Texas Hunting Forum

A very good read that may change your hunting tactics

Posted By: Texas Dan

A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/05/14 01:48 PM

The current (January) issue of Deer and Deer Hunting magazine includes a good article (Under Pressure) that covers a recent study on the impact of hunter pressure on deer movement and behavior. The study was conducted by an Auburn University grad student who placed tracking collars on 37 bucks living in the Brosnan Forest of South Carolina where he monitored their movements to see how they reacted to hunters when they hunted their stands. There were about 100 stand sites included in the study.

While his findings will confirm many of the things you have heard about how deer react to hunting pressure, some of his findings may surprise you. And in my opinion, his findings will help you become a more efficient and successful hunter.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/05/14 02:20 PM

worthless
Posted By: DH 1

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/05/14 03:22 PM

Auburn?? Smoke and mirrors...
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/05/14 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: DH 1
Auburn?? Smoke and mirrors...

Hook 'em!! \m/
Posted By: Hill Country Stalker

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/05/14 03:40 PM

Is there a link to an online article?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/05/14 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Hill Country Stalker

Not sure. D&DH is one of the more pricey hunting mags, so I'm not sure they make everything available online for free.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/05/14 08:09 PM

This is like one of those, 'Make $10,000 a week working from home!' flyers.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/05/14 08:22 PM

I changed my tactics last week.

I scooted my chair over to the other side of the blind. This did not work. I am contemplating other changes. I'm beginning to think I need to read a different magazine.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/05/14 11:13 PM

I changed my tactics last after last weekend too, I am staying home for a bit confused2

Really it is just a busy schedule that is keeping me home for a few weeks, but I have a feeling the deer are coming back. When I get back at it dec 20, I expect the deer to heed my call and show up on schedule at my stands.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/05/14 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Hill Country Stalker

Not sure. D&DH is one of the more pricey hunting mags, so I'm not sure they make everything available online for free.

Yeah, at $20/year that's a pretty high cotton magazine.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/05/14 11:33 PM

Here's a link to the study and more info. http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2014/nov6/nov6_buck.html
There's a link at the bottom to the actual article "Pressure Points".
Posted By: DanPhifer

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/06/14 03:03 AM

Good read
Posted By: Western

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/06/14 03:27 AM

I would like to see the same study done in Texas on a typical property. We don't have as many controlled forest as in that study and allot of the land here has almost daily human activity if a working farm/ranch.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/06/14 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I changed my tactics last week.

I scooted my chair over to the other side of the blind. This did not work. I am contemplating other changes. I'm beginning to think I need to read a different magazine.

This week try cracking the door open & crawling halfway down the ladder. Almost always a guarantee to see something.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/06/14 05:52 AM

Best buck I have seen camera on our place this year was the following evening about 5:25 pm after a nice buck was harvested the morning of the prior day. We also have big bucks show up the morning after hogs are killed at the same feeder and no one wants to hunt it. Really depends on the place and cover.

We moved a blind/feeder setup and it sits right off the main road used daily by our cow guy. You can see the feeder about 120 yards from the road. We have more deer and big bucks at that feeder than the seven others.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: A very good read that may change your hunting tactics - 12/06/14 06:07 AM

My old buck stand is only about 100yds off an oil top CR that has a good bit of traffic and there's a loose board on a creek bridge that sounds like a gun shot every time a vehicle goes over it. There's also a house right across the rd and they are always talking, sawing & hammering. The later in season it gets the more deer I see on that stand. Took pics of a few deer over there opening weekend.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum