Texas Hunting Forum

Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!!

Posted By: TXGH

Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/28/14 09:49 PM

This was my second deer hunt and was a huge success. Not a trophy, but I will take it! One of it's antlers looks like it was broken off during a fight but and the other one had two points broken off. Tge one antler that was still there had a spread that was past the ear.

The mark you see in the photo is the drag mark not the shot mark. I shot this one in the front chest right in the heart. He made a mad dash for about 40 yards. Was not too bad tracking him. But because it was my first time blood trailing, I am happy with 40 mins haha. Now I am hooked!!!!!

Got set up on a spot where two dry creek beds funnle. Then called once ever 10 mins for about 30 mins, and in came a doe and her fawn. I kept my head down and did not make eye contact and the went on about ther way. When they left I did a trailing call of a buck chasing a doe.. and about 10 mins later in walked this guy!

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/28/14 09:50 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention... the 1.5 milmile hike back was not near as fun!!!! Lol
Posted By: East

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/28/14 10:07 PM

Congrats up
Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/28/14 10:12 PM

Unicorn?
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/28/14 10:13 PM

That's a big ole spike! Good job bud!
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/28/14 11:12 PM

cheers
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/28/14 11:21 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: World Casing

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/28/14 11:23 PM

Congrats! banana
Posted By: postoak

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/28/14 11:29 PM

Not to rain on your parade, but is this a legal AR buck? I thought we decided that broken off antlers and tines didn't make a deer count as unbranched.

Your case is even more interesting in that the one remaining antler goes outside the ears. That probably makes it legal, but I've never seen that discussion.

Anyway, I'm happy for you and I know how hard that 1.5 mile drag out is!
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 12:54 AM

Congrats

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: postoak
Not to rain on your parade, but is this a legal AR buck? I thought we decided that broken off antlers and tines didn't make a deer count as unbranched.

Your case is even more interesting in that the one remaining antler goes outside the ears. That probably makes it legal, but I've never seen that discussion.

Anyway, I'm happy for you and I know how hard that 1.5 mile drag out is!

I thouthought the same thing when I made the decision to shoot, but with the spread outside the ear that should make it legal due to the other antler, if not broken, being outside the ear, which wouldwould easily make the 13" spread. If I am wrong, then let's get the discussion going...
Posted By: Western

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: erniejs
Congrats
Posted By: Rock Rancher

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 01:47 AM

Congrats.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 01:50 AM

Congratulations on your success. I assume by your last picture that it's home and in the cooler/freezer. That means "end of discussion"; ya done good.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 02:13 AM

Congrats.
Posted By: agChuck

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 03:12 AM

Nice. Great job!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 12:44 PM

No feeder, no food plot, no problem. Not many hunters in the woods these days can fill an ice chest in the same fashion, or be willing to put forth the extra effort to give it a try.

Congratulations!
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 01:01 PM

congrats
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 02:10 PM

You did really well. I've never tried calls for deer, other than grunts and rattling. It paid off for you. Not easy to score on public land bucks up
Posted By: Mister Sir

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 02:22 PM

Whered ya get him and with what? If you dont mind someone asking.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 02:23 PM

Something to be thankful for!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Mister Sir

I thought he answered this...public land.
Posted By: Rambler

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/29/14 03:54 PM

Ive spent a ton of time in public woods and it is hard hunting!! I would have smoked that joker immediately! Congratulations!

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/30/14 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Mister Sir

About 2.hours north of houston on public land. A good amount of people go there , but it seems most just stay close to the road and dont put in the hike. I hiked down an old closed logging road about 1.5 miles then I found an old dry creek bed and followed it until it met up with another. There was a travel area bust north of where the two dry creek beds met and looked like a good spot where the deer wouod funnel. I found this on one of my scouting trips.. I left a 5.00 chair there with a 5.00 bill clipped to it to see if it wouod still be there.. a week later it was still there so I knew it was not an area with high people traffic.. turns out this spot was a good find smile

Will hunt it again later this week. And I was using a .270 with my scope sighted in at 50 yards... in these woods you will not get much of a longer shot it seems.. I am still new to deer hunting but I hope I am on the right track.
Posted By: wtr

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/30/14 05:58 PM

cheers
Posted By: crooked horn

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/30/14 06:03 PM

Excellent deer, and your pride and excitement is obvious!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/30/14 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
I left a 5.00 chair there with a 5.00 bill clipped to it to see if it wouod still be there.. a week later it was still there so I knew it was not an area with high people traffic..

This is sheer genius.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Thanksgiving day public lamd hunt success!!! - 11/30/14 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
I left a 5.00 chair there with a 5.00 bill clipped to it to see if it wouod still be there.. a week later it was still there so I knew it was not an area with high people traffic..

This is sheer genius.

Yes it is.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum