Texas Hunting Forum

Dressed to kill

Posted By: DH 1

Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 06:37 PM

I get a kick out of seeing how some people dress when they hunt out of a blind. Full camo, face masks, etc., etc.
I dress in jeans,boots, a shirt and a jacket (If its cold). IMO, camo does not help at all when you are completely enclosed.
I guess the TV hunting shows influence the garb you see people wearing, especially the women on the tv shows that go "all out" to impress viewers with how cool they look. roflmao
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 06:41 PM

Depends on the weather, I will say my warmest cloths are camo'd bibs etc
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 06:43 PM

I wear camo just because those are my "hunting" clothes. And my face mask is camo just because that's what I have. And I wear it when it's cold. I've shot several deer early in the season wearing red gym shorts and a white t shirt. I'm in the blind now in mostly camo, but last week my camo was dirty, so I wore jeans and a brown long sleeve thermal shiry.

But my warmest jacket is camo. I wear it everywhere when it's cold, not just hunting.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 06:56 PM

For the most part I agree with the OP. When im hunting box blinds I wear blue jeans and 90% of the time an old work shirt, short sleeve button up, its not too cold most of the time. When I hunt tripod or ground blind/tree stand I will wear some old cammo wranglers and whatever cammo long sleeve shirt and ball cap I can find. I did sit the triod last weekend in blue jeans and a dark blue shirt and had deer within 30 yards that were not spooked.
Posted By: burkie38

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 06:56 PM

Camo=hunt mode
Posted By: Cobbler

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 06:57 PM

My priority is staying warm. THe older I get, the more it bothers me. I don't care if I look like Lady gaga if I'm warm. Sometimes it's camo in box blinds. sometimes it's not.
Posted By: banderabound

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 07:15 PM

I think the most important thing is worrying about what everyone else is wearing.
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 07:22 PM

Spent all last weekend at the lease wearing t-shirt and shorts. A buddy of mine was all decked out like you're talking about, camo from head to toe to sit in their box blinds.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: burkie38
Camo=hunt mode

There is something to this

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: banderabound
I think the most important thing is worrying about what everyone else is wearing.

roflmao
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
Camo=hunt mode

Yep, gets me in the right mindset. Plus my camo is my hunting clothes that I don't mind getting bloody or dirty, and if I rip them tracking something through thick brush, well that's what they are for. Plus, a lot of the time I get up, get dressed, and then decide where I'm going to hunt. If I decide to go sit in a brush blind or tree stand, then I'm ready. Most importantly, if someone shows up without camo on, then I know they aren't serious and I can make fun of them nuts
Posted By: Branden

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 07:41 PM

Take a ride with me in Paducah in 20deg with 20-30mph winds and let me know how them blue jeans and jacket work out for you for a 45min ride, most my everyday clothes is not warm enought and my camo clothes is made for cold temps. I don't wear the face mask.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 07:45 PM

My big thing is I wear the same cold weather clothes for hunting deer or coyotes or hogs, so it needs to be tough enough to withstand the thick stuff and concealing enough to mask us as much as possible from coyotes catching us. ALso, I never know when I might set up in a box blind or maybe set up in a field or wherever, so I come prepared.

If I know for a fact I will only hunt the box blind and it is warmer, I don't get too concerned about the camo. Have hunted in shorts and t-shirt before. I don't like that though, its like playing football in 100 degree days. Just not right.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 07:54 PM

I wear a long sleeve camo shirt or a camo jacket depending on the weather. I usually wear blue jeans for my pants, though. I doubt it matters much either way, but if it makes me more confident about not getting seen then its worth it.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 07:56 PM

clap
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 08:15 PM

To me fatigues are more comfortable than jeans-I quit wearing jeans years ago. It's either shorts, khakis/slacks, or fatigues (or occasionally warm-ups).
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
Camo=hunt mode

x2
Posted By: banderabound

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 08:22 PM

When I was competing and on a different forum, a single thread raged on for pages and pages about wearing wife beaters in the gym. This will be no different - it's destined to turn into a lovely read.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

clap

up roflmao
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 09:15 PM

I don't care what other people are wearing.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 09:46 PM

We got a few box blinds the windows were cut to big in and it helps if you cover your face up. Other than that, just dress to stay warm!
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/02/14 11:46 PM

I went into a donut shop the other day and turned around to leave and was face to face with a guy in camo with full face paint. confused2
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
I don't care what other people are wearing.

x 2 Each to his own popcorn
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 12:44 AM

If I'm in one of the pop ups I wear a black hoodie and jeans or whatever depending on the weather. For all the other stands, tri pods, ladder etc. I wear camo with a leaf suit on top. or a tee shirt and shorts under the leaf suit if it's hot.
Posted By: wtr

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 01:17 AM

Couldnt care less what other guys wear to their stand. roflmao
Posted By: BunnyBlaster

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 01:33 AM

who cares
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 01:41 AM

I just look good in camo.

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: wtr

Some on here are worse than women roflmao OMG did you see what he wore to the stand this morning, I mean really? How tacky. grin
Posted By: Espy

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 01:59 AM

Some on here are worse than women roflmao OMG did you see what he wore to the stand this morning, I mean really? How tacky. grin

roflmao
Posted By: hermano W

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 02:04 AM

I wear camo in the blind so I'll be ready for the foto op if I manage to make a kill. I do confess that I usually have on clashing camo.

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 02:06 AM

My thermal base layer is camo too. Totally unnecessary, but whatever.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 02:08 AM

Let 'em be and let 'em have fun. Variety is the spice of life. I doubt that 50% of the guys I see with cowboy hats have any cows, but if it makes them happy, so be it.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 02:10 AM

I have camo jammies, is that tacky?

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

I have camo underwear. Of course I don't wear them because you can't see anything.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 02:13 AM

I wear camo because I don't care if it gets dirty.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 02:24 AM

I'm not a huge camo wearer here in TX except during bow season but I don't think anything of others wearing it. Heck, it's not easy finding hunting clothes that are NOT camo. When I hunt out west I rarely wear camo much anymore unless I'm bowhunting. Hardly any of the folks who live there wear it and I just got tired of sticking out like a sore thumb.

Now, all the "face-paint" guys on TV who wear it 24/7 is a little much/silly.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 02:37 AM

I hunt in my camo underwear, no face mask.
Posted By: wfhunter

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 02:39 AM

Deer Hunting - unless it is really really cold I am in shorts and a t-shirt with a pull over usually, but sometimes jeans or fatigues. Don't wear camo much. Trailer is heated, camp fire is heated, hunting jeep is heated and all my stands are heated. Never wear any of my cold weather gear anymore. We laugh about how rough we have it deer hunting. Don't bow hunt anymore, just gun. Now duck hunting is full camo but still dress light and layered as I am hot natured.

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Branden
Take a ride with me in Paducah in 20deg with 20-30mph winds and let me know how them blue jeans and jacket work out for you for a 45min ride, most my everyday clothes is not warm enough and my camo clothes is made for cold temps. I don't wear the face mask.

This thread was directed at rookies who wear camo to sit in a blind, not stupidity on how to dress for riding in 20 degree weather. Looking at the "off the wall" response (see above) convinces me that a hell of a lot of people come up short in reading comprehension. muyloco
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 03:51 AM

I wear full camo and grow a semi-beard for hunting season to not have to wear a mask on goose hunts, I hate masks. It's a fashion statement that I'm going hunting, I look great in camo and it lets you walk around in town between hunts with socks and crocs and ppl just think you were at least polite enough to take off muddy boots before walking into the store/cafe. I will also match my base to my short sleeve camo tops to the best of my ability and also match hats to camo pattern I'm wearing. It's serious business and probably how I;m able to see deer where there are no deer. popcorn
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 04:32 AM

The way it breaks up my curves, very slenderizing!
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

clap

rofl
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 05:48 AM

I am just a poor boy that still wears the old style Carhartt coveralls that are about 25 years old. No camo, just the washed out tan color. A blue knitted toboggan if I need to keep my head warm and old USAF black pilot gloves with a liner if I need gloves. It ay not be a fashion statement, but it works for me. up
Posted By: Chafro

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 01:27 PM

I have more camo clothes than regular clothes.

Everything in camo looks better!

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
I am just a poor boy that still wears the old style Carhartt coveralls that are about 25 years old. No camo, just the washed out tan color. A blue knitted toboggan if I need to keep my head warm and old USAF black pilot gloves with a liner if I need gloves. It ay not be a fashion statement, but it works for me. up

My kind of guy up
Posted By: song dog down

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 02:35 PM

When the weather is warm enough I wear my camo speedo and when it get cooler I wear my insulated speedo that is also camo....

Come on guys are we hunters or fashion police clap
Posted By: Western

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 03:04 PM

Only time I would care what a fella was wearing, is if he wore a dress to the stand, then I would probably have some "issues"........
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 03:13 PM

I have camo underwear. Of course I don't wear them because you can't see anything.

You sure the camo is the problem there? roflmao rofl
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: pea shooter

roflmao

rofl so true!

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Fire1

You sure the camo is the problem there? roflmao rofl

grin
Posted By: Cast

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 04:19 PM

I just scored a new pair of Wall's insulated bib overalls at Wal-Mart (after I swore I'd never go back). It was worth the trip, those puppies are warm.

But really, as long as my gun case matches my shoes, I'm good to go.
Posted By: Waylon A.

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 06:40 PM

Have any of you folks that don't wear camo in your box blind ever come across deer on your walk to or from your box blind?
It's happened to me many times.
How well can you hide from or stalk the deer you see in your non-camo clothes?

If you have them, you might as well wear them regardless of where you'll be sitting.

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 06:41 PM

I drive my camo Gator right up to my stand. It's like I'm invisible.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
I drive my camo Gator right up to my stand. It's like I'm invisible.
roflmao
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 08:22 PM

How about if you sit in a blind in camo but need to be ready in case a spot/stalk opportunity presents itself?

That okay with everyone?

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 09:16 PM

Camo makes me look fat.

Oh, never mind.

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Waylon A.
Have any of you folks that don't wear camo in your box blind ever come across deer on your walk to or from your box blind?
It's happened to me many times.
How well can you hide from or stalk the deer you see in your non-camo clothes?

If you have them, you might as well wear them regardless of where you'll be sitting.

They'll walk up to me, so I don't worry about it that much.

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 10:51 PM

Plus I can temporarily blind them with the light....
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 11:17 PM

I have camo but only wear it if it's cold. I NEVER wear it off the property. Too many people that are neutral regarding hunting can be swayed by a person wearing camo doing the wrong thing. It's kinda like representing your company. Not very often but I'm subject to being rude. So I never wear it out.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/03/14 11:21 PM

My cold weather hunting clothes are camo... so, no matter where I'm hunting if it is cold, I'll be wearing camo if I want to be warm.

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/04/14 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: wp75169
I have camo but only wear it if it's cold. I NEVER wear it off the property. Too many people that are neutral regarding hunting can be swayed by a person wearing camo doing the wrong thing. It's kinda like representing your company. Not very often but I'm subject to being rude. So I never wear it out.

wtf
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/04/14 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dawg
I hunt in my camo underwear, no face mask.

Try hunting with a camo face mask and no underwear. Be one with nature.

Charlie
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Dressed to kill - 12/04/14 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Camo makes me look fat.

Oh, never mind.

You should have worn Tiger Stripe camo, stripes make you look thinner. rofl
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum