Texas Hunting Forum

Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA!

Posted By: Ranch Dog

Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/15/15 08:16 PM

Haven't been drawn for a deer hunt since 1986! Said this year was my last of applying. How about that! Either sex for the first weekend of January!
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/15/15 08:17 PM

Congrats! Should be a great hunt. How many points did you have going into it?
Posted By: Eastwood

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/15/15 08:27 PM

Nice! We had two points as a group and missed out on that hunt.
Posted By: J W M

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/15/15 08:41 PM

Awesome! I had applied for that, however, I was drawn for Devil's River SNA - Dan Hughes Unit. I'm pretty stoked about that. Hope you have great success at Chap.

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/15/15 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
Originally Posted By: TxAg
How many points did you have going into it?

Haven't been on a TPWD property in 29 years.

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/15/15 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAg
How many points did you have going into it?

Haven't been on a TPWD property in 29 years.

Another quote in the stack!

In the day, mule deer hunts were in with whitetails and after 1986 all I applied for was the Big Bend WMAs. I think 10 years ago they separated the hunts, or at least I have 10 mule deer points. When they did that, I was disappointed and felt that my point bank should have gone to the mule deer bank. I could apply every year for different reasons most of it was that I was hunting elsewhere. The years I had a mule deer lease, I didn't apply as the season was so short.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/15/15 08:53 PM

Nice! Hope you get a monster!

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/15/15 08:54 PM

Correction I have 8 mule deer points so it was separated at least 8 years ago. I'm not sure when the point thing took off either, I know it hasn't been in play as long as I've been applying.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/15/15 10:16 PM

Congrats
Posted By: El_Numero_Uno

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/15/15 10:16 PM

After 20 years of putting in for the Chaparral Either Sex- I got drawn too! for the 1st hunt; 12/15-19. Bad news is I am supposed to start a West Texas Mule deer hunt on the 18th. I will figure out how to make both work somehow.

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/15/15 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: El_Numero_Uno
After 20 years of putting in for the Chaparral Either Sex- I got drawn too! for the 1st hunt; 12/15-19. Bad news is I am supposed to start a West Texas Mule deer hunt on the 18th. I will figure out how to make both work somehow.

I suspect that in the past they might have let two permit holders switch dates but I doubt it nowadays. I don't care when I go so I'm open to a trade if you want to check.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/15/15 10:49 PM

Good on you winners. Been putting in for Chap since I was a young man.
Now I'm old. Hope I get to go before I have to go.

Cheers
Posted By: DHS274

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/16/15 12:54 AM

I may have set a new record, 0 for 50, I applied for just about everything this year, decided if I missed this year it would be last try, and well, its my last year trying. Still in shock, zero for 50, dang.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/16/15 12:56 AM

I saw some huge deer last year while quail hunting there.

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/16/15 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: DHS274
I may have set a new record, 0 for 50, I applied for just about everything this year, decided if I missed this year it would be last try, and well, its my last year trying. Still in shock, zero for 50, dang.

I'm really sorry to hear that but I was in the same boat. Not going to put in for anything any more beyond this year.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys!
Posted By: okjhutch

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/18/15 01:01 PM

my group kind of feels the same, we been putting in for 19 years and still no draw, we hate to give up now with 19, so we may select a different spot next year, we are ready to on a buck hunt some where at this point
Posted By: bigtime

Re: Drawn ~ Chaparral WMA! - 09/19/15 12:43 AM

My group got drawn for the Dec 15-19 hunt. The group average was 7 pp's.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum