Posted By: dlrz71

Deer stand heaters - 01/01/15 07:57 PM

Anyone use these in their stands?

Posted By: Fatdaddy

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/01/15 08:06 PM

Disaster in the making for a deer blind
Posted By: Cast

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/01/15 08:13 PM

This is what I'm going to for both blinds. Add 20 pound propane cylinder (and a spare) and never be cold again.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/01/15 08:28 PM

Hell no use a heater buddy.
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/01/15 09:41 PM

I love em some talk crap about them no telling how many times I've heard the old saying "that ain't huntin" but the way I see it the more comfortable you can make it the longer you can sit and the quiteryou are im sitting in my Christmas present its a tower built out of the stuff they build walk in coolers with the walls and roof are fully insulated and about 6 inches thick closeable windows and my old trusty Coleman Sportcat (which unfortunately has been discontinued) at full blast it's freezing outside and everything has a thin sheet of ice but I'm getting hot and thinking of removing a layer to cool off. I have a couple on Mr Heater's but I don't care for them they only have one setting (full blast) and that's if you can get them to stay lit in the first place. Last season I went on a morning hunt after not getting any sleep the night before and after I gave up on seeing any deer I took a nap in the floor of the stand before I drove home I have one of those big Mr Heaters in that stand and my leg got too close fortunately I didn't touch the heater and it didn't burn my pants but I had a 3rd degree burn on my leg so far the only drawback to a stand heater I've had, however if you don't ventilate the stand you can get aspixiated so you do have to be careful and make sure there is a little airflow in the stand.
Posted By: fbchunter

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/01/15 10:15 PM

I am 29 yrs old, when i was a kid we hunted a place where tons of guys did that. There was an old coffee can and rubbing alcohol bottle in every stand. I remember asking my dad what they were back then, he never used em
Posted By: JDMore

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/01/15 10:25 PM

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395499_200395499
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/01/15 10:32 PM

This wasn't a thread about which one to get. Was just curious if any on here actually used the can style heaters.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/01/15 10:45 PM

I have mostly Coleman catalytic heaters, but have a medium sized Mr Buddy in the big blind. And had to buy the smallest Mr Buddy for one stand, since I couldn't get another Coleman.

I quit hunting in any blind with no roof and windows. I spent enough decades frozen stiff. Had to take my KaBar and chip my frozen tail out of a metal blind seat years ago. I have earned my heater and swivel chair.

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/01/15 11:19 PM

I used those coffee can heaters as a kid duck hunting on Caddo Lake. Dang near burned a blind down once.
Posted By: Garza County Hunter

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/01/15 11:36 PM

Heater buddy...nice and warm in single digits if you have a well-built blind! If you are in a tripod, you are screwed no matter what when it gets this cold!
Posted By: allterrain

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Auctioneer1
Hell no use a heater buddy.

flame grin
Posted By: broz1

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 12:32 AM

My grandfather used those for years.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 01:03 AM

I would be the guy doing the Richard Pryer impersonation running out of the deer blind while on fire. Open flames ain't for me.
Posted By: cos

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 01:41 AM

I use a small single burner stove with the screw on bottle that sets down in an old wellbucket. Keep an old chimney cap that set around burner if I want to cover flame. Take chimney cap off and heat up whatever. Felt good this week.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 03:16 AM

We use propane Mr buddy style heater in blind. My question is how others keep the moisture build up off your windows? We keep a squeegee in the blind....
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 02:27 PM

Yes, I use to use them when fishing off old bridge. They are dangerous. The can gets hot and you cannot control the fire without putting it out. I would not use one in a stand. Like someone said Disaster waiting to happen.
Posted By: Western

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 03:03 PM

I have seen them years ago, but never used one.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 04:46 PM

A Mr. Heater Buddy and a PotBelly Deer blind is about as good as it gets on a cold winters day.
And yes you do stay in the blind longer or at least until the propane runs out and you have to get back to camp.
Posted By: Gobblero

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 05:17 PM

I used a heater like that and also used cans of sterno before. Last year I almost knocked it over and "caught" it with my left hand. My whole palm was a blister and had to go to DR several times and let him cut skin off. Was not pretty
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 05:26 PM

deer stand haters?
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 05:53 PM

Yes, I have used them and sterno cans many times. Not safe but they do work.

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 06:55 PM

im gona get you all purses. peep

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

My boots are light brown, almost suede. So, anything in a nice coach light brown leather will match.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 07:36 PM

I don't use stand heaters or wear square toe'd boots. Call me old fashioned.....

When I was young dad was a coffee drinker but the man didn't own a thermos. After I got out on my own I started taking a big thermos of coffee in the morning and found there is not a whole of things finer in life than watching the sun come up on a cold morning with a hot cup of coffee and open sky over your head.

I said something to dad about why he never took coffee to the stand to help keep warm one time after I got in the habit of it. His comment was that was what the half pint of whiskey he toted was for. He never used stand heaters either. I have found a finger or two in your thermos keeps the blood moving a little better.

for the OP. I've known guys who used the toilet paper/coffee can trick. Probably not the safest but if you don't have kids bouncing around in there with you I'd think they work just fine.

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

My boots are light brown, almost suede. So, anything in a nice coach light brown leather will match.

roflmao cheers
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 09:58 PM

Looks like something that you would have a hard time proving you weren't cooking meth with. I believe they are both OSHA and redneck approved also. That auto, tip over shutoff switch is "handy" too. However, I've heard that they refuse ride in the same truck with a Yeti cooler.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/02/15 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
I used those coffee can heaters as a kid duck hunting on Caddo Lake. Dang near burned a blind down once.

Me too

Folgers coffee can, rubbing alcohol, and toilet paper did the trick for many years as a kid.
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/03/15 03:34 AM

No. A Coleman catalytic is easier to control and safer to use.
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/03/15 03:18 PM

I like Coach 2 section black with gray trim. Be sure to leave tags onit so I know its real, and I can take it back and get your $600 back

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/03/15 03:48 PM

Those pro-com ice house heaters are self lighting and have a great thermostat.
Posted By: TXRobTRX

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/03/15 11:20 PM

Mr. Buddy works for me...
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/04/15 02:35 AM

Used that heater for years and still have a few in some of the blinds. I've a Paulin propane heater for really cold days. With the TP and isopropyl just don't put too much in the can. A quarter bottle is better than a half and you won't have an open flame. Just a burning wick, be surprised as to how long a roll of TP will last. Heat is just enough to keep you hunting.
Posted By: TonyUSMC

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/04/15 03:46 AM

buddy heater! They are on sale this time of year.

Re: Deer stand heaters - 01/04/15 02:08 PM

The Mr Heater Buddy heaters are fine but they have no thermostat and only heat what they light up. I like a good blue flame heater that heats the air and regulates itself with a good thermostat. The buddy heaters use a bottle of propane up quickly too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum