Texas Hunting Forum

Just talked to our neighbor

Posted By: txhunter1010

Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 03:13 AM

I've been wanting to ask him since last year if who all hunts there 90 acres and how picky are they with what they shoot..?... He says its just him and a couple buddies.. And I asked if they r picky or anything goes? He says a little of both!!.. How am I suppose to take that answer.. Should we find another lease or don't worry bout it cause other than them and us there is no other hunters..
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 03:29 AM

If you aren't hunting his place I wouldn't worry about what they do
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 03:30 AM

Don't worry about it. Might be a time where you get a chance to lease it.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 03:41 AM

His place to do as he pleases as long as he doesn't break any laws. Just keep up on your side.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By: DUKFVR
His place to do as he pleases as long as he doesn't break any laws. Just keep up on your side.

x2
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 11:24 AM

Neighbor's??

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5430596/1
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 11:31 AM

X100 what others have said above. How big is your place?
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 11:51 AM

Hahaha, I was wondering, too.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 01:47 PM

That probably means the harvest standards differ from one guy to the next. You've opened a channel of communication, which is a very good thing in itself and something that can be built upon. Such relationships are usually slow and take years to develop as each season passes. Hopefully, one of you will end up taking a nice buck, the knowledge of which can be shared as an example of what can be achieved through good management practices. Just as knowing your neighbors shoot anything that moves can impact your harvest decisions, knowing they are holding back and getting good results will do the same.

You can also drop small points, such as how you keep seeing more deer as the pressure is increased on the places around you. There's no question that a lot of shooting on one property will cause deer to move next door where things are much more quiet. And nothing can make a hunter re-think his ways than learning his neighbors are seeing lots of deer when he sits in the stand all day and sees nothing. Just go slow, check in periodically, and keep an attitude that good things will result if we work together as the backdrop,.

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Enter Standman

Hahaha, I was wondering, too.

No not me.. Lol
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 02:02 PM

Little of both can mean lots of things, I wouldn't sweat it. I use to get really aggravated to see a young buck hanging at the neighbors, but that's there right as hunters . So I always just try to be polite and congratulate them.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 02:12 PM

I am super picky about the deer I shoot on my place.

At the same time, I have to admit it would get under my skin if a neighbor started quizzing me about what type of deer I shoot on my own place.

Proper neighbor protocol is to be friendly but don't get anywhere close to anything in the conversation that could be considered prying. If they want to share, they will and you can follow their lead if you are so inclined. As you get to know them better, this usually takes care of itself.

But if I just hauled off and asked a neighbor a detailed question about what takes place on his property, a big fat "None of your d#*# business." might be the answer. And I would have it coming.
Posted By: Western

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 02:24 PM

I guess I'm different, I don't see it as intrusive to ask if they have a management plan and what that might be. I don't see it any different than asking them how their garden grew and what plants they tried?

If someone got defensive by that, then that would basically tell their "plan" IMO.

Notice I said "asking", not "telling" them how to manage. Telling would be different unless they asked, or seemed adult enough to take a hint.

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 02:26 PM

Well I know last year they shot a really tall brow and tined 8 that I passed on because he was only prob 3.. 3.5 at most.. He showed me a pic of a 8 point with a 18 inch inside spread they shot last week.. Nice deer so I don't know.. I guess unless I have a hf you will always have neighbors...
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 02:28 PM

I see that as different than the garden question. Hunting is a pretty personal think. IDK it may be that growing up in east TX it's just in my DNA not to pry or even get close to prying when talking to someone about what goes on on their land.

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 02:29 PM

When I asked him what they do and he said a little of both.. All I said was that's cool.. And then said I don't know if u have cameras up but there r a lot if good young bucks and he said yes so I said yeah I think if we can let some of em walk we will have a honey while out here and he agreed..

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I see that as different than the garden question. Hunting is a pretty personal think. IDK it may be that growing up in east TX it's just in my DNA not to pry or even get close to prying when talking to someone about what goes on on their land.

I see a correlation, but in one particular detail, you wouldn't have to worry about me coming over and stealing your prized watermelon. Deer cross property lines, I think that is what seems to be the factor, a control issue. Some want only big deer and hunt that way, while the neighbor may hunt in another fashion. Not saying one is better than the other. Maybe that is the reason some are more guarded about it?

For the record, I wouldn't want my neighbors shooting every thing they see (most mine do) and I have no problem mentioning "survival of the herd", but at a proper time,. I'm not going over to someones house for that purpose, in that case, I'd agree with you 100%
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 02:40 PM

I think it is in the way you ask things. If I said y'all kill some pretty good deer usually? Or been seeing anything worth shooting? That's just polite conversation. However if I said, y'all shoot big deer, or y'all just meat hunters? That might be offensive. In my experience, I can tell a lot about someone's deer hunting goals in a 5 min. conversation.

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
When I asked him what they do and he said a little of both.. All I said was that's cool.. And then said I don't know if u have cameras up but there r a lot if good young bucks and he said yes so I said yeah I think if we can let some of em walk we will have a honey while out here and he agreed..

IMO, you handled that pretty good, not too direct, but said what you had to and got a "decent" response. Now let it roll and see what happens. Just remember, their idea of a good buck may be far different than yours, in that case, got to love AR restrictions grin
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 02:48 PM

Little of both probably means they're each getting at least one buck, and if they don't see a good one pretty soon then they likely shoot whatever. 3 guys on 90 acres? What county, or at least what are your numbers like? Sounds like they are taking too many deer, most likely.

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 02:49 PM

Western yeah I'm gonna see what happens.. Hopefully it is good for us all
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 05:20 PM

Again, just go slow and realize it could take several seasons for the relationship to grow and begin producing better results.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Just talked to our neighbor - 11/19/14 05:27 PM

I can see the rack the neighbors hang their deer on. They talk a good management plan, but shoot another.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum