Texas Hunting Forum

I might be getting desperate

Posted By: TFF Caribou

I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 02:56 PM

Been a really slow season thus far, I did something I've never really done. I listened to the hunting show commercials and went and bought a bag of Primo's honey crush attractant, and a bottle of scent killer. The corn just hasn't been bringing them in. I've only seen 4 deer all year, only one of which was a shooter, but he never gave me a shot. I figured a little extra candy couldn't hurt. I'm also going to sit from 11-dark today. Want to try to give one every opportunity to come out.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 02:58 PM

good luck. Can;t shoot them if you're not in the stand!
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 02:59 PM

It's been slow everywhere this year good luck.
Posted By: Cobbler

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 03:06 PM

Good luck.
Posted By: Western

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 03:13 PM

Another victim of marketing LOL, Hope it works for you, but have always found "being there" is the clincher. I have as much deer activity from 10am-1pm as any other time of day right now. With all they have to eat, mild temps and weather, they aren't hurting and not as easy to pattern on food. This year we actually have to "hunt"

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Another victim of marketing LOL, Hope it works for you, but have always found "being there" is the clincher. I have as much deer activity from 10am-1pm as any other time of day right now. With all they have to eat, mild temps and weather, they aren't hurting and not as easy to pattern on food. This year we actually have to "hunt"

At least I know I'm falling for the marketing. Lol. I was willing to waste the $17 if it somehow did something.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 03:20 PM

Nothing wrong with that. May actually stumble on something your deer really like. Goodluck!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 03:22 PM

Get some rattling horns and and a doe in heat/grunt call and give them a try. For the majority of my hunting I sat and watched a feeder, it was all we could do on our lease. It will surprise you that the deer may not be under the feeder but are not far away all you have to do is peak their interest to come out. They likely have enough native forage that they aren't interested in any food you put out there.

I sat last Friday morning and saw 17 deer at a stand with no feeder, they were all just spread across a hillside browsing on native plants.

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Get some rattling horns and and a doe in heat/grunt call and give them a try. For the majority of my hunting I sat and watched a feeder, it was all we could do on our lease. It will surprise you that the deer may not be under the feeder but are not far away all you have to do is peak their interest to come out. They likely have enough native forage that they aren't interested in any food you put out there.

I sat last Friday morning and saw 17 deer at a stand with no feeder, they were all just spread across a hillside browsing on native plants.

I bought a rattle bag last week. Just didn't post it because I know those work. Rattled up a buck a couple years ago with a buddies rattle bag. Gunna give it a try today too.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 03:30 PM

Good luck up
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 03:31 PM

Good luck!
Posted By: Western

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: Western

At least I know I'm falling for the marketing. Lol. I was willing to waste the $17 if it somehow did something.

Been there done that myself, but cant recall one time that "stuff" made a difference, just my opinion. Keeping things "normal and being out all day may be the best choice, with all the food out right now, would take much commotion to move deer off to quieter spots for a few days. Maybe try sitting in a spot you never considered as productive, may have been something there you missed, or a food source that just came in. I know deer like certain leaves once they yellow and have built up sugars, Osage Orange is one tree like that.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 04:13 PM

Pray for a hard freeze. That will get them comming in to feed.

If your buying anything other than apple scented corn for whitetails your wasting money
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 04:26 PM

It's just heating up really, be patient. Don't over think it too much. Rattling, grunting, and snort wheeze never hurt IMO. It's sounds they are used to hearing and rarely spooks much. Had 2 doe come in while rattling Saturday. Play the wind to your advantage and don't trust scent killers. Another tactic that works well is hunt where the deer are, trails ect. You don't have to be in a blind to kill a deer. Ive had just as much luck sitting in a cedar bush with shooting sticks and no attractent as I have from a blind over a feeder.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Another tactic that works well is hunt where the deer are, trails ect. You don't have to be in a blind to kill a deer. Ive had just as much luck sitting in a cedar bush with shooting sticks and no attractent as I have from a blind over a feeder.

WINNER

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 05:40 PM

I will say this, my old cold weather face mask was starting to get kinda funky from not washing it in a couple of years. It doesn't smell anymore. So I guess scent killer might do something. Wether it helps the hunt or not, I guess we'll see.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 05:43 PM

They will hit the corn sooner or later. The gimmick stuff will usually work too, but not any better than plain old corn.
Posted By: RDNCK

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/02/14 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Nothing wrong with that. May actually stumble on something your deer really like. Goodluck!

Good luck!

Re: I might be getting desperate - 12/03/14 02:07 AM

7 hours, no deer. Next time I'm out I'm going to set up behind some trees on top of the tank dam. I'll be able to see a whole lot more country. Maybe that will help.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum