Texas Hunting Forum

14yr old doe

Posted By: Jlambe

14yr old doe - 12/01/14 04:56 PM

So this past weekend I was down at the deer lease and talking to the neighbor next door and he said Sassie our local doe had died this past week. The crazy part of the story is that this doe was 14 years old, she was nursed back to health when she was a fawn and had a orange collar on her so everybody knew not to shoot her. She lived off cracked corn most of her life then basically this last year or two she had no teeth and died from starvation, she couldn't even jump the fence anymore, our neighbor just left certain gates open for her to get through the property but I will say she loved nacho flavored Doritos. She was by far the biggest doe I have ever seen, she stood out to all the deer in the area too.

Another crazy part of this was when we first arrived to this lease, the hunters before had basically killed everything off the property,besides a few stranglers that made it. The awesome part is that Sassie had twins every year for these past 14 years and I can't tell you the last time I have seen a doe on with just one fawn, so it's pretty cool to look back these 14 years and see how her genetics over 14 years and see this giant family tree of hers replenish the property. There is no way to count the number of deer in her family tree but my guess would be couple hundred from these last 14 years. Pretty freaking cool!
Posted By: Cast

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/01/14 04:58 PM

Good job Sassie! Y'all should name a stand after her.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/01/14 04:58 PM

That's pretty cool. She lived a couple of life times compared to some of her peers cheers
Posted By: Western

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/01/14 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
That's pretty cool. She lived a couple of life times compared to some of her peers cheers

Thats no joke! roflmao

We had a doe named "Lady", same thing, but never knew her age. Was at the back door waiting for food (her favorite 28% floating fish food LOL) every morning when we took the kids to school. She was ther for at least 8 years and a great companion when I was out working.
Posted By: KG68

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/01/14 05:45 PM

We had a 3 legged doe (missing one back leg from the elbow down) that hung around the feeders for three or four years. She raised twins every year as well. Kinda neat to recognize a deer somehow from year to year.
Posted By: MUZZBUZZ

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/01/14 05:55 PM

Very cool!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/01/14 05:58 PM

cool story!
Posted By: PMK

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/01/14 06:07 PM

yep, they can live a long time with a little human intervention ... older lady in western Burnet county had one her husband found beside the highway where her mom had been hit by a car, she was maybe hours old when he found her. They bottle raised in their yard, they put a orange dog collar on her. She lived 17 years and the last 3 or 4 they fed her finely crushed cow cubes due to no teeth. She would come back to their yard to have her babies each year, raise them in there until they were old enough to jump out. I remember being out on the ranch and that doe would show up at their house during rut, holy moley she would bring in some nice bucks but they rarely would jump into the chain link fenced yard.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/01/14 06:24 PM

Very cool story
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/01/14 06:42 PM

Very nice. Hope I have one like her on my place one day.
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/01/14 11:05 PM

Where's your lease at? Near Abilene state park?
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/01/14 11:59 PM

Nacho Flavor Doritos you say? Hmmmm.
Posted By: DesertDog

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/02/14 12:12 AM

Great story there. I was on a place outside of Normangee that had a doe running around with an orange collar. She didn't act like a pet toward us, but she was way more tame than the wild deer. It's cool that everyone has the same idea of putting the orange collar on their pet doe, it seems to work though.
Posted By: passthru

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/02/14 12:19 AM

Cool story. Thanx for posting this.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/02/14 02:54 AM

Where was this doe at.. I meet a guy last year over in coryell county close to pearl that says he had an older doe pet that wore a collar like u described
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/02/14 04:37 AM

Great story!! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/02/14 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: BigBucky2014
Great story!! Thanks for sharing!

^^^
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/02/14 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Cool story. Thanx for posting this.
No kidding...I have a soft spot in my heart for does. Especially the ones that produce twins year after year. I wish some of my neighbors felt the same way.
Posted By: Jlambe

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/02/14 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Drop Tine
Where's your lease at? Near Abilene state park?

Our lease is in Energy Tx( basically a four way stop with a dairy and the workers that work there).
Posted By: DanPhifer

Re: 14yr old doe - 12/04/14 04:18 AM

That is a great story.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum