Texas Hunting Forum

Do you hunt alone

Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 01:27 PM

Don't normally as I think it's safer to have someone else there, but no one wants to go this weekend. heading out by myself.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 01:28 PM

I do all the time. My place is about a mile from town, but I still worry about falling out of tree stands, etc.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 01:29 PM

When I hunt alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 01:31 PM

I hunt alone. With nobody else.
Posted By: Aggie Angler 99

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 01:33 PM

You should take some (noisy) kids with you.
Posted By: Aggie Angler 99

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 01:35 PM

I hunt alone. With nobody else. laugh

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I hunt alone. With nobody else.

Originally Posted By: Aggie Angler 99
I hunt alone. With nobody else. laugh

up
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 01:41 PM

i have hunted alone many times. it makes camp boring in the evening, but other than that, no difference

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: JRJ6
i have hunted alone many times. it makes camp boring in the evening, but other than that, no difference

yep. that's my biggest issue.
Posted By: SlaminEm

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 01:58 PM

i hunt alone all the time.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 02:04 PM

I do every time out. I love it.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 02:07 PM

I enjoy it on occasion. Don't get to do it as much anymore
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 02:21 PM

Makes it more interesting when you have to figure out how to get a big one loaded crazy

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 02:26 PM

I actually hunt alone quite a bit. I like having a partner though for the company, but the outdoors and quiet are nice by myself as well
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 02:36 PM

I hunt alone, but only 20 miles from the house. When I go to S TX I don't!
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 02:38 PM

yup
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 02:40 PM

I hunt alone on my place everyday just about. In West Texas it depends on who is there that day, I have hunted the whole ranch by myself a few times. Hunted 8 days in Kansas by myself a couple of years ago. I hunted a ranch in La Salle County 80% of the time by myself for 3 yrs.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 02:41 PM

Sometimes. I really enjoy it on occasion. Usually read the Good Book and/or another book I've been trying to get to at camp. Call or text my wife each time I get down during bow season since I am in a tree.

I also usually leave the 4 wheeler at the house and walk everywhere too when I am alone. I almost always see more deer.
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 03:17 PM

Yep. Always. It's peaceful. I'm around people 24/7 in town. Hunting is a good time to relax and enjoy the scenery.
Posted By: Cobbler

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 03:21 PM

I relish the time hunting alone, because it's the only time I AM ALONE.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 03:56 PM

Yes. Did it much more in my younger days than now. I'm very comfortable hunting alone but have found through the years it's more enjoyable sharing the experience with friends and family.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 04:04 PM

50-50 for me
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 04:05 PM

If you have your cell phone with you, you are not nearly as alone as years ago before cell phones.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
If you have your cell phone with you, you are not nearly as alone as years ago before cell phones.
This is no lie

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: pokerj2
Originally Posted By: BenBob
This is no lie

yep. help isn't that far away. we're about 10 miles out of Cisco.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 05:06 PM

I dont't normally hunt aloone because I enjoy hunting with my dad. I dont have a problem hunting alone, and will when my da cant make it. It gives me time to relax and catch up on sleep after the evening hunt.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 05:17 PM

I would rather hunt alone than to not hunt, so sometimes I will be alone, but I am a little more careful when I am alone and I always check in quite often and let people know where I will be.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 05:21 PM

99.99999% of the time

you should have made a poll
Posted By: tskin

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 05:44 PM

99% of time alone. Never give it a second thought.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 05:47 PM

Only when I am lucky enough to show up at the lease and no one is there.
Posted By: RafterH

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 06:28 PM

Almost always now that my Dad has hung em up. My sons live pretty far away and don't get home very often. I do enjoy the solitude.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 06:37 PM

Hunt alone about half the time....don't mind at all.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 06:53 PM

In the past it was rare that I did hunt alone, now never.
Posted By: RChipman11

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 07:40 PM

Started hunting alone as soon as was legal and never looked back. It's been very rare to not hunt alone since, nothing more relaxing than sitting in a tree taking it all in.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne
99.99999% of the time

rofl
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 08:23 PM

I prefer to be with others at camp, but I like to be on stand alone.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/24/14 11:00 PM

Have 5 guys on our lease and I usually hunt alone during the week. Others are still doing the day thing and I'm retired. No ladder stands for me. Ground blinds are my favorite place to sit and wait for game to come in/by.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 01:42 AM

Not as much as I used to since my 10 year old comes with. Prior to him, yes every time.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 01:47 AM

I do it all the time. Yes there is more of a danger element being alone but you just have to take extra precautions to prevent those careless mistakes that can get you in trouble.

There are times when I really like hunting alone and times when I wish other hunters were there.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 02:11 AM

My whole family done give up on me
And it makes me feel oh so bad
The only one who will hang out with me
Is my dear Old Grand-Dad
And we hunt alone, yeah
With nobody else

Ah crap, I think there's already a thread about drinking and uhhhyeahhhh.

Seriously, I mostly hunt alone. I enjoy it though there are occasions when I wish I had comrades with me.

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 02:12 AM

Posted By: Western

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 02:26 AM

Elk in Colorado (and some fishing) 90% alone, here after WT 99% alone. I "aint" skeered grin

But you always have to be paying attention, especially in the Mountains.

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 02:40 AM

This is how I hunt.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 02:43 AM

I don't shoot or gut anymore. Soooooo why would I go hunting by myself. confused2 grin
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 02:44 AM

I don't always hunt alone, but when I do, I prefer Shiner Bock. Oh, sorry...wrong thread.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted By: JRJ6

yep. that's my biggest issue.

You can always talk to yourself. I hunt alone because no one wants to go with me.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 03:34 AM

I go to the lease when ever I get a chance, whether someone else is there or not. However, I do prefer for others to be in camp just to have someone to talk to every once in a while or enjoy a campfire with.

I always sit on stand alone. My wife says she might go with me later in the year, so she'll probably sit with me for the evening hunts. I seriously doubt she's going to get up for the morning hunts at 5am, though.
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 03:41 AM

I generally hunt alone now that my son has gotten older and our schedules never allow us to hunt like we did when he was younger. Hopefully my daughter will help take up the slack time.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: fredeboy
Makes it more interesting when you have to figure out how to get a big one loaded crazy

I hunt alone a lot so I HAD to figure out how to load one by my self. Not a big deer in this thread but the process will work on any deer or hog.

My game loading method.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 02:16 PM

Yes. I don't view hunting as a team sport.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 02:55 PM

Always.
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 04:48 PM

I have at least one of my kids with me half the time I hunt.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: Payne
99.99999% of the time

rofl

lol
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 04:54 PM

Not only do I hunt alone often, but I hunt in places where there is no cell phone coverage, and I mostly don't even see another human being until I load up camp and head home. If it's my time, it's my time.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 04:59 PM

It's about 50/50 for me depending if the wife wants to tag along or not.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985
When I hunt alone, I prefer to be by myself.

That should be "I don't always hunt alone, but when I do, I prefer to be by myself."

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 06:13 PM

That would be a good one too... but I think you missed the reference
Posted By: postoak

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 07:47 PM

I did! 'Splain it to me.

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 08:12 PM

I drink alone
Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 08:21 PM

I prefer to hunt alone because I take it way too serious. Unless my family wants to go....then it's not really hunting, it's just an outing.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 08:49 PM

Pretty much always hunt alone. Usually there will be people at camp but not always.

I had the place to myself the weekend I killed my buck in bow season.
Posted By: East

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/25/14 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71
Pretty much always hunt alone. Usually there will be people at camp but not always.

Pretty nice photos for a camera delay. Well done
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/26/14 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: East
Originally Posted By: dlrz71

Pretty nice photos for a camera delay. Well done

Thanks. I had to do some editing for the sunshine and shadows in background.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/26/14 02:31 AM

It's probably, not the safest thing to do, but I love hunting alone. Get the place to yourself, everything is quiet. I see more game.
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/26/14 02:36 AM

Nope can't get out of the house without my little girl , and wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!
Posted By: n-all

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/26/14 03:03 AM

Leaving friday for 4 days..SOLO..
Posted By: pedrov23

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/26/14 12:44 PM

Yes, I often go alone. Always have cell phone handy. And I always tell at least one other person that I am going, and where I am going.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/26/14 10:20 PM

Buddy that I have been hunting with for 18 years told me yesterday that this was going to be his last season. He said that he just dosnt have the want too any more. He is currently sitting in my stand where I have seen 2 big bucks this year. Maybe if he gets one he will want to hunt next year. Hope he gets one tonight.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/26/14 10:29 PM

Yup..find it peaceful
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/26/14 10:53 PM

I prefer to hunt alone i don't like to go watch someone else shoot a deer that I want. On ocassion I take someone my girls are still pretty young but I have a friend who is blind and I take his son now and then or if I have an inexperienced guest hunting with me I sit with them. I do have a good system in those rare ocassions before we go I tell the guest there is one buck I am after but don't tell them which one so if a buck I can't resist shows up I can say "that's him" and I shoot him, it may be wrong but it's my place.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 03:36 AM

I like hunting with some guys in camp. Good camaraderie and BSing. But I also enjoy being there alone. The solitude allows me time to reflect and relax. I also have plenty of time to work on any equipment issues and improve and move stands when needed. I'm sure it is a little safer having someone there. But when it's my time, it's my time. And I can't think of a better place to be when I go.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: crankbait745
Buddy that I have been hunting with for 18 years told me yesterday that this was going to be his last season. He said that he just dosnt have the want too any more. He is currently sitting in my stand where I have seen 2 big bucks this year. Maybe if he gets one he will want to hunt next year. Hope he gets one tonight.

up

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 05:20 AM

Most of my older hunting partners have given up the lease game as well. But I'm making new hunting partners because I'm not giving up yet. Hope he gets one and it feeds his drive for another season.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 05:53 AM

Yep, especially the last couple of years. Daughter has discovered boys confused2 and little man, well, he's more about his friends and fishing.

It's quiet at camp, I can relax and catch up on reading and my bible studies. I also make sure I let mama know I'm safe at camp so she dosent worry. It's a nice get away
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 05:58 AM

I primarily deer hunt alone but on occasion hunt with other people. I really enjoy dove hunting with a group because you can talk and laugh and still have a good hunt. Took my 2 1/2 yr old on his first deer hunt tuesday and I killed a doe. The boy hasn't stopped talking about it. I will enjoy hunting with my son as long as he will hunt with me.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 06:06 AM

That's awesome Sapper, way to get that young man out there up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 06:08 AM

Thanks TreeBass. I did a write up with pics and a short video in the photo section if you would like to check it out.
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 07:33 AM

I rifle and bow hunt for deer and bear almost exclusively alone. Last season I had company maybe 3 times. Always have a first aid kit, head lamp with spare batteries, 2 knives, small hatchet, small air acetylene torch, flint and magnesium block, matches, compass, tarp, down sleeping bag, 100 feet of paracord, jerky, granola bars, water and a flask of scotch in my pack. When the snow is deep enough I am on snowshoes with a toboggan. The areas I hunt have unpredictable lake effect weather and the forecast is often wrong and there is always a chance you have to hunker down until the weather blows over. Whenever possible I try to avoid the extreme cold but sometimes it happens:

Temperature on the photo is correct. This was the day after I filled a doe only tag with the bow. I hit the bush around noon and temp was about 10F. Arrowed the doe at about 4:30 pm but she was single lung and gut shot so I did not recover her until about 9:30pm. Made it back to the truck at 11:00 pm and temperature had dropped to -18F and bottomed out the next morning at -41F.

Days like that make me question my judgement but I love the absolute solitude and figure if I do my part it'll all work out and if it doesn't than I guess it's my time.

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 11:52 AM

I love to hunt, alone, with a buddy, especially with my wife! There's just something about hunting alone, being in the country and seeing the amazing beauty of God's creation! Wow...it's simply awesome! There's just something about it...I truly have never felt as close to The Lord anywhere else as I do when I'm hunting, especially when I'm hunting alone.

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 05:28 PM

One thing the last two weeks in Missouri taught me is my toes and fingers can't handle the extreme cold anymore. I don't know if it has to do with my medical history or I'm just a candya$$. But hunting alone does me good. And often when I was younger I was on leases where I was the only serious bowhunter who went during archery season regularly. Sharing it with a friend or kid does them good and we both win. I wouldn't go on a ten day elk hunt in the mountains alone but four or five days at the deer lease is something I have been doing regular for years. This year being retired it has given me more freedom to hunt during the week and I am enjoying it. Today though is with the family. Y'all have a blessed Thanksgiving and safe and good hunting when you do hit the field.
Posted By: 10 point

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 07:44 PM

I hunt alone most times but someone knows were I'm at.
Posted By: BrazosHunter

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 10:23 PM

depends on where I'm hunting.. close to home and civilization I prefer to hunt solo and always have. Way up north in the cold of Michigan's UP I want an army back at the cabin keeping the home fire burning.. cold and tired there's no better sight at dusk than that warm glow from the cabin window when you have been tromping through snow covered woods all day..

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/27/14 11:06 PM

I'm looking forward to it! I'll be out there tomorrow and Saturday. Got clearace for next week too! Bonus.

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/28/14 04:58 PM

I'm actually liking this quite a lot. Got the whole place to myself.

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/28/14 08:02 PM

good luck with your hunt
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/28/14 08:12 PM

I'm a loner, and loners gotta be alone.
Posted By: txwingnut

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/30/14 01:07 AM

I always hunted alone, till this year. I had a heart attack in the woods a few weeks ago. Luckily my nearest neighbor was able to find me and get EMS to me... next year Ill have a partner with me.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/30/14 01:33 AM

Im here alone right now. There times it's good but I like the company at camp.

Re: Do you hunt alone - 11/30/14 02:32 AM

Got skunked, but had a good time. Camp will be full next week.
Posted By: tholloway

Re: Do you hunt alone - 12/01/14 02:26 AM

i have hunted alone, for many years, since i lost my greatest companion. But he is still with me every time im in the woods
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum