Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder pen height to keep goats out?

Posted By: S.A. hunter

Feeder pen height to keep goats out? - 12/28/14 09:51 PM

Damn goats dumped my feeders three times already. Gonna go with panels just don't know if I should go with hog, or cattle panels. Have any of you guys battled goats and sheep? Will hog panels keep them out? Or are cattle panels the way to go? We have a herd of 45 strong that just started dropping by. They have really put a damper on the season.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeder pen height to keep goats out? - 12/28/14 09:53 PM

Hog panels won't work. You will need 4x4 48" cattle panels and a large pen.

Re: Feeder pen height to keep goats out? - 12/28/14 10:05 PM

Thanks for the response stx. They are 50" high, and 16' in length. How many panels would you suggest? I have read that it should be circular in shape. Do you think 10 panels will do?
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Feeder pen height to keep goats out? - 12/28/14 10:07 PM

2" x 4" stock panels 48" high. Keeps the goats from attempting to stick their head in the wire. I raise goats, so I know they work. You can also buy them in 20' lengths.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Feeder pen height to keep goats out? - 12/28/14 10:38 PM

Goats are worst than horses, terrible.

Re: Feeder pen height to keep goats out? - 12/28/14 10:56 PM

Booner, thanks for your input. I have read where they can get their heads stuck.

Dgilbert, they are horrible, and stink to high hell. They camp out and won't leave. They also rub up on anything standing. They moved in the first week of December and have yet to leave. Never had a problem in three years and it had to happen smack in the middle of deer season.
Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Feeder pen height to keep goats out? - 12/28/14 11:03 PM

If your holes on your panels are too big, the goats will get stuck in them.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Feeder pen height to keep goats out? - 12/28/14 11:20 PM

Make your pen large enough that your feeder doesn't throw corn on the outside or if you have a feeder that you can set the motor speed on like I do you can set if for a slower speed. No corn on the outside, no goats.
Posted By: JROD

Re: Feeder pen height to keep goats out? - 12/29/14 12:17 AM

I agree. Ours are only 36-40" tall but we use 16-20 panels for each pen. We have 500+ goats on our 5k. I huge pen also seems to make deer more comfortable.
Posted By: Twotoes

Re: Feeder pen height to keep goats out? - 12/29/14 12:26 AM

A fence like this will do it...

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum