Texas Hunting Forum

Broadheads losing sharpness

Posted By: BigBucky2014

Broadheads losing sharpness - 09/18/15 07:27 PM

I'm curious if anyone else has had my experience. I shoot Shuttle T Lock broadheads (Never lost an animal with one and I love them so please don't tell me what I should be shooting unless it is pertinent to my question :)). I have arrows in my quiver that have been in there for a year, maybe even 2 or 3 and have never been shot. Not at a target, not at an animal, nothing. They are not sharp anymore. It's as if they have become dull from sitting in the quiver. Anyone else have this experience or know why this is happening. They are razor blade shop out of the package. A year later they are dull. confused2

Any thoughts?
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Broadheads losing sharpness - 09/18/15 08:24 PM

Wouldn't know, I shoot Grim Reapers. confused2
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Broadheads losing sharpness - 09/18/15 08:28 PM

Due to weather chance, moisture and dew, being hot and cold the metal will begin to break down. You can resharpen almost any broadhead with a broadhead sharpener. I sharpen mine every season to make sure they are sharp and I don't loose any animals.
Posted By: 2012hvt

Re: Broadheads losing sharpness - 09/19/15 06:03 AM

I love shuttle t's! The stainless version was pretty bad about dulling. I switched to the Black Ops version, and had no issues. I switched to Grim Reapers last year, but IMO, the shuttle t is the best fixed blade out there.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Broadheads losing sharpness - 09/19/15 09:02 AM

Has to be a metal issue. Are they possibly carbon steel blades?
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Broadheads losing sharpness - 09/20/15 07:33 PM

Depending on the type of quiver you are using just getting bumped around in the quiver will take the razor edge off them over time. I used to have the same issue when I shot fixed blades. You should be able to touch them up pretty easily.
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: Broadheads losing sharpness - 09/20/15 09:30 PM

Thanks all. Pretty sure they are the stainless. I shoot a Mathews and have the Mathews quiver with the foam insert. Does sharpening the dull blades affect accuracy at all? Don't want to take a chance when I can buy 3 new ones for $35.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Broadheads losing sharpness - 09/20/15 10:21 PM

shocked
i thought everyone re-sharpened their broadheads
on a regular basis. i must be too old. . .
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum