Texas Hunting Forum

Electric fences hurting my hunting?

Posted By: redskeeter1020

Electric fences hurting my hunting? - 11/23/14 04:00 PM

The landowner on my lease has put electric fences up this past spring on every fence line on my 200 acre lease in Hopkins County because he's running goats on it now outside of hunting season. I've been on the lease for four years now and I have not seen the deer that I normally see. Can I contribute this to the electric fences??? Is it time for me to move on??? Any past experience with this would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Electric fences hurting my hunting? - 11/23/14 04:01 PM

And I've asked him to leave them off during the season and he won't allow it
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Electric fences hurting my hunting? - 11/23/14 04:03 PM

Our landowner had emergency grazed his cattle on CRP a few years ago. He ran an electric fence across the CRP. It didn't seem to have a big effect on the deer. They walked the same trails across the CRP and jumped the wire when they approached it.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Electric fences hurting my hunting? - 11/23/14 04:18 PM

On our last lease, I ran electric fence wire along the top strand of my feeder pen. The deer quickly learned to either jump the fence, or crawl underneath it.
Posted By: Western

Re: Electric fences hurting my hunting? - 11/23/14 04:22 PM

Might depend on how the fence is set up, if it is a wire or 2 on the existing fence, shouldn't make much difference. If it is built like a secondary fence, a few feet off the primary, then that could be a problem.

IMO, you are likely not seeing as much deer activity as everyone else, due to extra browse for this time of year. Should be getting better for everyone though I would think, as those resources start dwindling.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Electric fences hurting my hunting? - 11/23/14 04:34 PM

Goats are a major part of the problem if there are a lot of them on the property. How close to the original fence is the electric? What kind of fence is the old fence? How many wires on the electric? Deer have poor depth perception and if the two fences are 2-3' apart the deer will not likely jump the fences unless pressured IME.
Posted By: Western

Re: Electric fences hurting my hunting? - 11/23/14 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Goats are a major part of the problem if there are a lot of them on the property. How close to the original fence is the electric? What kind of fence is the old fence? How many wires on the electric? Deer have poor depth perception and if the two fences are 2-3' apart the deer will not likely jump the fences unless pressured IME.

grin

popcorn
Posted By: DayWalker

Re: Electric fences hurting my hunting? - 11/23/14 04:49 PM

Goats and deer compete for the same forbs so its probably not a great situation

Re: Electric fences hurting my hunting? - 11/23/14 06:37 PM

He replaced his old barb wire with a five line electric fence
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Electric fences hurting my hunting? - 11/23/14 06:41 PM

We used a five wire(electric rope) to fence off food plots to keep deer of them till they had enough growth on them. It was only about 4 1/2' tall and all 5 wires were "hot". Deer do not like to jump any a 48" net wire or 7 wire barbwire fence much less an electric fence. Once they get hit by it they usually won't challenge it until forced. The fence is your problem for not seeing deer, the goats aren't helping any.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum