Texas Hunting Forum

Tom Green County

Posted By: DQ Kid

Tom Green County - 01/21/15 01:19 AM

On average, how is the county for deer, population and quality?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Tom Green County - 01/21/15 02:41 AM

As with alot of counties, it depends what area you are in. The South and East portions of the county have a relatively higher number of deer and the mature deer will score in the 130's with an occasionaly 140. The Western and Northern portion typically has a lower number of deer (but still plenty of game), but the mature deer will score a little higher on average. Any part is capable of producing very good bucks with management.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Tom Green County - 01/21/15 02:50 AM

There are pockets with some really good deer. Problem will be the long term drought that area has been in. Also the areas hit by the fires a few years back. The native genetics are really good in the county. I know of some really big deer on certain ranches. Those deer will be wider spread and have great browtines.

Re: Tom Green County - 01/21/15 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
There are pockets with some really good deer. Problem will be the long term drought that area has been in. Also the areas hit by the fires a few years back. The native genetics are really good in the county. I know of some really big deer on certain ranches. Those deer will be wider spread and have great browtines.

Ranch, I've always thought some of the nicer bucks coming out of Concho / Tom Green areas annually carried some of the closer resemblance to South Texas bucks than other areas of TX.
Posted By: JROD

Re: Tom Green County - 01/21/15 02:59 AM

Ive hunted and live in tom green for years. Lots of game almost all over the county. as with most areas, the bigger deer are where the larger tracks of land are. As more people move out here, more ranches are boing cut up. Plenty of 130 deer 140 deer not un common. Plenty of numbers!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Tom Green County - 01/21/15 03:12 AM

I love that county and that area. Pretty decent quality. High numbers, in general.
Posted By: Kactuskiller

Re: Tom Green County - 01/23/15 09:46 PM

What part of Tom Green and we can probably give you a better report.
Posted By: JSims

Re: Tom Green County - 01/23/15 10:00 PM

We have a lot of deer on our lease that is across 277 from Goodyear. Quality is "lacking" because of poor management by previous leases but we have still killed 130's and one 140. The 2014-2015 season was only our second year on this lease though.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Tom Green County - 01/23/15 11:39 PM

Lots of pretty 8's in that part of the country

Re: Tom Green County - 01/24/15 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Kactuskiller
What part of Tom Green and we can probably give you a better report.

South Central part of county.

Re: Tom Green County - 01/24/15 03:43 AM

Actually central, eastern side of county, close to Concho.
Posted By: Kactuskiller

Re: Tom Green County - 01/25/15 04:06 PM

If your close to the concho it's a great area. A guy on TBH had a place on concho in that area and he killed 2 150" deer in 2010 I believe. I have also seen a 180" deer come from same area 2 yrs ago. The combination of the river and the crop lands usually equals good deer in that area. These deer were the exception not the norm in the area and were achieved with age. Solid 130-140 are easily possible with a 150 if managed well every few yrs. they have to reach 5.5-6.5.
Good luck, I love the area. We hunted 4yrs between 67 and 277.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum