Texas Hunting Forum

HOG hunting during deer season?

Posted By: BLUERIBBONS

HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/10/15 09:52 PM

What is the general concensus for most leases on night hog hunting during deer season? Is it allowed or banned?

thanks for your feedback
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/10/15 10:05 PM

Never allowed it on any of my land or land I worked on for most of the year. Only time is if the hogs got really bad and were predictable in nighttime movement. In the daylight was open season on them, put a bullet in them ASAP if you see them. Deer season or not. Dead hogs make me smile. grin
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/10/15 11:21 PM

You can call your local game warden if this is your concern and notify them that you will be hunting at night for varmints and hogs, and they will make a note of it. Cant promise that they wont come out and check you out. scared
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 02:21 PM

Boy I would not do it during deer season. That is asking for trouble IMO
Posted By: rifleman

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Never allowed it on any of my land or land I worked on for most of the year. Only time is if the hogs got really bad and were predictable in nighttime movement. In the daylight was open season on them, put a bullet in them ASAP if you see them. Deer season or not. Dead hogs make me smile. grin

Yep and I've gotten to where I shoot them anytime there's an opportunity. I'm starting to hate them more than I like deer.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 02:46 PM

Daytime only during deer season and I shoot them every time I see them out and about during the day.
Posted By: esnow74

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 03:09 PM

I have done it a lot but the place was infested with both deer and hogs. The deer didn't care that we did it at night. It is a good idead to let the GW know but it is not mandatory. As long as you are only shooting hogs and varmints, who cares if he shows up to check on ya.
Posted By: kry226

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: tShawnB
Daytime only during deer season and I shoot them every time I see them out and about during the day.

This is what I do.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 03:26 PM

My Deer Hunters may kill a Hog or two during Deer season, while their Deer hunting, but I do not and will not sell Hog hunts on the ranch till after Deer season. Does it bother the Deer, I don't really know,,,but it does bother the Deer hunters which are my very good friends.
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 06:19 PM

No way deer season is not play time going out at night is a big no no. As a serious deer hunter people who play are a huge annoyance. I don't even want dove hunting on my place, filling feeder and checking cameras is the only non deer hunting activity allowed on my property once deer season gets close, now if you see a hog while deer hunting that person is expected to shoot it and get it off the place.
Posted By: BuffaloSpringsRD

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 06:33 PM

We call the GW and let him know that we are going out and hunting the hogs at night. Have not had a problem and do not anticipate having one as long as we abide by the laws. That being said I think we have only fired one shot at night while looking for the hogs........ confused2

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 06:58 PM

One shot is super hard to find especially at night, but now you can home in on 3 or more and it starts sounding like hmmm? whats going on over there. The first shot you hear, the second gets you pointed in the right direction, and the third well distance and location is on the radar. Maybe even being able what style gun you using too. grin

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 06:59 PM

figure out (computer complications)
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 07:36 PM

If you want to stay late and shoot hogs at your feeder, that is okay for us. It is no more distracting than shooting a hog in the daytime. But driving around and hunting at night is a big no-no. And hunting at someone else's feeder is also not allowed.
Posted By: DHS274

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 08:42 PM

If your night hunting anytime of year in an area where residents or others might hear the shots or see the activity and notify the law, I advise calling the local game warden, sheriff office, whatever the case and let them know before hand. I notify my local sheriff office a day or two before because they will get the call out there in that area of the piney woods.
Posted By: rickym

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 08:45 PM

No night hunting during deer season for us. If you see pigs during the day kill as many as you can
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 08:47 PM

Where we are at shoot them anytime of day whenever you want. But there is only 3 of us hunting most of the time.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/11/15 08:50 PM

I see many of you guys saying no night time hunting of pigs during deer season but allow a blast away approach during the day. Although all leases, managers and owners have their rules, I wonder what is the reason for this?
I would rather not have guys shooting all day, especially if I want to sit in the blind really late into the morning, or get in the blind really early in the afternoon.
Posted By: mikeydon

Re: HOG hunting during deer season? - 09/12/15 02:30 AM

NO
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum