Texas Hunting Forum

went Deeper into the woods....

Posted By: offinthewoods

went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 01:10 AM

Found these

The smallerbtree was my eye catcher,till I walked 30-40ft and saw the Ceder tree

Thoughts of size? And hunting the line?

Any tips NEVER seen Fresh ones usually old seasoned ones.

Posted By: rattler03

Re: went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 01:50 AM

I've always been told that a big buck will rub a small tree, but a small buck won't rub a big tree. So, a rub on a big tree would only have made by a big buck, but a small tree could be either. I don't know if this is true or not, but it does make sense. I'd say those rubs are on mid-sized trees, so it probably wasn't too small of a buck. But its hard to say with any certainty.

I'd try to find a find a way to hunt the rub line or at least put a trail cam up on one of the trees. It looks like they're in thick cover, so it may be a good place to hunt in the middle of the day. I watched a decent young buck, probably 2.5 yr old, work an existing rub this past weekend, so they will revisit them in my experience.

Re: went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 02:39 AM

Blue box on Right is the smaller bare tree
Pinkish line follows to the ever green. I didn't walk any further to see if it continued. Not sure if it would have

How would you hunt it?, facing both? I plan on moving camera tomorrow and hanging my Nudge Feeder.

Any other tips would be awesome.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 02:43 AM

Maybe pour some buck piss in a scrape if you can find one.

Re: went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 02:47 AM

The onlything near the first rub was this

I know it's hard to tell and covered but had what appears like a lot of stopping in a 2-3ft radius.

Re: went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 02:48 AM

I also did recently by a Magnum Scrape drip bag.
Should I move that to this area now. Its in my Original area w mock scrap . (No success)

Re: went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 03:14 AM

I would be careful not to move too much stuff into the area. A feeder, a blind, any brush you have to clear, etc. may push the bucks out of the area. I'd put up as nondescript a blind as possible, do as little clearing as possible, maybe build a mock scrap, but I don't think I'd put a feeder up. You have good deer sign already, so I don't know if you need the feeder. At this point in the season the deer should know that there's a lot more human activity and hunters in the woods, so the more changes you make to the area the more likely you are to spook the deer off that spot. Maybe build a more complete setup during the offseason, but I wouldn't do all that right now. I'm no expert but that's my opinion.

Re: went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 03:21 AM

Rattler-- I am the only person. I have only built natural blinds never hunted blinds or stands much. I keep it realistuc. I might get burlap and just make a wrap around. This pic is faceing the S. From the little tree rub

Re: went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 03:29 AM

Pink line on right is the small rub...

Orange line leads to the evergreen rub

Pink line on top would be where I should sit to have face to N?

Re: went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 03:35 AM

Re: went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 03:40 AM

I think that looks like a good setup. If you don't have much hunting pressure in your area then you may not need to worry about spooking the deer as much. I think a natural ground blind, like you described, is a good idea. Let us know how hunting it goes. Good luck

Re: went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 05:08 AM

Rattler --- yea, its a fat ZERO on pressure !!!

I will deff keep y'all posted.

Tomorrow I will be taking my camera to the area and making a blind or even a few 2x8 in a tree lol. I use bow to hunt BTW.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: went Deeper into the woods.... - 11/25/14 05:15 AM

Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum