observing and learning from deer. I learned how spooky deer can become when a neighbor shoots and the deer under the feeder I am hunting run off. That is my education on deer education.
Does bring in the bucks during the rut as you said already. I hunt the does as much as the bucks when hunting a feeder. Keep the does around the bucks will show up. I would not waste time hunting without does around a feeder.

Oh! so now the rifles do scare deer?

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:16 PM

Oh! so now the rifles do scare deer?

No, unless you educate the deer to what and where the shot came from. I've shot deer by feeders and had other mature bucks walking circles around the dead one for over an hour. What stx is saying is that heavily pressured, educated deer will run from a neighbor's gunshot. You keep missing the part about not educating the deer and forcing them to change their daily movement patterns. If you don't educate them, then the gunshot means nothing.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:18 PM

I have had deer come in the same field while dove hunting. I have watched deer as my neighbor would shoot and most of the time they don't even react, if the neighbor shoots 3-4 times, they get nervous and head to the edge of the plot(tree line). My neighbors blind is less than 150 yards from mine, so it is LOUD. Shots further away haven't seemed to make them even acknowledge it.

I also see mature bucks under a feeder in the day, every year, but they are usually just grabbing a few kernels and cruising on, or go back to chasing does near the feeder, they are there for the ladies, not the corn.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:19 PM

I storm in like a marine! Lol Im just wondering if killing deer under a feeder "educates" them how far do they need to be away from feeder to safely take one out with a rifle so not to teach the others the feeder is dangerous? I DONT THINK IT MATTERS.But hey Im not the expert.

You must have missed this.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:20 PM

Daytime picture

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:22 PM

Daytime

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:23 PM

Thats what Im talkin bout!

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:23 PM

troll

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:25 PM

Thanks for typing daytime I would have never figured it out. Whos a troll?

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:30 PM

Oh! so now the rifles do scare educated deer?

FIFY up
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:32 PM

Just packed full of greatness roflmao

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:40 PM

Thanks for typing daytime I would have never figured it out. Whos a troll?

I don't troll my own topic LOL!!

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:41 PM

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:49 PM

Okay you guys win. Everyone listen up! All you have to do is get a feeder going and own half of webb co. to kill big bucks under a feeder all the time! Just having a little fun guys. Hope you all kill a big one this season. I for one have been snake bit for five years in a row. Maybe I should get a feeder !

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:50 PM

Now THERE's an idea!

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:53 PM

Just when I was putting on a new batch of popcorn

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 04:58 PM

I would not waste my time in Webb County.. bolt

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 05:05 PM

For the record i have had plenty of chances at big bucks. But bow hunting public land isnt for the faint of heart.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 05:06 PM

roflmao You dog!

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 05:07 PM

Is that in Texas?? peep

Originally Posted By: fouzman

roflmao You dog!

rofl You caught that quickly rofl

This was informative thanks to all involved..

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne
This was informative thanks to all involved..

Okay, Mr Payne. Now for thread ending test questions. What did you learn from this thread? popcorn

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 05:12 PM

I learned that five big bucks were killed due to feeders.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 05:13 PM

The rest were killed looking for booty.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 05:14 PM

Well back to work .

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 05:14 PM

That I don't have the time to argue with you stx boxing

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 05:17 PM

To the OP I have three of the stealth cam 42ng and two of the Moultrie 555's, the stealth cams are much better. The Moultrie 333's are a fisheye lense, I hated them.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne
That I don't have the time to argue with you stx boxing

Did you get any rain for the food plots?

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 05:19 PM

drizzle yesterday afternoon, just enough to knock the dust down.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 05:22 PM

That was more than I got. Guess it will be corn feeders only this year grin
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 06:40 PM

Awww Eff it, I'm just gonna put a feeder on a trail to a feeder.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 06:41 PM

Oh, and I like the primos truth cam 46hd so far, it's great for video.

Re: Game Camera? - 09/29/15 08:53 PM

That was more than I got. Guess it will be corn feeders only this year grin

I cut mine off and I still plan on hunting them. grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum