Texas Hunting Forum

More food plot questions...

Posted By: lawndart956

More food plot questions... - 09/09/15 01:31 PM

I'm hunting in Wheeler county and wanted to see if anyone could point me in the right direction on what to plant? I used some Throw&Grow last year that did nothing at all. I'm just looking at a small plot,about a half acre. The idea is just to bring some deer in,not really looking to feed them through the winter. Just get them where I want them.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: More food plot questions... - 09/09/15 01:51 PM

Best bet is to go to your local feed store and ask what everybody else is buying. What works in one area doesn't mean it will work in your area. Most of the national companies are based up North or to the East, and are more overall in what should work in most areas. Not so much for here in Texas. You need to find a mix that is from your area. Another choice is to just plant one type of crop that has proven effective in your area. I've had some success with turnips, but overall, much better results with a mix sold at my feed store that they put together. It has about five or six different plants in it that attract the deer early to after the season ends. The bean plants bring them in early, then die off with the first freeze, then the oats, turnips and peas keep them there. By the time the season ends, the clover is doing well.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: More food plot questions... - 09/09/15 01:55 PM

Feeder? works better

oats or rye otherwise but rye prolly makes up most of the throw and grow mix if I had to guess... so if rye wont grow there prolly not much will if your just spreading seed without breaking ground
Posted By: lawndart956

Re: More food plot questions... - 09/09/15 03:37 PM

I have a feeder,and I'm going to break the ground. Really trying to learn how to make a good plot. I will check at the feed store and see what they have. Thanks guys!
Posted By: Western

Re: More food plot questions... - 09/09/15 04:19 PM

Since you're going to turn the ground, I will bet a 50/50 blend oats/wheat will do you just fine. Improper seed depth is probably the #1 cause of poor germination (besides lack of moisture).

You would also do your self a favor by fertilizing when you disc just before planting (same day). If you don't have a soil sample, use a 13-13-13- general purpose fert at around 2-300# an acre. This will raise the cost, but produce better forage and a stronger plant that can handle weather better. Fertilized plots will often make the difference in how you compete with a neighbors plot as well, deer know the difference.

I agree with Eddie on getting as local a seed as possible, ones proven to grow in our climate, many of those fancy "throw and grows" where developed in/for, wetter/colder weather,m except maybe "BOB" oats, they are pretty much used nation wide and have been around a while.

Another thing about "mixes", is the opposing seed sizes, which cna have an impact on planting depth, large seed needs deeper, like peas can go up to 1-1/2", where small seed like rape and clovers 1/4" maximum. I will plant my large seed 1st (the ones that need to be deeper), theses are the seed that usually fall into the disc ruts and get covered when I drag, then I will broadcast the small seed and re-drag trying to push the seed in and smooth the plot (this is where a cultipacker is invaluable)
Posted By: nsmike

Re: More food plot questions... - 09/09/15 05:22 PM

Just a coment on rye, there is rye grass and cereal rye, most of the throw and grow type mixes have rye grass not cereal rye. Rye grass when it's young and tender, mowed often, or heavily grazed, is an ok food source. Cereal Rye needs to be planted like other small grains and is palatable to deer for a much longer period. It's often used because it needs less fertilizer than wheat and greens up faster after a freeze.
Posted By: tlk

Re: More food plot questions... - 09/09/15 05:26 PM

I would go with oats - little moisture and it will pop up and deer will come
Posted By: Western

Re: More food plot questions... - 09/09/15 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
Just a coment on rye, there is rye grass and cereal rye, most of the throw and grow type mixes have rye grass not cereal rye. Rye grass when it's young and tender, mowed often, or heavily grazed, is an ok food source. Cereal Rye needs to be planted like other small grains and is palatable to deer for a much longer period. It's often used because it needs less fertilizer than wheat and greens up faster after a freeze.

Great point, big difference in rye grasses.
Posted By: Jay Brown

Re: More food plot questions... - 09/09/15 06:27 PM

Check with your county agent 1st! Be aware that that are different varieties of wheat,oats, and Rye as stated above. You want a winter wheat that can withstand cold and grazing. But above all else you need moisture to get it up and keep it going. 1/2 acre square is not as good as planting 1/2 mile of road sides, as it will be utilized longer and deer feel safer on it. Food plot blends should be chosen based on your soil and rainfall. If you don't have fall or winter rains, feeders would be better option.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum