Texas Hunting Forum

Public Mule Deer Hunt For Next Season

Posted By: Brother Phil

Public Mule Deer Hunt For Next Season - 01/17/15 05:29 AM

Anyone have some ideas on where to go on a public mule deer hunt? I know I will have to look out of State. I am considering New Mexico, Colorado, or Nebraska.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Public Mule Deer Hunt For Next Season - 01/17/15 01:28 PM

SE New Mexico has deer, fairly easy to get tags, but there are a lot of goobers hunting that area and it's rather difficult to find a legal buck, but they ARE there! Southern mountains of NM can be hit or miss. Might look at building preference points in Colorado for a plains hunt. Some bruisers out there. Front range of Colorado has some good bucks as well.
Don't leave out Wyoming. The Snowy Mountain range in S. central Wyoming has some good deer as well.
Posted By: 10ring

Re: Public Mule Deer Hunt For Next Season - 01/17/15 02:12 PM

Several good areas to find great Mule deer. Arizona units 13a & 13b, 12a west,5b and others always produce some of the biggest and best trophies in the nation, The Paunsaugunt in Southern Utah is incredible and offers great Mule deer hunting "my personal best came out of this area", Lots of good bucks in Colorado again. The absolute hardest part of the equation is drawing a tag! I have 13 preference points in some areas and 5-6 in others. I feel like I have a better chance of winning the power ball lottery any more rather than drawing a mule deer tag. Another option is a land owner tag but that's getting away from the public hunting your looking for.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Public Mule Deer Hunt For Next Season - 01/17/15 03:00 PM

I forgot the exact Unit number in New Mexico, but its the Unit southwest of Carlsbad in the Lincoln National Forest. Thats a solid area with good deer numbers. Its pretty easy to get a tag filled, and if your patient enough, you could come home with a pretty good buck. Not a monster, but pretty good.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Public Mule Deer Hunt For Next Season - 01/17/15 03:16 PM

Colorado, western slope.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Public Mule Deer Hunt For Next Season - 01/17/15 03:18 PM

If you want a trophy Mule deer over 180", you best bet on a public hunt ii limited draw in Az, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming or even Kansas.

One of the cheapest is over the counter tags like in Nebraska. During the archery season, I see about 5 to 10 mule deer bucks each day on public ground. I had my daughter on a very nice public buck (170-180") and she wasn't able to close the deal. I could tell you where I saw them today, but doesn't mean they will be there tomorrow.
Posted By: Western

Re: Public Mule Deer Hunt For Next Season - 01/17/15 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Colorado, western slope.

I would agree, but that is the only state I have hunted MD, excluding West Texas. Colorado deer tags are getting to be a booger for out of state folks to draw though. Also have seen a sharp decrease in deer numbers in the areas I frequent over the past 10+ years.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Public Mule Deer Hunt For Next Season - 01/17/15 03:31 PM

FYI, all the Gunnison Basin units just got approval to add back the 4th seasons. (And 201, but that's more of a high quality elk hunt)
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum