Texas Hunting Forum

Winter food plots??.. What say y'all

Posted By: txhunter1010

Winter food plots??.. What say y'all - 11/21/14 02:18 AM

Ok so just kinda thinkin ahead to next year.. Thought about doing a oat, pea, mix for a winter plot or two next year... During deer season out land owner takes his cows off the place so it would work out good cause then after deer season the cows can eat too.. Anyway what do y'all plant or have had more good with than other?.. The neighbor has just a small oat patch that we always see deer on and so if there is something to mix with oats that deer would find better to come to outs more than what would that be if anything??.. Thanks
Posted By: Western

Re: Winter food plots??.. What say y'all - 11/21/14 02:25 AM

Where you plant, can be as attractive as what you plant. A plot in the open will get used, but not as much as 1-200' wide, irregular plot ( peanut shape kind of) with good browse and cover on the edges.

Add 40% Wheat seed to your oats and fertilize according to your soil sample (about $20 thru Tesas A&M) Allot of guys dont drop the coin for fertilizer and that could make the difference in nutrition enough to draw the deer to your plot IMO. BTW, I like wheat since it can handle colder temps than oats, still believe deer like the oats better though, but if you get 2 weeks of damn cold, you may still have some wheat growing good.

I have never lost an oat plot in N Texas to cold though, usually more to dry weather.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Winter food plots??.. What say y'all - 11/21/14 10:42 AM

Gotcha I may try wheat too
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Winter food plots??.. What say y'all - 11/21/14 01:13 PM

Oats are my basic staple. This year I added a winter mix from MBS Wildlife out of Denton called Buck Plot Booster. It has rape, peas, turnips, etc. They seem to love it.

Fertilizing is a must.....

Most of the national stuff in Cabelas, BPS, etc. are really more Spring mixes and a lot of it dies after a freeze.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Winter food plots??.. What say y'all - 11/21/14 01:52 PM

Never had much luck with peas or turnips, but wheat always attracts deer it seems.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Winter food plots??.. What say y'all - 11/21/14 03:18 PM

we stick with a mix of oats and wheat. Oats usually come up first, but the wheat will hang around into spring, depending on moisture. The oats and wheat will come up and grow on their own, but they will do much better with fertilizer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum