Texas Hunting Forum

How's It Going In Dimmmit County??

Posted By: Hookem79

How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/07/14 09:22 PM

Will be headed down near Big Wells this week and was curious how the activity was?
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/07/14 10:07 PM

I saw a lot of deer on my way down to Laredo yesterday. Even saw a very nice buck just south of Cotulla while crossing the first bridge you come to as you are heading south out of town. Didn't see any doe with him, but today between freer and Tilden on 16 I definitely saw rut activity going on. I would think now would be a good time to be out there.

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/07/14 10:42 PM

Appreciate the insight, and yes looking forward to Wednesday when I leave is the understatement of the year!!!
Posted By: Texasbdog

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/07/14 11:09 PM

I am live from the stand near Carrizo Springs. The big deer are pretty much seperated. They aren't happy with one another. Not full on rut yet but it's coming very soon. The youngsters are chasing and the big boys are keeping them in check. Only small deer scrapping right now but a lot of the bigger ones are looking for a fight. Activity has been good for the last couple days. You're coming at just the right time, the sooner the better!

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/08/14 03:47 AM

So much for getting any sleep tonight!!!

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/08/14 01:00 PM

SLEEP?? This is no time to sleep! The rut is starting in South Texas!!
Posted By: SouthTXhunter07

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/08/14 05:49 PM

Good to hear! I'll be hunting in Dimmit county thurs-Sunday! The question is...sit and be quiet or grab the pop up and go rattle...hmmm

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/10/14 12:58 PM

Pointed south!! Woke up at 1:15 this morning and was too excited to sleep any more. Pulled up to buddies house at 6:00 and waited in drive til 6:30 for him to getup!! Would have woke him up but he has a baby sleeping and didn't want to leave his wife with a pissed off baby!
Posted By: majekman

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/10/14 01:51 PM

Near Catarina....the big boys are moving around checking things out.
Rattle, move, rattle move. Hunter rattled up 6 different bucks on Monday midday. One really good shooter that was passed on.
Crack those horns.

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/10/14 05:31 PM

I can not wait to be in the stand. I will be Carrizo Springs bound tomorrow after work! hunting till sunday. Plan to sit in the mornings and evenings. Between that time I will rattle in a pop up blind. Any of yall have any tricks you use during rut? mock scrapes, doe estrous, tinks, grunt?

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/10/14 09:48 PM

I grunted up a monster 10 pointer, 165-170" buck at a HF place near Carrizo Springs Tuesday, spooked him with a noisy stand chair. I waited 5 min then grunted him back in again along with 3 other bucks. I got a picture of him but it's kind of grainy.
Going back to my lease Monday, can't wait

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/11/14 02:47 PM

Wow Texasbdog! that's definitely a shooter!

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/11/14 02:47 PM

So I guess they are in rut, how long does it last?
Posted By: Robfx4

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/12/14 01:54 PM

I'll be headed to my lease in Cotulla next Thursday hope the rut isn't over when I get there
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/12/14 02:09 PM

Hookem79 any updates? Or do you have sprint? I know that area is a blackhole for sprint.

Re: How's It Going In Dimmmit County?? - 12/12/14 11:30 PM

I'm going back Monday, have to go to a d#%m graduation tomorrow near Ft. Worth or I wouldn't even have left!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum